Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Has anyone signed up with Globalfreeloaders.com?

Jan 16th, 2004, 09:40 AM
Original Poster

I just learned about them today via a yahoo travel group that I subscribe to. It appears that this site will allow you stay in another member's home at no cost as long as you are willing to open your home to someone else in the near future.

You will have to fill out a profile indicating what accommodations that you have to share; spare bed, floor, cot, etc. A traveler who needs accommodations in your area would be able to contact you and request lodging for a certain period of time.

Your profile will allow you to set all the ground rules including whom you would allow to stay in your home (e.g. no kids, all females, etc.).

They boast a membership of 6k in 100 countries. So, has anyone else signed up?
www.globalfreeloaders.com
Jan 16th, 2004, 10:08 AM
Tat

I've read about it.
First I thought "awesome" and then I imagined some faces ...
Some easy going people would probably benefit from it alot.
I would love to hear from somebody who went.
Good topic, thanks
Jan 16th, 2004, 12:00 PM
ira

I'm not sure that I would want to open my antique-filled historic family plantation home to strangers for the chance of staying in the kid's bedroom in a flat on the outskirts of London.
Jan 16th, 2004, 01:14 PM

I've heard from a woman who's in a home exchange program, it works this way: I let somebody stay in my apartment while I stay in theirs, for her it worked out great, she's been to London and couple of American trips. Don't remember what it called.
Jan 19th, 2004, 09:40 AM
ira

Hi Tat,

I just noted that English is your second language.

My post was meant in fun, and I had hoped to express the humor by stating something outrageous.
Jan 19th, 2004, 09:43 AM
Tat

so... it is me again ?
OK, ira, I apologize, didn't get your humor ... ESL disability, but I think I was doing pretty well if you just noticed.
What sold me out ?

And YES, every post I feel like let readers know it is no hurt feelings I put a smiley face on. Is this irritating to you Oops... Sorry ...
)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))
Jan 19th, 2004, 12:31 PM
ira

Hi Tat,

I read it on another thread.

Also, as for any language, if one didn't grow up speaking English one just gets some things wrong.
Jan 19th, 2004, 01:31 PM

Below is an URL for a long travelogue of sorts, from a guy who used the same or similar outfit to travel throughout the UK and Europe. It's been a year or so since I read the whole story, but remember thinking that the guy becomes less grateful of his hosts as time goes on, and begins expecting more of them (even sounding a little like a spoiled child at some point). In a sense, I suppose, it is a parable for the welfare state. http://students.washington.edu/irvthom/Realhome.html