Group Tour for a Solo Traveler

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31st, 2007, 05:20 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am looking for some input on selecting a tour group for a solo traveler going to Italy probably in the fall, Oct or early Nov more than likely. Rome would have to be included and it would probably be for about 8 days.

I prefer a tour group rather than solo. I would be 30 by this time, and am single, and male. I would like something affordable that is mainly the 20s or 30s age group, hopefully with other solo travelers. Contiki seems to fit most of the criteria. Some partying is fine, but I definitely want to sightsee too. Can anyone offer advice, experiences with Contiki, other tour group options?

Thanks!
Old Jan 31st, 2007, 05:44 PM

Hi Elwood--

I went on Contiki in 2001 when I was 21 and had a really fun time. The crowd will be mostly younger than you and probably up most of the night at the hotel/hostel bar, but you don't have to go if you don't want to!

For young people (35 and younger) Contiki is the only bus tour I'd consider. You can also look into Busabout-- not sure if they go to Rome, but I met many travelers who were happy with Busabout. It offers more flexibility. Otherwise Contiki is what it is, and as long as you go into it expecting a party atmosphere, you will have fun.

In each town there is a guided tour with additional optional activities. You also have free time to wander on your own. Let me know if I can answer any other questions.

Liz
Old Jan 31st, 2007, 05:50 PM
Original Poster

Would someone about 30 and by themselves feel out of place? What about hotels? Many reviews seem to say that the hotels were far outside the city center and some were pretty dumpy. I just want clean and comfortable, defitintely don't need the ritz. I'd rather not have to worry about the bedbugs actually biting. What was your experience?
Old Jan 31st, 2007, 05:54 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Trafalgar has tours for ages 21-38.
http://www.trafalgar.com/content.asp...ochuretypeID=8
Old Jan 31st, 2007, 06:31 PM

Elwood- I went on a "budget tour" where we sometimes stayed in hotels and sometimes in cabins in campgrounds (no tents). All accommodation was clean. I can't remember any problems. However, the accommodation is often located out of the city center. The bus would sometimes drop us off and pick us up at set times, or we could take public transport to our accommodation depending on the city.

It's impossible to know exactly what type of experience you will have because the mix-up of the passengers on your bus could vary. On my tour, there were maybe 3-4 people 30 and over, but they definitely blended in with the rest of us. Most people on our tour were from Australia, with some Canadians, Americans, and Kiwis. Other buses had mostly Japanese. The ages and backgrounds of participants could vary a lot.

Liz
Old Jan 31st, 2007, 07:00 PM
Original Poster

Liz,

Thanks again for the feedback! Hope you don't mind all the questions... Did you feel like you were always travelling or did you have a fair amount of time to see things?... The hotels outside the city center, were there still things nearby, restaurants, bars, ATMs, etc?

Thanks for the Busabout idea too. Looks interesting.

Don
Old Jan 31st, 2007, 07:08 PM

Don- No problem.

The trip was obviously fast-paced, but I do feel that I got a good sense of the character of each place we visited. You do have free time in each city to shop or see things not included on the group tour.

Some hotels outside the city were within walking distance of restaurants, bars, etc. If dinner was not included, then we ate in town. If it was included that day, we ate at our lodging. There was ALWAYS a bar at wherever we were staying. We (my friend and I) usually stayed at those bars because everyone there spoke English and we loved everyone on our bus. I can't really remember ATM locations, but I am sure our tour guide would warn us if there was not an ATM where we were headed.

If you narrow down your tours, let me know what you're choosing between. I would definitely attempt to find a tour that visits Lauterbrunnen, Switzerland, Hopfgarten, Austria, and/or the Contiki chalet in France. I loved those stops. I also enjoyed Rome, Florence, and Venice, but we stayed at cabins in campgrounds in all three places.

Liz
Old Jan 31st, 2007, 07:24 PM
Original Poster

Liz,

I am strongly leaning toward the Italian Expresso. It's an eight day tour that includes Rome, Florence, and Venice. I have always wanted to see Italy, especially these 3 cities. The other one is Berlin and Prague, mainly to see Prague... Budget and vacation time would limit me to an 8-10 day tour, that's about it.

