clearing at the airport

Search

clearing at the airport

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2nd, 2009, 12:32 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
clearing at the airport

how much time should i allow upon arrival and departing at the airport??

customs

Oyster card -

checking in

what else?

we leave at 12:30am - staying at City Street Travelodge and want to get to airport plenty of time before our plan leaves.

would leaving the hotel at 8:30 give us enough time - of course barring anything happening.....
Old Jan 2nd, 2009, 12:35 PM

Which airport?
Old Jan 2nd, 2009, 12:49 PM
yk

which airport and how are you getting to the airport?

Not sure what you mean by customs... you don't go through customs when you are departing from an airport.

If you are doing some serious shopping in London, you'll need extra time for VAT refund.

turning in an Oyster card takes a few minutes.
Old Jan 2nd, 2009, 12:50 PM

You mean immigration, rather than customs.

I believe you are arriving at Heathrow, given your other posts about taking the tube. Immigration has taken me anywhere from 10 minutes to 3 hours to get through on many previous visits to London.

The last couple of visits, it was fairly fast. Landing at 11 am, getting luggage, getting through immigration, then to the tube and then into town and from the S. Kensington stop to the hotel would take me roughly 2 hours.

12:30 am departure- so at night? I'm confused by that.
If it's a 12:30 pm (noon) departure, then leaving at 8:30 should be OK - I would maybe leave at 8:15.

Make sure you check on the tube when you are headed back to the airport. One year I happened to turn the TV just as we were leaving the room in the morning and learned there was a wildcat walkout and the Picadilly line wasn't running. Big scramble to try to get a cab!! We ended up with one and got to the airport with time to spare, but it cost us.

Old Jan 2nd, 2009, 01:00 PM
yk

Based on your other post, I think you meant your flight departs at 12:30PM, not 12:30am; so you're asking if leaving from the hotel at 8:30am will be enough time?

And based on your other post, I assume you're thinking of taking the tube to Heathrow airport on your departure day? And your departure date is March 16, which is a weekday I believe.

Also, I think you meant the City Road Travelodge, not City Street.

The tube trip itself will take about 1 hr 15 minutes. Plus however long it takes to walk from travelodge to tube station. Also, it's about a 5-10 min walk from the Heathrow tube station to the actual terminal.

All in all, it probably will take 2 hours from leaving your hotel to arriving at Heathrow terminal for check-in, which will leave you just about 2 hours prior to departure.

If you can, I'd leave 15 minutes sooner.
Old Jan 2nd, 2009, 01:08 PM
Original Poster

thanks for figuring my mess out!! yes on all counts - 12:30 PM and City Road...

leaving at 8:00 might be my best bet.

What can i expect then when we arrive and depart??

I have only traveled in the US.

security check

tickets

get/return OYster

possibly VAT refund

Customs - Immigration - whats the difference? is that coming into and out of UK??
Old Jan 2nd, 2009, 01:33 PM
yk

1) Arrive at Heathrow airport tube station, return your Oyster for refund. (make sure you know which terminal you're departing: there are 3 Heathrow stops: T1/2/3; T4; and T5

2) Walk from tube station to your terminal for check-in

3) Some airlines allow check-in at kiosk, which is faster than standing in line. If you have to stand in line, you'll be asked a bunch of security questions (did you purchase any electronics; did you have any of your electronics repaired etc)

4) After check-in, you take your boarding pass to enter security.

5) After you entered the secured area, you'll pass thru security and immigration (the officer will stamp your passport; takes less than 1 min)

6) Free to shop at the many duty-free shops at the terminal

7) keep an eye on the display board for your flight. At Heathrow, some gates are a good 10-15 min walk from the main shopping area.

8) When you get to your gate, you'll probably go thru secondary questioning (did you have your luggage w/you at all times; did anyone give you anything to cary)

9) Board your plane

* Not sure about where the VAT refund takes place... I can't recall if it's before or after security

Immigration - you go thru it every time you enter AND depart a country. It's to ensure you are legal to enter a country and when you leave, you didn't overstay your welcome.

Customs - only when you arrive at a country, has to do with whether you are bringing in goods that you're supposed to pay duty on. So when you leave London to head home, you'll only encounter Customs at the first US airport you arrive at.
Old Jan 2nd, 2009, 01:48 PM

Immigration clearance will be your first activity after you get off your plane in London. The lines can be quite long but they usually move quickly. Still, this can take 15 minutes to two or more hours in very unusual situations.

