harry potter in London

Search

harry potter in London

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25th, 2003, 07:58 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
harry potter in London

I will stay i London with a 14 yr old daughter. She is big Harry Potter fun.
Can ahybody recomend Harry Potter places around
Old Jul 25th, 2003, 08:16 AM
dln

Becky, just type in "Harry Potter" in the text search box and you'll come up with plenty of hits.

My 14 year old daughter wants to know if your 14 year old daughter needs a travel companion...

Old Jul 25th, 2003, 09:54 AM

King's Cross is probably the most Pottery place in London -- where Platform 9 3/4 is (I believe they have a sign for taking pictures?) Aside from that, I would just try to get your daughter interested in English culture and food in general
Old Jul 26th, 2003, 01:23 AM

Just got back from London with my two potter fan children. At Kings Cross station between platform 9 and 10 they have put up a sign for platform 9 3/4. We took pictures in front of it. We then went to Oxford and did more Pottermania. At Christ Church College, we saw the dining hall that doubles as the dining hall in the movies. We also went to another college (name escapes me) where much of the movie was filmed. On the British tourism web page, there is a link to Harry Potter venues around England that I used. Hope this helps.
Old Jul 26th, 2003, 02:48 AM
AR

Gloucester Cathedral also. This is easy if you also want to do the Cotswolds.
Old Jul 27th, 2003, 11:13 AM
JCV

to Potter experts:
I found out that there are adult versions as well as special editions for each of the Potter books. I was interested in buying the whole set - anyone know what the differences are and is it worth buying the "British" version? I found a website for a book store in Edinburgh where I can purchase on-line. The books are more eexpensive than in the States, however, I am willing to spend the extra money if it is worth it. Any thoughts?
Old Jul 27th, 2003, 11:42 AM

Certainly NOT worth it to buy adult or other special editions. The difference is entirely in the cover, printing and binding, not in the content! Apparently, the publishers discerned that there was a demand for Potter books that adults wouldn't feel silly being seen reading while riding the tube.

You can find charts online that some compulsive soul has put together, listing the exact wording differences between the British and US editions; apart from the infamous title change of the first book, the differences are completely trivial, like "sweater" for "jumper" and "cookie" for "biscuit." Try hp-lexicon.com

If you do decide you want to order British or "adult" versions, you can get them relatively cheaply at www.amazon.co.uk. Or look into the possibility that the Canadian editions are the same as the British, since shipping would cost less.
Old Jul 28th, 2003, 05:39 AM

Becky

I've got a few more Potter places posted at:

http://www.kidstolondon.com/harrypotter.html

David White
[email protected]
Old Jul 29th, 2003, 04:43 AM
Original Poster

Thanks a lot for the info
Old Aug 15th, 2003, 11:32 AM
dln

ttt, because the latest issue of Biography magazine (09/03) has an article entitled "Magic of England Following in Harry Potter's Footsteps." Great photos and descriptions of Potter-related locales. Also, if anyone in iterested in a map of Harry Potter's England, call VisitBritain at 877-899-8391.