Halloween in Rome?

Sep 30th, 2002, 11:07 AM
jmh

Halloween in Rome?

I will be in Rome on Halloween with my fiance (by then my husband-yikes!) and a few friends. It will be the last night of a two week whirlwind trip around Italy. I realize that Italians don't celebrate "Halloween" in Rome, but we are looking for something fun to do. Are there any expat bars (pubs) in Rome where we might find a halloween party?

Sep 30th, 2002, 11:12 AM
Helen Donegan

Actually Italians have recently taken Halloween to heart and there should be parties in all the clubs and discos.

Sep 30th, 2002, 02:51 PM
jmh

Great! Thanks Helen. Any recommendations on fun places to go? I'll check out your (?) web site too -- www.italywithus.com.

Sep 30th, 2002, 02:58 PM
God

we have been in France twice on Halloween...believe me..though they have taken to it...it is NOT quite what you'd expect. They don't QUITE have it down yet! We were in a very expensive restaurant and the wait staff was having so much FUN tht the patrons suffered!

Sep 30th, 2002, 03:55 PM
Helen Donegan

Any recommendations on fun places to go?

Well now........unfortunately I am a bit past going out to clubs etc and I live in Perugia (two hours north of Rome). I will ask around - some one who lives in Rome should know.

I am not sure what "God" is trying to say - why should his/her experience in one restaurant in France have anything to do with going out in Italy? Who are THEY? The French? Europeans? (Halloween is an ancient celtic feast brought over to the US by the Irish).

Sep 30th, 2002, 04:35 PM
God

You are right Helen , it is ancient Celtic festival...but only Americans have provided pumpkins, lanterns, masks and general silliness. I have been in France and Italy FOR 3 SUCCESIVE Halloweens and they just don't get the picture! And It wasn't 1 place it was many..There have been several articles in EU papers about the EU countries trying to get in the swing and not quite managing!

Since you live so far away from the US now..you may not know that halloween is the second most "decorated" holiday.

Maybe you need to come home a little more often before you comment on current practices.

Sep 30th, 2002, 11:23 PM
Helen Donegan

Well now - I have visited the US often but have never lived there for longer than 5 months at a time - I am Irish and have lived in Italy most of my life.

I have had a Halloween party for the past 10 years - my brother used to send me decorations from Ireland, now I can get them all here - they are mainly imported via America (made in various countries).

In the past 5 years many clubs and discos here have Halloween parties - they have been shown on the news etc. Italians love an opportunity to dress up and they use all their expertise from Carnivale to make very good costumes for Halloween.

I was under the impression that the original question was about going out in Rome and having a good time on Halloween. That is what I am talking about.

Oct 1st, 2002, 04:50 AM
Alice Twain

The main point is that in Italy we already have our own festival with people masquerading and making jokes and so no. That is Carnevale, mardi gras. Halloween for us is just a foreign and short copy of Carnevale, so it just doesn't look very interesting (Carnevale lasts for at least one week, with a peak day on Tuesday or, in Milano, Saturday).

Oct 2nd, 2002, 06:17 AM
jmh

I WISH I could be there during carnevale--now that would be fun. Okay, we'll just play it by ear. I'm sure we'll find something. Thanks!!

Oct 2nd, 2002, 07:12 AM
Patrick

Just a side note: while in Italy we had a wonderful vegetable with dinner one night. I asked the waitress what it was and she said she didn't know the name in English, but they are great big round orange things that in the US they wear on their heads on Halloweeen. So I'd love to see the Italian idea of a Halloween party. I picture everyone wearing pumpkins on their heads.

Oct 2nd, 2002, 07:34 AM
mary kay

For jmh:

We were in Rome for Halloween 2001 and noticed some festivities at the bars around Piazza Navona. A few children (3 or 4 maybe) in costumes were in the Piazza. At the bars, they were decorating for halloween about 9 p.m. for that evening's festivities. At least they didn't have Halloween decor up from September 1st on!

I imagine that you could find some Halloween activity near Piazza Navona.

Enjoy your trip. Italy is great in October.

Mary Kay

Oct 2nd, 2002, 08:03 AM
Helen Donegan

You are right Mary Kay - Piazza Navonna is a good place to start - also Campo dei Fiori.
I have talked to a few Romans and am waiting for a few more replies - once I have the name of a club or disco with a good party I will let you know.
Last year was the first year that I actually had kids calling at the door for "trick or treat" - they have taken to that like ducks to water!!

Oct 4th, 2002, 04:38 AM
Helen Donegan

I just got a reply from a friend in Rome - the latest information is as follows:

"Most of the bars will be holding Halloween parties. There is also a museum in Prati for people who want to be creeped..Via dei Gracchi 260
06-3211395. JACKIE O MIGHT BE A LITTLE MORE REFINED...ALIEN..A LITTLE MORE YOUNG AND FAROUT."

The Jackie O club is on the Via Veneto - I used to like it a lot, it is less expensive if you drink at the bar and not sit at a table. You should get "Wanted in Rome" (English language newspaper published in Rome every 2 weeks)when you arrive - it will have lots of information.