Reload this Page >

Athens vicinity restaurants

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11th, 2002, 03:53 PM
Nicholas

I have read on a number of sites now that seafood is very expensive in and around Athens. I find this difficult to comprehend as it is surrounded by rich fishing waters. Have any of you had personal experiences finding reasonable, local seafood restaurants you would recommend?

Old Dec 12th, 2002, 02:13 AM
jef-europe

<BR>fish is normally sold per kilo so you should expect to pay 30 to 50 euros per kilo for a fresh fish<BR><BR><BR>1/ For the view ,service and food(including meaton charcoal and greek spelities) go to<BR>Lambros in Vouliagmeni (30 min from athens) 30- 50 us dol per person including wine<BR>Do not miss the visit of the swallow water lake and cave just behibd this restaurant.<BR>You can even swim.<BR><BR>2/ I Trata ,stelios tavern. Kaissariani square...one of our best kept secret places.20-35 us dol/per person<BR><BR>3/Do not go to microlimano,a pure tourist trap!<BR><BR>

Old Dec 13th, 2002, 02:17 AM
Byron

I agree with Jeff. Microlimano is a pure rip off. Actually, we felt a bit oozy after that meal as well. Fish is expensive. Thanks Jeff, for the tip on Trata. Never heard of that one. We had a very expensive fish meal at an expensive restaurant, Daphni's. Very nice place though. Sea bass was outstanding.

Old Dec 13th, 2002, 07:38 AM
jef-europe

An other option is the only one star michelin awarded restaurant for seafood<BR>Varoulko a superb gourmet dining experience.(and cheap if you compare it to similar in the US)<BR><BR>Seafood and inovative cuisine is excellent at Piperia in Neo Psychico<BR><BR>And the master of the medit .fish cuisine quote'fish culture' is Kollias,somewhere in pireaus (find where....)a hidden gem for visiting head of states/artists/finance and busin. people, all of them incognitos, mixed with local families...<BR>My mother's in law favourite as well.....!

Old Dec 13th, 2002, 07:46 AM
Nola

No specific recommendations but try to find small tavernas near the sea. They are always cheaper than restaurants, although the sea food still isn't cheap. (50+ at restaurants 20ish per person at a taverna)<BR><BR>Whatever the economics of it are, even when you buy fresh fish at local weekly markets, it's still pricey. I guess since everything else is so cheap in Greece we expect the sea food to be too.<BR>

Old Dec 19th, 2002, 05:50 AM
Carol

My info may be outdated, since I last went to this restaurant in 2000, but the Psaras Fish Grill right in the Plaka was reasonable and had great food. I'm from Florida, so I'm picky about seafood and am used to fresh fish. They walked me back into the kitchen and let me pick out the fish I wanted (a really clean kitchen!)

Old Dec 20th, 2002, 07:42 AM
kathy

Nola, when were you last in GReece, I have just been there and I can assure you that nothing is cheap there anymore and the fact that there was a boycott of shops in Athens for one day by the people protesting against prices proves that. The hotels are of a poor quality and very expensive for what you get, the food generally is very poor but at very high prices. Also there is not a rish supply of fish in the Meditteranean anymore, you only have to be at the fishing harbours when the catches are brought in to realise that.

Old Dec 20th, 2002, 07:43 AM
kathy

That should read rich supply of fish, obviously, in a big hurry here.

Old Dec 21st, 2002, 12:53 PM
Yiannis

I am from Athens and I will have to admit that I would never eat fish at a place like Plaka where many tourists prefer to do so. Of course there are always exceptions. I don't know where Jef-europe is from but his info (not only in this post) seems from my experience very accurate and info of someone who knows Athens well. My only advice would be in case you find yourself in aa fish-tavern where you don't know if the fish is fresh, prefer small fish like Maridhes (Whitebait) and/or Atherina (Sand smelt, silverside, atherine)=(small fish).<BR>