London with a 17 year old

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27th, 2005, 11:40 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am taking my daughter to London for a weekend in November. As time is limited is there a fun restaurant we can go to that won't break the bank? We eat most things.
Old Oct 27th, 2005, 11:56 AM

What would your definition of a "fun" restaurant be for a 17 year old? I can understand trying to keep a youngster happy and entertained but curious about your daughter.
Old Oct 27th, 2005, 11:57 AM

Any particular part of town? Would you like something near where you are staying?
Old Oct 27th, 2005, 12:15 PM
Original Poster

I guess I mean somewhere with atmosphere - coming from a rural area that will hopefully be what she would like. We are leaving her 2 brothers and husband at home so it would be good if it were a little different.
Old Oct 27th, 2005, 12:17 PM
Original Poster

I haven't booked anywhere to stay yet, but am thinking of central London - Oxford St, Bloomsbury, Covent Garden kind of area.
Old Oct 27th, 2005, 12:24 PM

Sue- Most sit-down service restaurants in London will have "atmosphere." Still am not understanding what you mean. You could do Rules, which certainly has "atmosphere," albeit of the stodgy, ye-olde-Britain-type, or you can hit any number of the top-end trendy restaurants which will have more "atmosphere" than you probably imagined, although you'll most likely need designer clothes and possibly have to tip the doorman.

I don't mean to sound glib, but my point is, it would be helpful if you gave an idea of what you were looking for.
Old Oct 27th, 2005, 01:06 PM

You may want to check out Belgo Centraal - I think a 17 year old would like its atmosphere.

http://www.squaremeal.co.uk/restaura...?Rest_ID=80221

From the site above:
"The great offers are also worth noting: Beat the Clock from 5.30-6.30pm means the time of your order is the price of your meal"
Old Oct 27th, 2005, 01:15 PM

some ideas:

Kandoo
458 Edgware Rd
iranian

Navarro's
near charlotte st
spanish

Gem
Upper Street-Islington
Kurdish

Taro
Soho
Japanese

Wong Kei
Chinatown
Chinese

Wōdka
Kensington
Polish

all affordable and fun. btw, rules is neither.
Old Oct 27th, 2005, 01:19 PM

I took my neice to London and she loved eating in various pubs. They aren't like bars at home and are so British. She also enjoyed eating in one of the Harrods cafes (along with shopping).
Old Oct 27th, 2005, 01:22 PM
LJ

I think Walkinaround's reccos are spot on-I know three personally and woould have suggested the same if I could have put my hands on my London journal a little sooner. I agree with the comment about Rules: I don't think a 17-year-old would "get it". Might I also add the food area(s) of Harrods?
Old Oct 27th, 2005, 01:50 PM

Hi Sue!
i don't know london at all well, but maybe something around the theatre district or covent garden would be more the idea for your daughter!
WE were around there last winter and my three were certainly impressed with all the goings on there.
We had to eat at our hotel though as it was all tied in.
What hotels are you thinking of?
Old Oct 27th, 2005, 01:53 PM
Original Poster

Thank you All - there are loads of places to check out there. By atmosphere I was meaning trendy (don't think I'm too old for trendy yet!)As I say, thank you for all these ideas. Will be sure to visit Harrods Food Hall too - was there a while ago and the displays were fantastic. Again thank you. Sue
Old Oct 28th, 2005, 06:51 AM

I agree that Rules isn't appropriate for a 17 year old (I suppose some may like it) but suggested it as a example of a place that certainly has "atmosphere" but is not likely to be appreciated by a teen. That is why I asked for more details.

In addition to the above suggestions, I would add Wagamama for cheap Asian food because I think a teen would appreciate its quirky, communal-style dining. There are several locations throughout the city. They also serve real Ramen - something I much appreciated, albeit in the packaged, powdered form, when I was a teen.
Old Oct 28th, 2005, 07:05 AM

hmm..Yo Sushi is fun. You sit around a big counter and food goes round on a conveyor belt, and at the end of the meal they count up your dishes and that is how they charge you.

it's far from 4 star cuisine, but it's fun and definitely affordable.

I agree with the poster who said Belgo Centrale--their specialty is mussels.
There's a few in London I think, but the one I've been to is across from the Donmar, near the seven dials.
Old Oct 28th, 2005, 07:25 AM

'somewhere with atmosphere'
you can take her for afternoon tea.
Old Oct 28th, 2005, 09:05 AM
Original Poster

Good idea Travfirst! Will book a table a Fortnum and Masons if we have time.
Old Oct 28th, 2005, 09:55 AM

Let's hope travfirst was being "witty" as opposed to seriously trying to help you.
That was not a very helpful reply.
I actually took my 17 year old to Fortnum's last Christmas as we were in the area.
There was neither atmosphere nor an element of trendinessI may say!
The people who have taken time to give you suggestions here on your first ever posting are much more typical of people who post here Sue.
Old Oct 28th, 2005, 10:39 AM

Yo Sushi is great fun, and there are also lots of eating options in Selfridges Food Hall (Oxford Street/Orchard Street) including Yo Sushi. I don't consider Yo Sushi particularly cheap, with each dish costing from 2 GBP to 5 GBP, bearing in mind you need to eat at least 4 or 5 each.... but it is a fun experience.

One place I went with my youngsters a few years ago that they thought really cool was Tiger Lil's in Islington. Here you load your plate with raw ingredients - whatever you fancy from a huge selection, go up to the Hot Wok counter where the guys cook it all for you over a really high flame - it's great fun, and you can eat as much as you like for a set amount, and it wasn't expensive, I felt it good value for money. It does get crowded later on and long queues form for the Flaming Hot Woks.

I found a review here

www.london-eating.co.uk/2763.htm

and there's more if you google Tiger Lil's Islington.

Have a great trip!

Old Oct 28th, 2005, 12:08 PM
Original Poster

Thank you Aileen and Julia for your latest. Will give Fortnums a miss then. Yo Sushi and Tiger Lils both sound really great - I'm glad we have 3 nights to check out some of these really helpful suggestions. I truly appreciate it - as Aileen has kindly noticed this is my first posting. It's going to be a great weekend I'm sure. Thank you again.
Old Oct 29th, 2005, 09:39 AM

Teenagers seem to love wagamamas (branches all over the place). The food's OK. You sit at canteen style benches and order up dishes of noodles.

Not my cup of tea to say the least - but terribly popular.

BTW a 17 year old can drink alcohol with a meal in Britain - so she'll probably like just about everywhere!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -