Happy Days are here!!

Old Feb 7th, 2006, 03:17 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Happy Days are here!!

Just found my tickets to London- with the help of all you Fordorites.RT to london from LAX for $759.Were leaving June 20th. WOW this is a great site. Now all the real planing begins. London and Paris with my 3 daughters- where to stay, where to go, where to eat? This is so exciting I have been trying to plan this since November now the reality begins.Ant suggestions for quad lodging and more would be appreciated. Thanks
Old Feb 7th, 2006, 03:33 PM

How long are you planning to stay in each area???
Old Feb 7th, 2006, 05:51 PM
Original Poster

about 5 days in each city
Old Feb 7th, 2006, 06:30 PM

I am always pushing dormitory rooms in London, but I doubt if anyone bites. I haven't heard any feedback. London has so many horrible hotel rooms, and they are so expensive, that a family apartment or suite in a university dormitory in late June is almost, and I hate to use this phrase but can't come up with a better one for this situation, a no brainer.

Do a Google search for London University Accomodations, or L.dormitory accomodations if you are interested.

i remember your earlier posts and I am so glad you got your tickets. Good for you.
Old Feb 8th, 2006, 02:43 PM

I can't help with Paris, but, I can London.

First, I would look into renting a flat for the 5 nights. Somewhere central, of course, but, with the London Underground being at almost every corner, almost anywhere would do! You can't beat the price and the extra space is great!!! I can recommend London Serviced Apartments, as I have used them twice before and was more then satisfied. They offer flats in 3 price ranges all over London.
http://www.londonservicedapartments.co.uk/

The Tower of London, IMHO, is a must see when in London. You can also get tickets for the Ceremony of the Keys (http://www.toweroflondontour.com/keys.html) which is the locking down of the Tower that takes place every night. Tickets for this ceremony are free but you need to apply 6-8 weeks in advance. Write to The Ceremony of the Keys, Waterloo Block, HM Tower of London, London, England EC3N 4AB enclosing a stamped addressed envelope and stating the names of the attendees!

There are so many things to do and see in London and there are many recent threads with tons of info on just that. From taking in a show, to visiting one of the many markets, just strolling through one of the parks or taking a train to Bath for the day or Hamstead Heath....the list is endless!!!! It just all depends on what interests you!!!!
Old Feb 8th, 2006, 04:15 PM

Congratulations! May I ask how you got your airline tickets? You got a good price!

I've been recently looking for relatively inexpensive quad rooms in London and found the Holiday Inn Kensington and Jury's Kensington both have rooms that sound pretty good (good reviews here and on tripadvisor.com.) Now, they don't sound like deluxe hotels, but we're not planning on much hotel time (too much to do in London!)

What is your budget for hotel rooms?
Old Feb 8th, 2006, 04:31 PM

I'd like to know where you got your tickets too!!
Old Feb 8th, 2006, 04:55 PM

I'd consider getting two hotel rooms on Priceline (if there are four of you - if there are five, you'd need three rooms, and the savings issue is less clear). As pointed out elsewhere, the prices are often low enough that it's cheaper than most decent quads. You can read the posts here on the subject of Priceline and check out http://www.betterbidding.com .

Check http://www.venuemasters.co.uk/holiday_travelstay.asp
for student accommodation.