Gubbio hotels

Apr 24th, 2006, 08:46 AM
Original Poster

Gubbio hotels

Hello,

Any favorite hotels in Gubbio? I tried the Ducale but it's booked. We are looking for something on the upscale side and within walking distance to "downtown." Bosone, perhaps?

Many thanks!

Apr 24th, 2006, 05:29 PM
Original Poster

ttt
Apr 24th, 2006, 05:53 PM
Neopolitan

We stayed at the Bosone Palace just one night in 1997. I don't recall much about it except that we liked it. I just looked at my journal and didn't make any comments at all about the hotel, other than it was a bit of a problem unloading luggage then having to park somewhere else due to "construction", so that probably doesn't mean much now.
I did mention that we were very disappointed in the highly recommended Taverna del Lupo which is owned by the hotel.
And I do know we loved the location of the hotel.

Apr 24th, 2006, 06:11 PM

I had a bad experience at Taverna del Lupo also, it seems they have a "special" menu for tourists with high prices and lower quality food preparation. If you eat there insist on the regular menu, the one that is posted outside is the good one if I remember correctly. I also remember the waiter telling us some story to get a service tip.

Gubbie is a cute little town, ride the cage up the hill.
Apr 24th, 2006, 06:16 PM

It looks like so far I am the exception...DH and I had a wonderful lunch at Taverna..we still speak of it as one of the highlights of our stay in Gubbio two years ago. The food was very, very good and service was attentive and pleasant...we were there off season..do you think that made a difference???? Can't offer help with hotels as we stayed at Ducale..
Apr 24th, 2006, 07:52 PM

Jeppyland,

Will you have a car? If so, consider staying at an agristurismo or albergo ristorante in the countyside. It is so beautiful in that part of Umbria, and you'll have a much simpler time parking your car.

Try looking on the Bella Umbria website.
Apr 24th, 2006, 08:18 PM
Neopolitan

If you stay in the country but you have to drive into Gubbio, how is parking easier than if you stay in Gubbio and they provide parking right there? I'm confused about that.

Apr 24th, 2006, 09:09 PM

We were renting a home near Assisi and the neighbors warned us against going to Gubbio, they said the population is inbred and known for being peculiar. So of course we wanted to go there!

Apr 24th, 2006, 10:25 PM

SeaUrchin, take a webcam if you go back
Apr 25th, 2006, 05:15 AM

Hi jeepyland,

After I answered your post last night, I wondered: "Is that the couple going to Umbria instead of Amalfi?" and I clicked on your name to see your posts and -- sure enough!

I read the other posts about trying to pick the right town. Is the plan still to spend some time deep in the countryside and then some time in a livelier place?

If so, I strongly suggest you consider a 4 star or 5 star in Perugia over Gubbio, unless you can't handle that much excitement. There is so much to see there, many fantastic artistic and historic sites, and so much fun (university city). It's an extraordinary place, physically. And an enomrous variety of great restaurants and fabulous chocolate. You could give up your car rental before then and put the money toward a nice hotel.

If Perugia just doesn't sound small enough, I'm tempted to say go into to Ascoli Piceno (and stay at the Palazzo Guiderocchi). It's a marvelously beautiful small town with a terrific sidewalk caffe ambience and good food. From there, with a car, you can daytrip to the nicest part of the Adriatic coast and other fascinating towns. Only problem is, when you return, when you tell people where you honeymooned, it won't sound glamorous at all!

If you were willing to take a longer drive, I'd suggest Urbino, too, but I've forgotten where your flights are, and what time of year you are going.

I've never stayed overnight in Gubbio, but my impressions of the town were that not a lot people live there (and the ones that remain are inbreeding? LOL!) It's a startling well-preserved antique on the whole, but it has less of what other towns offer.

That said, Gubbio is in a fantastic part of the Umbrian countryside and views from Gubbio during the day are quite pretty. And if given a few days, just about every Italian hilltown begins to reveal its hidden side and friendliest face. If you plan to do a lot of daytripping from Gubbio, I would get a hotel with convenient parking (and that way you won't have to haul your luggage around either).

No doubt Gubbio's fans will come to its defense here, and Perugia has its detractors, although to me, it rivals Venezia and Napoli as Italian destinations that are like nothing you've ever seen before.
Apr 25th, 2006, 05:53 AM
Neopolitan

It is true that there is "less" in Gubbio than in Perugia. A whole lot less. And that is its basic charm. Perugia is indeed a pretty fantastic city. I was overwhelmed years ago when we parked in the lower city and took escalators up towards the main square in the higher town (since then, of course I've seen that sort of thing elsewhere).
We diverted there simply because the autostrata was blocked from a big accident and we decided to do a detour for an hour or so in the early morning. Instead we spent all day.

