need ideas on what to see in England

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 4th, 2009, 04:09 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm trying to plan a trip to England, France, Scotland and The Isle of Man. My husband and I aren't much into the theatre, or art galleries, however we are planning to see St. Paul's Cathedral, Westminster Abby, a trip down the Thames, probably the British Museum, maybe the London Zoo, Tower of London, London Eye. We will visit a few pubs ! Any suggestions ? Are there anymore 'Must see's ' in London ?
How about nice day trips out of London ? Small towns or villages?

Paris..we want to see the 'big sites' in Paris..anything else in and around Paris? We have no idea on B&B's in Paris...any suggestions...looking for moderate accommodations ...and clean !!...need nights at least.

Thank for your help
Old May 4th, 2009, 04:24 PM

In addition to what you mentioned:
London:
If you like Art galleries
National Gallery
Tate Britain
Tate Modern (If you like modern art)
Walk along the river
Just outside of downtown London (you can take a train there) - Hampton Court
Kew Gardens
Old May 4th, 2009, 04:47 PM

For a day trip, take the train and go up to Cambridge. It's about an hour outside of London, and all of the colleges are really beautiful. You can take a punting trip on the river, which is very fun, especially if the weather is nice. The Anchor is a great little pub right on the Cam river.

In London, some fun things I've done are:

1. Absolut Icebar: http://www.belowzerolondon.com/
2. Vinopolis: Wine tasting just down from the Tate Modern on the banks of the Thames http://www.vinopolis.co.uk/
3. London Dungeon: My brother and I did this about 10 years ago. It was entertaining, but won't knock your socks off...http://www.thedungeons.com/en/london-dungeon/index.html
4. Tower of London: Not earth-shattering news that it's a prime attraction, but you didn't mention it.
5. Camden Market: It's like an indoor/outdoor swap meet. Really fun to walk around, especially if you intend to shop...http://www.camdenlock.net/

Hopefully those will add to your list of things to do
Old May 4th, 2009, 05:29 PM

Adding to the list...

The Cotswolds are a popular choice for "village" charm and quaint English country life. There are some fabulous tours that go to Oxford, Cotswolds, Warwick Castle and to Shakespeare's home in Stratford upon Avon all in the course of one day! www.gift-tours.com

Bath has marvelous sites and is steeped in history. www.visitbath.co.uk

The Covent Garden area in London never fails to entertain, with dozens of shops, pubs, restaurants, galleries, theatres and street performers. www.covent-garden.co.uk

"London Walks" for a great combo of London's history, good storytelling, sightseeing or if you just want to walk off that pub food www.walks.com.

Even if you're not into theatre, "The Woman In Black" is a great show with a reasonable price on the West End. A two man old fashioned "thriller/ghost story" that gives chills and scares. Highly recommend it! http://www.thewomaninblack.com/

Pick up a copy of "Time Out London" at the newsstand. They have excellent reviews and suggestions for all of London and the UK. It is indispensable really.
Old May 4th, 2009, 06:00 PM
Original Poster

Thank you...semiramis,kyliebaby3 and bleuzebu ..for taking time to give us some 'in depth' responses....it will help trmendously.

Thx
Old May 5th, 2009, 10:18 AM

Absolutely, and I wanted to note that I agree with Bleuzebu about Stratford-Upon-Avon and Bath. Those are two places we visited when I studied abroad, and they were both great in their own rite. We saw a Shakespearean play in S-U-A... actually, we saw one at The Globe in London too, which if you are into theatre is another great thing to add to your list...and it was well-performed and quite funny. Very cute little town! And Bath, well...the baths are truly amazing. It was all set-up for us with a wine and cheese reception, but the structures themselves were very impressive too.

Have a great trip-- London is such a great city!
Old May 5th, 2009, 07:28 PM

While I found Cambridge and Oxford interesting and lovely, and Stonehenge just a "been there, done that" kind of thing, Bath was really special: both the architecture and the Roman baths. The villages in the Cotswolds were also totally charming.
Old May 5th, 2009, 09:14 PM

What are your interests?

For pubs in London, check out www.fancyapint.com

Lee Ann
Old May 6th, 2009, 07:16 AM

If you have time, going to Windsor Castle in Windsor, Stonehenge, the village of Lacock, north to Stratford-on-Avon and places in between is a great tour.

From Stratford it is a 2 hour drive to East Midlands airport. We then flew with Ryanair to Dinard, France on the west coast, rented a car and went to Mount St Michel, Loire Valley and Paris.

Our friend who lives in London took us for a walk under the Thames through one of the pedestrian tunnels. It was a neat experience.