Search

France: Camembert Change...Rials Some

Search this Thread

Old May 17th, 2018, 10:48 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
France: Camembert Change...Rials Some

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/16/w...nch-label.html

Interesting story about traditional Camembert cheese and how changes in what can be labeled 'Camembert' has changed - upsetting cheese gourmets and artisinale producers.

riles not rials!

Last edited by PalenQ; May 17th, 2018 at 11:26 AM.
Old May 17th, 2018, 11:27 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Doesn't the NYT have anything better to worry about?

This was in the news in France, too, but I don't understand the big deal. If you like something -- such as unpasteurized camembert or pasteurized camembert -- I don't really care if they change the name of it. When local "feta" became "ewe cheese" in France after Greece (quite reasonably) regained control of the feta name, it didn't bother me at all.

These tempests in a teapot are beginning to annoy me, just like the "best baguette" competition when fewer than 10% of the bakeries in Paris bother to participate.
Old May 17th, 2018, 11:34 AM
Original Poster

O totally agree with kerouac and posted because I thought it was kind of ridiculous- who can't read a label? Same with Champagne vs method Champaigne for same stuff produced in other areas.
Old May 17th, 2018, 09:07 PM

Only 8% of the current Camembert production is made from raw milk; and it does taste better than the cheese made from pasteurized milk.
Old May 18th, 2018, 12:02 AM

I thought the production must be moving to Iran when I read the title - rials being the currency of Iran, riles being getting annoyed. Pedantic I know.

I don't like cheese much so it doesn't bother me one way or another, but I can see that the artisan cheese makers are concerned about their future because of this subtle labelling change.

I make a point of buying raw milk cheese for DH if I can, because he enjoys it so much more than pasteurised.
I also buy raw milk yougurt and kefir, since pasteurisation also kills of the good bugs in those.
Old May 18th, 2018, 04:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Coming from the US, where all "Camembert" comes from pasteurized milk and tastes slightly better than soap, a meal of Camembert lait cru was a highlight of our trip to Paris last fall. Stinky cheese forever!
Old May 18th, 2018, 06:08 AM
Original Poster

I thought the production must be moving to Iran when I read the title - rials being the currency of Iran, riles being getting annoyed. Pedantic I know>

I realized mistake right after posting but editing feature won't let me edit title.

Better title would have been "Change in Camembert rules raises stink in France"
Old May 18th, 2018, 06:54 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
The pasteurized camembert in the United States must be UHT pasteurized, and yes, I have tasted that awful stuff, because the pasteurized camembert in France continues to evolve quite agreeably, and that is what I normally buy, because the raw camembert starts reeking very rapidly. I prefer to be able to take my time a little bit before finishing it.

AJPeabody, if you put camembert in the "stinky cheese" category, you clearly have many more French cheeses about which you need to learn.
Old May 18th, 2018, 11:55 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Around here, anything that has an odor stronger than milk is called stinky. I realized such cheese was great when in college I tasted some limburger on a dare and found it to be quite good. I like my Brie half liquid. And Epoisses! Half barnyard and half heaven. Oh, yes! And Livarot, too.
Old May 18th, 2018, 12:21 PM
Original Poster

Camembert may not ordinarily be a stinky cheese but at Sunday noon meals at my French son's mi-mere's house her camembert often was really stinky from being too old and her to cheap to toss out.