Gundel Restaurant Budapest

Jun 29th, 2006, 06:56 AM
Original Poster

Gundel Restaurant Budapest

Has anyone had brunch at the Gundel Restaurant in Budapest? How much does it cost and is it worthwhile?
Jun 29th, 2006, 07:23 AM

Tyger....Gundel offers lot of glitter, exceptionally high-priced for Budapest...there are so many more authentically Hungarian choices. On Castle Hill we like Karily near the Hilton and Fisherman's Bastion..also Fehete Hollo (The Black Raven) if it's still around...across from the Bastion..both have entertianment/music, etc

Stu T.
Jun 29th, 2006, 07:33 AM

Tyger-I too, would like to dissuade from Gundel's in favor of a subsidiary of Gundel's "BAGOLYVAR" (Owl's Castle).

The food is traditional Hungarian-but not quite so stodgy-lighter-very good, great desserts. It is run entirely by women, and I believe it's more highly regarded than Gundel's - which is a really expensive, somewhat stuffy and formal place.
Jun 29th, 2006, 01:17 PM

the owl is gundel's sister retaurant i believe. we ate at both.
our friends were impressed with them both.
gundels was "prettier" more crowded, more expensive , good food, though, but overpriced.

that said,it was a nice setting to celebrate something special. just be warned.. my jug of "tap water" i asked for was 6 euros ( if i recall correctly).
they said they filled it with mineral water.
(but not in front of me)

i even wrote them about it.
they wrote back but did nothing else.

the owl is behind gundel. there is also a lovely winery in the basement near gundel.
great area.
Jun 29th, 2006, 01:32 PM

Definitely agree with all of the above regarding Bagolyvar over Gundel.
Jun 29th, 2006, 02:14 PM

Well, we (five couples) had a good dinner and a good time at Gundel in 2000.

I think I had a tasting menu of some sort, and my husband remembers having some type of game.

We all got a kick out of the strolling gypsy violinist. Sounds stuffy, but it didn't seem so at the time. Our group can usually have fun most anywhere.

Don't remember the cost.

Byrd

Jun 29th, 2006, 08:34 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your input. We were actually thinking of their Brunch which is approx Euro 20. p.p. and was recommended by friends. But now we will rethink this.
Jun 29th, 2006, 08:38 PM

I have eaten at Gundels several times, although not in the last 5 years, and I always found the restaurant to be a real treat, one of the all time favourites in the world, and I would always eat there if I am in Budapest. Expensive yes, but some things in life are worth paying a bit more. I am sure there are equally as good restaurants if you are on budget, but this one has that special touch.
Jun 29th, 2006, 08:51 PM

Tyger- you might want to look at this restaurant review at Frommer's:

http://www.frommers.com/destinations...st/D42139.html

I really think you'd enjoy Bagolyvar more-you get basically the same great food as Gundel's but not in such stuffy surroundings or at such inflated prices.
Jun 30th, 2006, 04:18 AM

I too really enjoyed dinner at Gundel. Not sure if it applies for brunch, but at dinner men had to weara jacket, in case that's a consideration.
Jun 30th, 2006, 04:52 AM

We haven't tried Gundel yet. But will agree that Bagolyvar is very good. It is relaxed, but still very nice.

Jun 30th, 2006, 06:04 AM

I have never eaten there. But I do have Gundelīs dessert pancake recipe, and if the rest of the food tastes as good as those pancakes it is certainly worthwhile.
Jun 30th, 2006, 10:10 AM
Original Poster

caroline_edinburgh - I contacted Gundel's and they do not require jackets and bruch. Since we will be travelling with another couple we'll have all your suggestions with us and I'll let them decide. Thanks again to all.
Jun 30th, 2006, 12:22 PM

I had brunch at Gundel this past January, I didn't plan or book ahead, just happen to walk by while visiting the park. Actually I didn't find it stuffy or not friendly, and definately I didn't dress-up either.

The food was quite good-quality or presentation, I had one of the best lamb and some lovely fish, the desert table was excelent for people into sweet. The price seemed cheaper in the winter, I remember it ws cheaper than the breakfast in Le Meridien.
Jul 7th, 2006, 04:08 AM

bookmarking
Jul 7th, 2006, 04:16 AM

Had lunch at Gundel and enjoyed the meal.