Hand Luggage Banned On UK Flights

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9th, 2006, 09:17 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Passengers on all flights will not be allowed to take any hand luggage on to any flights in or from the UK.

Only the barest essentials - including passports and wallets - will be allowed to be carried on board in transparent plastic bags.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4778575.stm
Old Aug 9th, 2006, 09:36 PM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
Wow. Won't <i>this</i> be something?
Old Aug 9th, 2006, 09:37 PM

Whiile draconian, the list of permitted items is actually a little broader than the OP would lead you to believe, see the Dept of Transport's webiste below. They also only apply to flights FROM and within the UK. If you are flying into the UK these do not apply at least for the moment, unless the country you are flying from has chosen to institute similar measures.

http://www.dft.gov.uk/stellent/group...ut_612280.hcsp
Old Aug 9th, 2006, 09:38 PM

In all seriousness, is this going to affect our EWR-GLA flight on Continental in 11 days? Does this mean that we won't be able to carry on a change of clothes?

Of course safety is far more important than convenience, so I'm not faulting the UK for taking these measures.
Old Aug 9th, 2006, 09:40 PM

Yes, now, WHAT were all the British posters moaning and groaning about on the other threads-about how silly and burdensome and onerous the TSA security checkpoints were-I can tell you, that there has NEVER been a time where TSA has banned ALL hand carries-however, the imminent threat that is now in place in the UK does require this and other far more stringent security measures to be put in place-so expect lengthy delays at UK security screening checkpoints.

Oh by the way, the UK has ALSO instituted a similar threat level code to Homeland Security's here in the US-so I guess it can't be SO silly, now can it, if the UK Govt. found it necessary to copy the US in this regard?

And like I said on the now gone Egyptian thread-unlike the US, you do indeed have something to be worried about from al-Qaeda like factions if you live in the UK, because the UK has been, and continues to be under serious threat from terrorist attack-this elevated threat level will continue for some time in the future.
Old Aug 9th, 2006, 09:42 PM

Reading that article, it looks like this principle will not apply to our EWR-GLA flight, but it will apply a few days later to our GLA-TXL flight on EasyJet.
Old Aug 9th, 2006, 09:43 PM

IMO there is no way to predict how this might affect a flight originating in the US in 2 weeks. Just keep reading the papers/web and listening to the news.

I personally would not care about a change of clothes, but not to have a BOOK for a long flight would really make me crazy...
Old Aug 9th, 2006, 09:45 PM

Yes, I usually go through several books and magazines on the flight, and never pay attention to any in-flight entertainment, so that will be bad for me too.
Old Aug 9th, 2006, 09:52 PM

It seems that a see through bag will be allowed , just no bags etc that any thing can be carried / hidden in, also no phones of electronic devices
Old Aug 9th, 2006, 09:52 PM

1) What a pain if you are travelling. You'd think they'd get the airlines to up their checked luggage limit a couple of kilos to allow for the extra 'stuff'.
2)I still wouldn't compare this to being compulsorily fingerprinted on entry to a country though.
Old Aug 9th, 2006, 09:55 PM
Original Poster

If you are flying UK to US don't buy any duty free booze. It'll be confiscated.

Looks as if the Duty Free shops are going to do a roaring trade as folk will be able to buy their books / magazines / sandwiches once they get airside
Old Aug 9th, 2006, 09:59 PM

And I just read the Reuters news report about this! They say that they hope this will only be for a limited amount of time. It will make for a more boring trip perhaps but think, no bags to have to fit anywhere, just your wallet in a baggie..I still say, whatever they want to do to keep things safe, is ok with me.
The eyeglass cases part could be annoying.
Old Aug 9th, 2006, 10:03 PM

I wonder if they will allow us to check more bags if we can't take the carry-on luggage?
Old Aug 9th, 2006, 10:05 PM

Nope-weight and balance requirements for passenger luggage are strictly allocated-you'll just have to do more with less.
Old Aug 9th, 2006, 10:08 PM

Isn't is the same weight whether you carry it on or they pack it in the cargo hold? Can't they just put our carryon bags into the hold?
Old Aug 9th, 2006, 10:10 PM

We fly Friday AM. Guess I'll call American to see how they are going to handle it. Better safe than sorry but I hope they allow us to check more - the things we had planned to carry on.
Old Aug 9th, 2006, 10:11 PM

It sounds, though, as if you don't have to worry about the flight over on American. Just the flight back.
Old Aug 9th, 2006, 10:14 PM

&quot;Looks as if the Duty Free shops are going to do a roaring trade &quot;

That's not how the DoT handout reads. NOTHING goes into the cabin, except the tiny list.

