Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Has anyone bought advance purchased tickets from first great western site?

Apr 24th, 2013, 10:02 PM
Original Poster

I was going to purchase train tickets to Bath for travel in early June. They don't have e tickets you print at home. Only option is to pick them up at station on departure. I think you can pick them up when we arrive in London before day of departure. Has anyone used this site for similar travel before and did it all work out ok?
Apr 24th, 2013, 10:40 PM

Done it many times. Just make sure you bring the same credit card. I believe you get a code to put into the machine at the station and I think you can pick them up days in advance.
Apr 24th, 2013, 10:44 PM

FGW is the company that operates the train you will be using, so there should be nothing dodgy about www.firstgreatwestern.co.uk. I've not used them, but other train operating companies, and I assume the system is exactly the same.

You will need the same credit card as you use to pay for the tickets, and the ticket booking reference number they will send you; put either or both into the ticket machine at Paddington and it will print your tickets. Or allow extra time and queue up at the ticket office to talk to a person (but you will still need to show them the confirmation details FGW will send you).
Apr 25th, 2013, 08:47 AM

I've used the site a number of times. I use the ticket machines to pick them up when it's most convenient to do it that way but there have been times when I had a number to retrieve on arrival and went to a ticket window where they can give them all to you, any station ticket window. As Patrick says have a list of the bookings for the agent. You don't need to get them from the station you'll be leaving from, any handy station will do at any time prior to the day.
Apr 25th, 2013, 08:50 AM

I should clarify, any station prior or ON the day of departure. I like to get them in advance to save a rush.
Apr 26th, 2013, 02:40 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone, I will go ahead and book our tickets now!