has anyone stayed at the Russell Hotel

Aug 29th, 2005, 08:01 AM
Original Poster

has anyone stayed at the Russell Hotel

Has anyone stayed at the Russell Hotel in Russell Square. We booked one night there on Priceline last night. We have 3 more nights to book at the front of our trip and we are not sure if we should use Priceline again. We got a rate of 153.00 U.S. dollars. Any advise would be appreciated.

Thank you

Karen
Aug 29th, 2005, 09:27 AM
tod

No, I have only stayed just around the corner at the President, BUT my very good American friends stayed there many moons ago and described it had "cold and cavenous bathrooms".
Aug 29th, 2005, 10:06 AM

I stayed at the Russell in November '03. They were renovating at the time and the less expensive rooms were unrenovated. The only problem was being awakened by the jackhammers at 9 am when they were replacing concrete on the flooro above. The front desk staff was very understanding and helpful when I asked to be moved.

Both rooms were clean but a little worn around the edges. I don't remember much else about them except the bathrooms were huge and one had a step up to the tub.

Not the worst place I ever stayed but no mistaking it for the Savoy. It served my needs and was close to the tube and the shuttle bus to Heathrow stops across the street. Hope this helps.
Aug 29th, 2005, 10:12 AM

We have stayed there 4 times. In various types of rooms. Twice with just my wife & myself. Another time when we brought 1 of our kids along & another time when we had both of our kids along. We have had a small room where you could barely fit in, & we have had a huge room that was the size of an apartment, where the huge bathroom was down the hall, but the hall was inside our room & was a private bathroom, & a couple rooms between those sizes. We have stayed 3 nights, to 8 nights. Would go back again. Always has been comfortable for us. We like staying in that area, right around the corner from the tube stop. & If you take the Airbus from Heathrow, there is a stop directly across the street from the hotel. There is no A/C unless they have remodeled recently, but we have asked the front desk to supply a fan, which they have done. The staff has always been friendly & helpful. & the Virgina Woolfe restaurant on site is decent enough, otherwise there are quite a few restaurants in the area. We have always been able to broker some good prices for rooms there. There are better hotels, but we like it there, for the price.
Aug 29th, 2005, 10:16 AM
tod

Kpilling - Why have you choosen the Russell Hotel? Was it because of "CATS"? Location? You do know of course all the s**t hit the fan just down the road, and that the Russell Sq. underground is the deepest in London and when the lift breaks down it will take you 3 days to see daylight again? LOL. LOL!
Aug 29th, 2005, 10:25 AM

I just looked this hotel up - it has been recently refurbished and on milesfaster it has good reviews for August 2005.

And on londonnights.com they have an offer of 79 GBP for a standard double. Of course, it depends when you are going.

Have a wonderful trip to London.
Aug 29th, 2005, 10:41 AM
Original Poster

Everyone

Thank you all for the info. Tod, I did not purposely book this hotel. I used Priceline, put in a four star hotel and I put two districts - one was Mayfair and can't remember the name of the other district. I put 120.00. We were looking for our last night's lodging in London somewhat close to Waterloo for our trip to Paris the next morning. We still have 3 more mights at the front of our trip to book. I don't think I will use Priceline for those nights.
Aug 29th, 2005, 10:48 AM

You're mad not booking one hotel for your entire trip. How can you be bothered dragging your luggage around night after night?

Write off this one night and start all over again!
Aug 29th, 2005, 12:17 PM
Original Poster

Dear M Kingdom,

The first 3 nights of my trip are in London the next 4 nights of my trip are in Wales, then I have a night in Birmingham and then I move back to London (this is when I will be at the Russell Hotel) and then on to Paris for 5 nights. What in Blooming H---- would I book one hotel in London, when I won't be there?
Aug 29th, 2005, 05:12 PM

I stayed at the Russell Hotel for 5 nights in late July/early August--we had one of the refurbished rooms and it was lovely. A very contemporary room in a Victorian style hotel. The bathroom was very modern and efficient. We booked through Expedia.
We had a small inconvenience in that the Russell Square Tube station was closed until our final day in London, so we had to walk to the Holburn Station. That will not be a problem for you.
I think the key is to get one of the newly refurbished rooms.
I would most definitely stay at the Russell again if guaranteed a newer room.
PS: Our room had air conditioning.
Sep 5th, 2005, 01:20 PM

I stayed one night last autumn. I would not rush to repeat the experience