Gstaad in late May

Search

Gstaad in late May

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19th, 2006, 09:53 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gstaad in late May

We are contemplating travelling to Gstaad during the last week of May/ first week of June with our 3 and 5 year old children. My husband has always wanted to go to Gstaad - we have been to other parts of Switzerland.

I am wondoring if anyone knows if spring will be in full force by then. Ex - will leaves be on the trees, flowers out, will the snow have melted and the ground will not be a wet muddy mess, etc.

I have researched many places in lower elevation but it appears that my husband has his heart set on Gstaad. The week I am thinking about is fixed because my daugter has a school break then, but I can always move my trip to August instead if necessary.

Thank you!
Old Dec 19th, 2006, 10:48 AM

>I am wondoring if anyone knows if spring will be in full force by then. Ex - will leaves be on the trees, flowers out, will the snow have melted and the ground will not be a wet muddy mess, etc.

In the valleys? No, the spring will be over by then (even in Gstaad, which is at 1000 m and thus not extremely high). At around 1800-2000 m you will overtake the spring At the mountaintops, above 2000-2500 m hiking won't be good because higher hiking trails might be a wet muddy mess... or maybe not.
Old Dec 19th, 2006, 11:44 AM

Late May/Early June should be OK. You should definitely see the cows back in the pasture. Though it would get chilly in the mornings and evenings, so bring your pullovers and/or jackets.
Old Dec 19th, 2006, 10:41 PM

Hi where2,

Oh gosh, can you feel my envy??? I absolutely love Gstaad & the Saanenland. It's gorgeous, with green rolling hills and hikes and bike trails that go on forever. If you haven't already found it yet, you can do some research at www.gstaad.ch, and click on "summer" and then "sport" to see all that's available.

Also, here are some of my reviews (w/photos) of the area:

Saanen
http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserR...wiss_Alps.html

Gstaad
http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserR...wiss_Alps.html

And now finally to your question -- I found lots of wildflowers in the area in early-mid June. So it may be too early for full-bodied blooms of most flowers, but the wildflowers will turn the meadows yellow. It's lovely imo!

altamiro, I am a bit confused by what you said about spring being over in May -- ?? Do you mean that summer will have started with all flowers blooming? Please help! Thanks!

s
Old Dec 20th, 2006, 01:19 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for your information. I feel much better about Gstaad in late May/early June.

Swandav - thank you for you links to the reviews. I have been looking for some pics of the town and haven't been finding much. These are fantastic. Plus I appreciate the reviews. I too was a bit hesitant to choose this location b/c of the "rich and famous" connection. My husband heads straight for those places and I head straight away. So I was kind of looking for an excuse to go somewhere else. But now I am totally psyched.

We were in Grindelwald and Zermatt the third week of June last year and the weather was perfect - I had to buy shorts as it was warmer than I expected. I was just putting together my online scrapbook on Shutterfly (I am so so behind in my scrapbooks)and there were still patches of snow on First but not tons and it definitely was not muddy.

I am going to keep the date! Thank you!