And let me say I'm not a fan of country stays because they are just too removed and too "boring" for me. But there was a wonderful charm in Gubbio. Although as I mentioned we didn't have a wonderful meal where we went, we spent a couple hours strolling the town afterwards, and here was a real but small living city. There are only a couple of hotels which gives you an idea that it is primarily a town where people live, not visit. And after the day trippers (not that many compared to other hill towns) have left from looking at buying the unique and fun pottery and tiles, you feel you are in a real living city. (Seems like I should make another "inbred" comment here, but I'm not sure what it should be).

If you're looking for some peace and quiet and charm, yet not be totally removed from civilization, Gubbio has a lot to offer you. If you're looking for more major churches and larger museums, don't stay here.

Apr 25th, 2006, 06:09 AM

On Sunday evening, the passeggiatta was memorable....it seemed EVERYONE in the town was out greeting one another...we have seen many of these evening walks in other towns, but the one in Gubbio remains a favorite....it was a festival!
Apr 25th, 2006, 06:15 AM

Hi Traviata,

If you are into passegiatas, you really must stay in Perugia sometime, since several thousand people fill the Corso Vanucci and talk up a storm. The window shopping and the bars, pasticcierias and gelaterias along the Corso are great. It's quite a sight.

Glad to know those Gubbians come out en masse at some point. The town felt quite depopulated when I was there.
Apr 25th, 2006, 06:23 AM

nessun,

Is it one "g" or two "gs" in passeggiata???..I have seen it both ways and I know you are taking classes....I LOVE to see the evening walks because, to me, the true character of a place is walking the streets and the squares at that time....I have to gather my nerve to go back to Perugia..we drove in last year, got completely lost, arrived on the day of Eurochocolate to throngs of people....owe our sanity to the kindest Italian gentleman who guided us out of town, and lots and lots of chocolate...
Apr 25th, 2006, 06:28 AM

Hi Jeepy,

I had planned to stay 2 nights in Gubbio last Sept and my hotel was the Relais Ducale. The hotel itself was very nice. Beautiful views from the top level rooms, lovely gardens with lots of flowers. Very attentive service.

HOWEVER - my first room had an awesome view AND a self-activating bathroom fan that screeched to wake the dead, along with a moldy shower. I asked for another room and was given one on a lower level that had been more recently renovated. View of a wall.

The church bells across the piazza rang and I thought they would stop around 10 or 11 pm like most. WRONG! They rang all night long, every 15 minutes. The room windows were not sound proofed as you would expect at a 4* with a noise problem like this! I had no sleep at all. Needless to say, I checked out early the next morning.

Gubbio was a nice town and I would have liked to to spend more time there. The main piazza is beautiful with incredible views. The Sunday afternoon I spent there, they had an orchestra from the university at Perugia perform in the piazza.

The "bucket of bolts", as Maitaitom calls it, was a great ride. Shops and ceramics were wonderful and very nice local people. Very few tourists.

Really did not enjoy the Taverna del Lupo. Overpriced for Umbria, disappointing food, very stuffy atmosphere, poured me a glass of wine that was undrinkable.

Hotel parking was far down below the Centro Storico and they had free shuttle bus service to/from the parking garage. The ride took about 10 minutes, it's that far away.

There is also a public parking lot at the bottom of the hill, but it's rather expensive to park there. Don't even try to drive up and park somewhere higher. There is NO parking and the streets are extremely narrow. Probably the most narrow of all the hilltowns I've visited.

I would recommend visiting Gubbio and staying there, but somewhere away from the bells!

Buon viaggio!
Apr 25th, 2006, 07:10 AM
Neopolitan

I just re-read the original post. jeepyland was asking about a hotel in Gubbio. I must have missed the part where he/she said, "please tell me other cities that would be better to visit instead of Gubbio." When someone asks about a hotel in Rome, should others wax poetically about the charms of Stockholm? What am I missing here?

Apr 25th, 2006, 07:17 AM

Traviata,

Don't go by my spelling of anything -- least of all my primitive Italian! I'm dashing off right now to my Italian teacher, and I'll ask. ;-)

Apr 25th, 2006, 07:21 AM

PS: Traviata,

Aren't those kindly Italian gentlemen who rescue you from all kinds of traps incredible. They are like some special kind of angel. Driving in and out of Perugia definitely takes some foreknowledge and a forewarning to keep one's cool. That in place, it's quite a town, filled with nightlife, great eats and some of the very best art in Italy.

ciao!
Apr 25th, 2006, 07:21 AM

Traviata,

The correct spelling is passeggiata; incorrect spellings abound.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO