Guided Hikes in UK

Old Dec 20th, 2002, 11:43 AM
dave

Guided Hikes in UK

Does anyone have any recommendations for companies that offer guided walks/hikes in the UK? I'm looking for trips that would offer physically challenging walks/climbs (with maybe some scrambling/ascents but not technically difficult ascents) preferably with companies that attract 20s-40s singles (but not exclusively, and not "singles trips"). Any suggestions appreciated.

Old Dec 20th, 2002, 11:59 AM
Jc

Check:www.hfholidays.co.uk. I haven't travelled with them, but from what I heard,seems quite reputable.

Old Dec 20th, 2002, 12:04 PM
Sheila

But Hf are not really for challenging stuff. I'll look some up later and post for you.

Old Dec 21st, 2002, 01:10 AM
jes

I have a recommendation for an excellent walking company, but it
only partially meets your requirements I'm afraid. I'll post anyway since you haven't had many responses.

I have walked three trips with Footpath Holidays (www.footpath-holidays.com) and
highly recommend this UK company. They offer small groups of 8-12 walkers, excellent hotels and knowledgable & engaging leaders. It's a small company and the owners are very attentive to all the details. Their "daypack" hikes focus on the more difficult routes, and perhaps attract younger walkers, so look for that category of trip (as opposed to their regular guided tours).
On their regular guided tours, you might consider the "energetic" ones.
Demographically, on the regular guided walks I have taken with them, the other walkers were from mid-30s to 70s. I have generally been one of the youngest people in the group (I'm in my late 30s now), with most folks hovering around the 40s and 50s. Usually a good mix of singles and couples, and I've never been the only single. That said, alot of "single" walkers are actually attached at home but their significant other doesn't want to do a walking holiday. I always enjoy talking to the folks who are older than I am because they have walked so many more places than I have and have good walking stories and recommendations to share.

If the age group aspect of the trip is the most important to you, you might check out the holidays sponsored by the Ramblers Association in the UK. Based on what I've heard from other walkers, I don't think that HF is what you're looking for. Someone else on this board may know of other outfits that focus more towards 20s-40s.

Good luck!
Jan

Old Dec 21st, 2002, 12:14 PM
ron

I think folks who have never been on HF holidays are dismissing them too quickly. They offer a wide range of walks. Their most difficult are called challenger walks; quoting from the brochure, “You will need to be an extremely fit experienced walker with a good head for heights. Walking will be over rough ground, may involve scrambling and can be at a demanding pace.” These challenge holidays are offered in Dartmoor, Lake District, North Wales (all 15 Welsh munros in 5 days) and Scotland (Isle of Arran, Pitlochry and Glen Coe).

While the average age of walkers on the less strenuous walks is mid-50s, I would imagine the age on these more difficult walks would be much younger.