You show your passport and landing card (usually handed out on the plane--fill it out on the plane) to the Immigration officer. You will probably be asked how long you will be in the UK, what your purpose is--work, vacation, etc. and whether or not you are traveling to any other country.

The officer will stamp your passport and return it, keeping the landing card.

After Immigration, you proceed to the baggage hall where you collect your luggage or you just go straight on to Customs if you only have carry on.

Customs is marked by a Green door (nothing to declare) Red door (goods to declare) or Blue door (coming from another EU country). Go through the appropriate door, probably Green unless you're bringing in goods, cigs, alcohol over the limit. It is very unlikely that you will be stopped for a spot check. It can happen, in which case you will be asked to open your bags for a search.

Once through Customs--which is like a long corridor, you come out in Arrivals where you follow the signs to the Underground station or stop first at one of the ATMs for cash in pounds. The Arrivals Halls also typically have a newstand and a cafe or two and a few shops.

On your departure, deal with your Oyster card first then after you've checked in with your airline and have your boarding card, you can proceed to Security. Someone will check your boarding card as you enter the Security queue or line, much as in the US, but be aware some things may be different such as number of carryons allowed, whether or not you have to take your laptop out of its case, liquids--still 3 oz by 3 items in a quart plastic bag, to my knowledge.

Check the Heathrow website for latest details which should also be posted near your airline check-in desk and before you get in the Security line-this can be long but IMO it moves pretty fast and is orderly compared to many airports in the States.

After Security there may or may not be an Immigration check. In the past 2-3 years in Heathrow Terminal 3, my passport has been checked once. In this general area is where you need to show any goods and provide VAT forms if you want to claim VAT back.

You're now in the gateside Departures Hall with a large number of duty-free shops, cafes, restaurants, etc.

Hope this helps.
Old Jan 2nd, 2009, 02:44 PM
Original Poster

WOW yes huge help!!!
Old Jan 2nd, 2009, 04:22 PM

Wait a second. The UK (like US and Canada) doesn't have immigration control for exiting the country. You only go through security checks.
Old Jan 2nd, 2009, 04:55 PM

At Terminal 3 in Heathrow, just past Security, there is a usually unstaffed Immigration (I believe) checkpoint. Two or three people are standing off to one side watching people enter the Departures lounge. Could be Customs but I assumed Immigration and I have had my passport checked at the point--very rarely and not in a couple of years.
Old Jan 2nd, 2009, 05:00 PM

That raises an interesting question. If countries don't count noses departing (and I don't remember the U.S. ever having done this, either)...

how do they know when someone has overstayed his/her visa?
Old Jan 2nd, 2009, 05:04 PM

Don't know about the UK or Canada, but visitors to the US need to turn in the remaining portion of the I-94 form to the airline, or to US immigration if going out by road.
Old Jan 2nd, 2009, 05:11 PM

Good question, Robes. And, the more I think about that stop point at terminal 3, I wonder if it had something to do with Post 9/11 concerns about the movement of suspect individuals in general. Who knows?
Old Jan 2nd, 2009, 05:15 PM

It's all on their computer system - they probably know if you've got overdue library books back home.
Old Jan 2nd, 2009, 05:20 PM
Original Poster

are there signs at LHR directing new arrivals?

I am flying US airways - will this be terminal 3
Old Jan 2nd, 2009, 06:07 PM
yk

Assuming you hold US passport, when you arrive at Heathrow, just follow the signs for arrival (NOT connecting flights). When you get to the immigration hall, you want the line for "all other passports".

The rest is well detailed in Cathinjoetown's post earlier.

Old Jan 2nd, 2009, 06:12 PM
Original Poster

we do have US passports - thanks again
Old Jan 2nd, 2009, 09:00 PM

oh2doula, things will all be fine. Everyone on your flight will be in the same boat, and it will be busy. Just go with the flow.

The good thing is you speak the language (more or less). Ask for help or directions there if you're not sure. Same with the Oyster card business - the staff at the kiosk where you'll buy the cards can advise you. They are used to dealing with massive numbers of tourists from all over the world who don't know what they're doing!
Old Jan 3rd, 2009, 06:11 AM
Original Poster

i know - thanks everyone - for the help and the patience!!