Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Has anybody taken the PriceLine $5 pn insurance and claimed it? Thinking of cancelling Hilton Olympia booking

Search

Has anybody taken the PriceLine $5 pn insurance and claimed it? Thinking of cancelling Hilton Olympia booking

Search this Thread

Old May 29th, 2008, 07:18 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello. Just a little background info - I just booked our hotel for London, mid-August through Priceline and got Hilton Olympia in Kensington. I also got the $5.00 pn night insurance. I was a little bit skeptical because this hotel got a lot of mixed reviews. But the double room hotel looks big enough and the complains about being too far was not much of an issue for us. We don't mind riding the bus, more to see of London, and the walk to Kensington tube seems to be on High Street that are full of shops, something I would definitely enjoy.

What I failed (miserably) and missed to check, that now I am only reading about is the low-ceiling bathrooms. I'm just reading complains that a 5'8" person will have a hard time showering. One review even said anybody over 5'4" will have a problem! I'm 5'10, my husband 6'2". So you can see this may be a problem for us.

For anybody who has stayed at this hotel, can you please confirm that this is the case for ALL their bathrooms? Or maybe we can request at check-in to give us a high-ceiling bathroom?

Or should I just cancel this booking, which is not allow at PL and claim what I paid through their insurance? This way we're only out $25.00.

Sorry for the long-winded post and thanks for any advice/replies. Baljit
Old May 29th, 2008, 07:29 AM

The insurance does not allow you to cancel because of low bathroom ceilings. The terms are quite specific.

Most likely, if you don't get the room you want, you can ask for another, and if that still doesn't work, you can likely pay for an upgrade.

Why not write to the hotel, or phone, with your concerns about low ceilings, and see what they say?

I have read some reviews about having trouble showering at various hotels (I haven't been to this one, though), and I think generally this concern is exaggerated.
Old May 29th, 2008, 07:31 AM

One other trick might be to ask for a handicapped-accessible room.
Old May 29th, 2008, 08:14 AM

I think this concern is both exaggerated and common to many British hotels. I have stayed in many hotels in London where the shower head was comically low. Also, in almost all of them, the bath tub sits quite high, so watch your step getting in and out.

I would be happy I got a good deal in a reliable hotel and stop sweating it.
Old May 29th, 2008, 08:44 AM

Insurance will only pay for a covered reason.

I agree about not worrying about the bathroom. They tend to vary from one room to the next. We had a bathroom once with two sets of controls we weren't able to figure out after seven nights.

The Kensington area is just fine.
Old May 29th, 2008, 08:55 AM

I think the person who said 5"4" was not telling the truth, but exaggerating (obviously, no hotel could have a ceiling lower than that). So one real tall guy had a problem in one room. Other posts said that the bathroom was excellent and the shower very high (in 4/08). I am sure it varies by quality of room, and they might have some cheaper rooms with some lower ceilings due to renovations. But you won't get a refund by telling them you read some post on the internet after you booked, and now have changed your mind.
Old May 29th, 2008, 08:58 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for the reassurances! Whew! I'm beginning to like the area as there seem a lots of shops and dining around. It's a quick tube ride to Victoria station where we're planning to watch some shows.

Which brings me to my next question. If I have to go to the theatre by myself, is it safe to take the tube from Victoria to Kensington High Street and safely walk to the hotel? Or is better to just take the bus, I understand it's 2 busses I have to take and get off in front of the hotel?

Thanks. Baljit.
Old May 29th, 2008, 09:28 AM

Have never been to this hotel - but have been in some older ones in europe - and even a couple in the US where only someone under 5' could shower and wash their hair. It's not that the ceiling is so low. It's that the showerhead is so low on the wall - as opposed to being up near the ceiling.

Now - I'm 5'9" and for me to shower/wash hair comfortably the shower head has to be about a foot higher than that - and some just aren't.

(I just LOVE living in a prewar building with 11' ceiiengs - the showerheads are more than 7' higher than the tub - so you have no problems - even doing heavy duty hair conditioning treatments.)
Old May 29th, 2008, 09:58 AM

I would certainly feel safe walking in that area by myself. There are no guarantees for anything in life, but I think that's as good an area as any.
Old May 29th, 2008, 10:12 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
I have stayed at the Hilton Olympia (more than once) and that is just nuts - more than nuts. It is a very modern and well kept hotel.

The bathrooms are exactly the same height as any other purpose-built hotel in London. The comment is probably about the height of the shower head -- and that is just the way showers are inn London and much of Europe. Sometimes the shower head is adjustable, though.

BTW - asking for handicap accessibility will not change anything . . . . The showers are what they are. If you <i>could</i> cancel for such a reason (not very likely) you would have exactly the same issues in most hotels.
Old May 29th, 2008, 10:12 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
just another reason to take TA reviews w/ a grain of salt . . . . . .
Old May 29th, 2008, 10:27 AM

Requesting a handicap-access room might give you everything too low -- closet rod, sink, etc at a height reachable by someone in a wheelchair.
Old May 29th, 2008, 12:29 PM

I've been last week at this hotel and I didn't notice the ceilings lower than in any other hotel. Certainly, that's not a problem for me because I'm very short but my friend isn't and she used the shower comfortably.
Old May 29th, 2008, 12:41 PM

It's because the person who complained get rooms on the 7 1/2 floor.
Old May 29th, 2008, 02:07 PM
jay

BaljitKl,
I just stayed there 2 weeks ago and I am 6'-3&quot;. The reason that the ceilings are so low is that the tub is high. While I would have liked a higher ceiling I was able to shower. Also it is 4 stops from the Kensington High station. Every morning I would walk across the street to the Tesco for croissants, wine, water and any other stuff we needed. For $97us it was a steal not to mention very close to our daughters graduation ceremony. You can email me with any questions.
Old May 29th, 2008, 07:48 PM
Original Poster

Janis, Kenderina and Jay thanks for your reply as well and assuring me that this is not the case but a gross exageration of reviewers who weren't happy with the hotel. I should not have let my paranoia get the better of me. I also think at $100 pn (incl the insurance)it's a steal. That means I can go see a another show for the money I saved.

Jay, thank you for your offer of personally emailing you with questions. I may do that as our trip gets closer.

Thanks, everyone! Baljit