Wipes out airport retail sales altogether.

The thought of 10 hours relying on seat back films alone is so horrible, I'm cancelling the autumn trip to the US West Coast. Which will doubtless improve the quality of life for Californians no end.
Old Aug 9th, 2006, 10:22 PM

And the tiny list posted on BA reads:

*Travel documents essential for the journey (eg passports, tickets and visas)

*Pocket sized wallets and pocked sized purses plus contents (for example money, credit cards and identity cards). Handbags are not permitted.

*Prescribed medicines essential for the duration of the flight, except in liquid form unless verified as authentic.

*Spectacles and sunglasses, without cases.

*Contact lenses, without bottles of solution

*For those traveling with an infant: baby food, milk and sanitary items essential for the flight.

*Keys (but no electrical key fobs).

Every other item must be carried in customer’s hold luggage.

For clarity, passengers are advised that no electrical or battery powered items including laptops, mobile phones, ipods, remote controls etc can be carried in the cabin and must be checked in as hold baggage.

BA also offers to rebook trips within 14 days if you decide not to travel.
Old Aug 9th, 2006, 10:30 PM

From the BBC (basically the same as the BA list)

Following this morning's police action, security at all UK airports has been increased and additional security measures have been put in place for all flights.

With immediate effect, the following arrangements apply to all passengers starting their journey at a UK airport and to those transferring between flights at a UK airport.

All cabin baggage must be processed as hold baggage and carried in the hold of passenger aircraft departing UK airports.

Passengers may take through the airport security search point, in a single (ideally transparent) plastic carrier bag, only the following items. Nothing may be carried in pockets:

Pocket-size wallets and pocket-size purses plus contents (for example money, credit cards, identity cards etc (not handbags)

Travel documents essential for the journey (for example passports and travel tickets)

Prescription medicines and medical items sufficient and essential for the flight (eg, diabetic kit), except in liquid form unless verified as authentic

Spectacles and sunglasses, without cases

Contact lens holders, without bottles of solution

For those travelling with an infant: baby food, milk (the contents of each bottle must be tasted by the accompanying passenger) and sanitary items sufficient and essential for the flight (nappies, wipes, creams and nappy disposal bags)

Female sanitary items sufficient and essential for the flight, if unboxed (eg tampons, pads, towels and wipes)

Tissues (unboxed) and/or handkerchiefs

Keys (but no electrical key fobs). All passengers must be hand searched, and their footwear and all the items they are carrying must be X-ray screened.
Pushchairs and walking aids must be X-ray screened, and only airport-provided wheelchairs may pass through the screening point.

In addition to the above, all passengers boarding flights to the USA and all the items they are carrying, including those acquired after the central screening point, must be subjected to secondary search at the boarding gate.

Extra time

Any liquids discovered must be removed from the passenger.

There are no changes to current hold baggage security measures.

Regrettably, significant delays at airports are inevitable. Passengers are being asked to allow themselves plenty of extra time and to ensure that other than the few permitted items listed above, all their belongings are placed in their hold baggage and checked in.

These additional security measures will make travel more difficult for passengers, particularly at such a busy time of the year. But they are necessary and will continue to keep flights from UK airports properly secure.

We hope that these measures, which are being kept under review by the government, will need to be in place for a limited period only.

In light of the threat to aviation and the need to respond to it, we are asking the travelling public to be patient and understanding and to cooperate fully with airport security staff and the police.

If passengers have any questions on their travel arrangements or security in place at airports they should contact their airline or carrier.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -