Search

Hahnenkamm 2010

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11th, 2009, 07:42 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hahnenkamm 2010

I am flying from Canada to visit kitzbuhel at the end of January, 2010. What is the easiest city to fly into in order to get to Kitzbuhel - Munich, Salzburg, Innsbruck, Zurich? Also, plan to be leaving from St. Anton - which city is the easilet to fly out of if leaving from St. Anton? Any acvise on best/cheapest travel from airport to Kitzbuhel?
Old Apr 11th, 2009, 08:08 AM

The closest city is Salzburg ( about 80 Km.), Innsbruck ( about 100Km. )not much further. However they are not the most convenient when traveling from North america. You would need to make a transfer to regional flight somewhere, then onward to them.
You can probably find a direct flight to Munich, cheaper and faster too. Munich about 150 kilometers from Kitz. Numerous transfer services from Munich directly to Kitz.
Check with your hotel or the Kitz tourist office.

From St. Anton - Zurich is probably most convenient transfers by train or bus.
Munich slightly less convenient.
Old Apr 11th, 2009, 08:30 AM
Original Poster

Thanks - this is exactly the information I was looking for. Now, if I fly into Munich, what would you recommend for travel from Munich to Kitz, Kitz to St. Anton, St. Anton to either Munich or Zurich - bus, train, car rental? I will be travelling in late January.
Old Apr 11th, 2009, 10:40 AM

If tired and jet lagged I always think the transfer service is easier than the train.
Andis Taxi and Four seasons transfers have services .
You can probably google for websites.

Easiest transfer is by train to St. Anton

auustrian rail website

www.oebb.at

January can produce unfriendly weather - driving can be no fun and transfers by car on a Saturday and Sunday finds much traffic on the roads.
No long distance satisfactoy bus service- the train is the way to go.
Old Apr 11th, 2009, 01:28 PM
Original Poster

Thanks molker. Two more questions. Can you recommend a clean 3-star hotel in Kitzbuhel, within walking distance to the city centre? Also, can you recommend a top quality hotel in St. Anton?
Old Apr 11th, 2009, 07:42 PM

Definitely stay in the Pension Hinterseer. Its like staying at the Austrian ski hall of fame. The owners are great. You can check out my recent writeup on Tripadvisor... In St. Anton, I had good luck with Pension Steffeler. Room was a bit small but great location in center of town. Short walks to both lifts and train station...
Old Apr 11th, 2009, 09:51 PM

I would disagree with Molker on flights. If you chose to fly with the German airline Lufthansa (star alliance member) they give you an extra flight within Europe for free. They fly from several North American airports (LA, Sann Francisco, New York, Washington, Miami, Boston, Chikago...I'm sure there is more) into their hub cities in Germany, Frankfurt and Munich. From these 2 hub cities they fly all over Europe either themselves or code sharing whith other regional airlines. So your final destination could be say Salzburg or Innsbruck rather than Munich or Zurich which are futher away from your ski destinations. You can actually fly into Salzburg which is nearer to kitzbuhel and fly out of Innsbruck which is nearer to St Anton.
Contrary to what Molker says Zurich airport is actually 100km further than Innsbruck.
Old Apr 12th, 2009, 10:48 AM

I think the above poster should read the original posters question and answers regarding that question more closely.
The poster was looking for the easiest arrival and departure cities.
One can easily find various non stop flights from canadian or other north american departure cities.
For january departures flights to Munich versus for example Salzburg are much less expensive and much less travel time.

To Munich probably 8-9 hours to salzburg - at least one change of aircraft needed- 11 !/2 - 14 hours depending on connections.

When the ticket to Munich is much less money ( roundtrip example 200 or more ) and much lees time - even factoring in transfer time and cost to Kitz - much faster and cheaper.

Salzburg and Innsbruck are both much smaller and less frequeented airports. Flight schedules are limited. While very safe ,they can be more affected by weather ,especially in January. Service is generally by small regional aircraft some turbo prop. Some people do not prefer these smaller yet safe aircraft.

Munich is a major hub for Star Alliance - Lufthansa, Air canada etc. A modern and most efficient airport for passport control and baggage.
I never heard of Lufthansa offering free flights Germany to Salzburg , Innsbruck. They are in businees to make a profit not giveaways.
Would be most interested to see this free offer as I am a Lufthansa Frequent Flyer and regularly receive special offer notices- never one such as this.
You pay based on departure and destination city.
The poster asked easiest transfer from St. Anton not the shortest,
The train takes you quickly and efficiently to Zurich from St. Anton station near the center of town - frequent service. Arriving in Zurich one simply transfers to the regional train to the airport station ( located in the lower level of the airport) takes 10 -15 minutes-

Bus service also available from various points in the Arlberg directly to the airport- a very easy and no stress transfer.

Zurich is good sized airport - frequent trans -atlantic service and also numerous flights to Munich, frankfurt or elsewhere for a connection.

Innsbruck may require a change of train and then a taxi ride to the airport. Innsbruck offers limited service connections- happen to miss your connection and a long wait can occur. Connections and thus service limited.

for comparison purposes you can always look to Luftahsa website
www.lufthansa.com

A little work will provide good info for comparison of costs and timing.