Leaving Heathrow airport during layover

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5th, 2014, 04:28 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will have a 3 hour layover at Heathrow on my way to Budapest on 22 May. Will there be enough time for me to go into London to visit some friends there? Will there be a problem with security if I leave the airport? Thank you for your suggestions.
Old Apr 5th, 2014, 05:33 PM

No. It takes about 40/45 minutes to get into London by either car service or tube, and you will certainly have to go through security if you leave the airport.
Old Apr 5th, 2014, 06:39 PM

It's possible 3 hours might not even be enough time to get through immigration and then turn around and go right back through security to get to your plane!

I'm not joking. A couple of years ago, on a trip to the UK, it took me 2 hours from the time I deplaned until I was through immigration.
Old Apr 5th, 2014, 07:21 PM

You also may have to switch terminals between landing and leaving, another time constraint.
Old Apr 5th, 2014, 08:14 PM

If it's possible, perhaps your friends could come to the airport and have coffee etc with you. Definitely not time for you to try to go to London.
Old Apr 5th, 2014, 08:23 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
>>Will there be enough time for me to go into London to visit some friends there?<<

Absolutely not.

>>Will there be a problem with security if I leave the airport?<<

Security isn't the issue - yeas one can leave the airport. But you simply don't have any time. In fact 3 hours is about the least I'm comfortable w/ making a connection at LHR - and that is only changing terminals, not going anywhere.

>>If it's possible, perhaps your friends could come to the airport and have coffee etc with you.<<

Possible but not necessarily. You'd have to clear through immigration, go land side and then go back through security so it will be close.
Old Apr 5th, 2014, 11:44 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for your responses. I was afraid there wouldn't be enough time, so I guess I'll just have to ask my friends if they can come to the airport.
Old Apr 5th, 2014, 11:44 PM

Not a chance in 3 hours to get to London, meet with your friends and then come back for the next flight. You should ask them to come to the airport and meet you there.
Old Apr 6th, 2014, 09:37 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
I wouldn't even count on being able to visit w/ them at the airport. You have no control over how long immigration will take. Plus w/ you flying on you might come under a bit more scrutiny - 'why you areyou exiting for less than an hour?' .

Which terminals are you arriving at and departing from? If you leave / go through immigration, then you'll have to transfer to the 2nd terminal landside.
Old Apr 6th, 2014, 09:39 AM

I'm also in agreement that I doubt if you will have enough time even to visit with friends who come to the airport.

If your incoming flight is delayed, it's ALL OVER. You simply can't get over to your gate in time.