Don
Old Jan 31st, 2007, 07:26 PM

Backroads has some "singles" tours, and they put together really wonderful active vacations. They do a 6 day, 5 night package. You could put a day at the beginning of your trip to get over jet lag ... and a night or two at the end to do some independent traveling.

I've always loved the Backroads trips I have taken.
Old Jan 31st, 2007, 07:38 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
It sounds like you would better enjoy something not by Contiki. You seem more serious about the trip than the experiences I have read from Contiki participants.

I've never been on a tour so this is not from personal experience, but just knowing the target audience for various companies, you'll be happier elsewhere.

Rick Steves is good but I'm pretty sure is much more expensive (it's small groups, not a bus tour). Backroads mentioned above sounds interesting too.

My suggestion is to pick up a copy of the magazine "Budget Travel" and read thru the ads and recommendations in the "40 Tips" column monthly. There's loads of other options.
Old Feb 1st, 2007, 05:12 AM

Not sure why being with a group is important to you. Is it price?

The three cities you list are the big 3 with great public transportantion and affordable lodging.

As someone who has done Italy on her own since much younger than you, I think the real value is in not doing a tour where you likely - from these posts - will be outside the centers of these wonderful places and therefore miss a lot over this very short period.
Old Feb 1st, 2007, 05:51 AM

Don,

After reading your last post, I have to agree with the others. If you just want to see the big 3 Italian cities, and only have 8-9 days, you should try and do it on your own.

If you're worried about meeting people, you will likely be able to meet people at hostels or through the Lonely Planet's Thorntree message boards ahead of time.

With that short amount of time and only being in cities, you'd be better off staying in the city centers.

Liz
Old Feb 1st, 2007, 12:03 PM
Original Poster

Liz,

For a first trip to Italy, and with my time and budget constraints, I was really only interested in seeing Rome and the area immediately around it, Pompeii, etc. I am really not keen in going by myself and doubt I would be able to find anyone to go with me. A tour seemed to be the best option, although I am concerned about trying to cover such a large are in a fairly short time frame. Haven't found any that specialize in just Rome. I'd rather get a better idea of one place and then come back later to see the rest.... Is it really worth travelling completely solo, ie not even in an group? Seems like a pretty lonely week.

What can you tell me about hostels? Aren't they basically glorified dorm rooms with bunk beds and geared for a very young crowd? Not saying I wouldn't stay in such a place, but i don't know too much about it. Not yet anyway.

Don
Old Feb 1st, 2007, 12:11 PM

Not sure what your budget is but Rick Steves has a 7-day Rome tour for $1,495 (plus air).

http://tours.ricksteves.com/tours07/...rl/code/ROM07/

This doesn't include a trip to Pompeii, but a friend of mine went on it and loved it. She did Pompeii with another small group tour operator on her own.
Old Feb 1st, 2007, 12:17 PM

Don,

I did my last trip to Italy solo and absolutely loved it! The Italians as a whole are outgoing, hospitable people and getting around in Italy is easy.

I biggest advantage of going solo is that it makes you so much more approachable to locals and fellow travelers. Also, you are more observant because you aren't so busy interacting with your traveling companion(s).

Single hotels rooms are common, often very small, but available in many hotels.

You might want to check out my trip report from Sept 05, "Dayle's Solo Trip to Italy". Type that in the search box above and it should come up.

You can find out everything you need to know right here on Fodors. Don't hesitate to go solo, especially if you want to focus mainly on Rome. Small group tours from Context Rome are indepth and excellent.

Buon viaggio!
Old Feb 1st, 2007, 01:49 PM

I really did not find my solo trips to be lonely and I have done many. I quite like the total freedom of not having to be anywhere or do anything.

I am a pretty social person and made conversation very easily with many folks who I might have have spoken to other wise. The local cafes and enotecas are great places to meet people. I strongly urge you to learn some of the language before you travel.

Some of the very best trips in my life were solo and I would highly recommend it. These cities are all quite wonderful for easy exploration.

I have made many friends over my years of visits to Italy and met lots of them when travelling solo. Locals will just "adopt" you if you are friendly and outgoing and approachable.

I would limit myself to two of the three personally in that amount if time. I think there are B&B s in the areas you are visiting that will be more comfy than hostels and give you some degree of privacy. I book single rooms at 3 star hotels all the time, and yes, they are small, but who cares?

Good luck with whatever you decide.