Gstaad Transportation and Restaurants

Jan 12th, 2013, 12:13 PM
Original Poster

Gstaad Transportation and Restaurants

We will be in Gstaad for 3 nights in February. Currently have reservations at 2 hotels but will need to confirm one and cancel the other in the next day or so. Arc-en-Ciel hotel is .5 miles from Gstaad city center. Ermitage Hotel is 2.83 miles from Gstaad city center.

Will there be public transportion for us to get to city center and ski resort?

Also, would love restaurant recommendations for this area as well.

Thanks!
Jan 12th, 2013, 09:58 PM

Hi susant100,

Here is my response to your question on another thread:

<
The Ermitage is in the town of Schönried, which has its own skiing area.

You can use the Swiss rail site to see the transportation between Schönried and Gstaad --

www.rail.ch

You'll see that the trip takes 8 minutes and that it appears there are two trains (or a bus) every hour (ex: departing at 08.43, 09.24, 09.31, 10.24, 10.43, 11.24, 11.40 . . .)

I'm not sure why you would need to get to Gstaad very frequently -- Schönried is a neat little town in itself, and you may find all you need to do and see from there. You may want to visit Gstaad once or twice just to see it, but you don't need to go there every day.

You should also investigate the slopes plan and see where you may want to be skiing, and you should investigate the tranportation between slopes. Here is a link to the slopes plan:

http://ski.intermaps.com/gstaad//ind...&Aktuell=Lifte

Here is a link to a description of the ski areas:

http://www.gstaad.ch/en/page.cfm/Cab...inter/Skiareas

Have fun!!>>

I've never seen the Ermitage even though I visited Schönried frequently on my last visit to Gstaad, but a trusted friend told me that it sits on a major road -- so noise may be a problem.

If you end up in Gstaad, I can recommend the Chesery restaurant, the Bagatelle in the Hotel Grand Chalet, and the restaurants at the Post Hotel Rössli.

Have fun as you plan!

s
Jan 12th, 2013, 10:03 PM

Hi again,

I'd also like to suggest that you try again for a hotel using Gstaad's central booking site at

www.gstaad.ch

Just enter your dates and the number in your party. I just tried it for two different dates in February, for three nights, and a few other hotels in the center of Gstaad showed as available.

s
Jan 13th, 2013, 10:50 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for the info. I have tried on numerous occasions to book with www.gstaad.ch and have not been able to find a room for my dates of travel.

My main reason for spending time in Gstaad was for dinne on 2 nights. I have reservations at La Bagatelle and at Saagi Stubli.
Jan 13th, 2013, 11:41 AM
Original Poster

Also, @swandav2000...I'm a bit confused with the ski areas. I was told by my hotel that there is a ski lift very close to the hotel and I am assuming it all ties into a large resort. I've looked at the map you suggested. We may only ski one day here and want to experience the largest area possible.
Jan 13th, 2013, 09:58 PM

Hi again,

Which hotel told you that? I think I told you that the Arc-en-Ciel lies next to the Eggli lift, and that there is a ski area above Schönried, so that would be true for both hotels.

I think I also told you that I've never skied the area, so I could only guess from what these websites and maps show. The description of the ski areas says that the area above Schönried is the largest one.

s
Jan 14th, 2013, 07:42 AM
Original Poster

We are booked at the Ermitage in Schonried. We are planning on skiing the area near our hotel. From what I can see on the website, it looks like this area will offer us plenty!
Jan 14th, 2013, 08:07 AM

I think so too!! Even though I live in a ski town (Garmisch-Partenkirchen, Germany), I am tempted to go there for a ski vacation!

s
Jan 18th, 2013, 02:00 AM

Dear Susant
I just can confirm, that you made a good choice. Both hotels would have been nice. Ermitage has one star more, is freshly renovated and offers a big SPA area.
Both hotels are near a big ski area. But the area in Schoenried is bigger (about 105km) and offers a lot of different possibilities.
Don't miss to have a little snack in one of the restaurants on the slope. Maybe Hamilton Lodge or ImFang (Rinderberg), Kübeli (Saanersloch) or Stall Beizli (Horneggli).
Check the train connections to Gstaad. If okay I just can recommend this short ride through the pictoresque Gruben.
Enjoy your stay.
pb