Grindelwald questions

Old Jan 23rd, 2003, 12:31 PM
Missy

Grindelwald questions

I will be traveling from Seattle to Zurich and by the time we get to Grindelwald it will be late in the day. With jet lag I know we won't want to go up into the mountains that afternoon. Can anyone recommend a SHORT, scenic walk around Grindelwald before we go up into the mountains later in the week? Is it possible to take a train or cable car up to the Faulhorn? I know the walk from First to the Faulhorn is beautiful but I am thinking it will be easier for me to walk downhill than uphill. I will be staying at the Hotel Alpina. Are there weather cams at the hotels or only at the lifts? I'd like to be able to plan trips up to the mountain tops or stay at the lower level walks if the weather is foggy. If it is overcast in the morning does it stay that way all day or vice versa? We are going in July. Thanks for the help.

Old Jan 23rd, 2003, 01:01 PM
Patrick

First of all you will love the Alpina, especially the view from your balcony and the warm hospitality of the family.
Any hike involving First and/or Falhourn is pretty major for the jet lagged arrival. You don't say how many days you have, but I'd hold off for a full day for that one.
You can take the cable car up to Pfinstegg and walk down from there. I don't know how much time you have, but you can come down to arrive at Glacier Gorge, a wonderful walk along the glacier river through tunnels along the rapids. From there you can take a bus back. But if this is still too much, you might just take the bus over to Glacier Gorge and do that walk alone.
Another rather easy walk is to take the lift up to Mannlichen, and then the rather level but beautiful walk to Klein Scheidig. From there you can walk back down to Grindelwald or you can take the train down.

Old Jan 23rd, 2003, 02:08 PM
Bob Brown

About the Faulhorn, thank heavens no lift goes to the top! You can take the gondola to First, and then walk to the top. Behond the Bachsee, the trail gets steep and I estimate 2 hours even for a conditioned hiker. The altitude is non trivial by the time you get there.
The hike that is described as a classic is along the ridge that runs from Grosse Scheidegg to Schynige Platte.
If you begin at Schnyige Platte, a hiker can ride up on the mountain train from Wilderswil, which is the first stop on the rail line out of Interlaken Ost, just a short distance away.
From Schnige Platte, the hike to the First gondola station is across country, with ups and downs. The traverse can be made without ascending to the top of the Faulhorn, but if one elects to the alternate trail, a section of the route is narrow and exposed. If there are extensive stretches of ice on it, it can be hazardous. Even if clear, you must be careful because there is not much margin for error.

As for short scenic walks, I think the above suggestions about Stieregg are good. The gorge spectacular, but if you want the best part of it, you need to go when you can extend your excursion beyond the restaurant.
There is one hitch here, there is a gully to be crossed with the aid of a cable. Not much to it if you are fit; but it is an obstacle if you are clumsy.
Another ride that provides good viewing with a minimal of physical effort is to take the train down to Grindelwald Grund, and then ride the gondola up to the crest of the Männlichen, which the ridge that separates Grindelwald from Wengen and Lauterbrunnen. The ascent from the Grindelwald side is gradual; the descent on the Wengen side is abrupt.
It is an avalanche maker on the western slope.

As for what you want to do once you get there, I indeed question your saying that you KNOW that will not want to do and not do.

Well, I figured I would be jet lagged and all that. Nope, the adrenalin was pumping, the sky was clear, the views were awesome, the urge to see it in the afternoon sun was overwhelming, and my enthusiasm grew by the minute. We headed out and walked almost until dark. Besides getting exercise in the sunlight helps to get over jet lag by resetting the body's internal clock.

I decided if I was not there to see the mountains, then why the heck did I spend all of that money to get there!!

Old Jan 23rd, 2003, 02:43 PM
Patrick

Bob, I'm confused by your comments regarding Glacier Gorge. I've done it twice. You enter the series of tunnels at the restaurant, so I'm not sure what you are referring to by going beyond the restaurant. And I've never seen a cable you cross. The series of tunnels and boardwalk along the rushing waters extend a good mile or more and I saw no way you could go any further.

Old Jan 23rd, 2003, 08:30 PM
Lisa

Keep in mind that many of the hikes in this area are steep.

For large elevation changes, many prefer to walk up and take the gondola/bus down.
Easier on the knees!

Old Jan 24th, 2003, 06:27 AM
Bob Brown

For George. The hike I have reference to starts from the Pfingstegg cable car station. From there, one heads to the west (turn right) towards the side of the Eiger. The trail turns south (left) around the bend at the entrance to the glacial gorge: Der unterer Grindelwaldgletscher.

The trail then proceeds up hill and down to a restaurant at a location called Stieregg. Beyond Stieregg the trail continues along a shelf above the glacier.

The Fiescherhorn glacier is on your right as you walk "valley inwards" from the restaurant. The gully I mentioned is perhaps 300 to 400 yards beyond the restaurant.
Most of the ridge at that point is glacial till and erodes very easily.
Melt water and rain have cut a sizeable gully by washing out the uncompacted glacial till.

A loose cable was strung there some years ago to help hikers get across the gully.
If you continue on beyond that point you come to the cliffs known as the Rots Gufer. They are ascended by ladders and cables. I balked at that point, figuring I had gotten to be 69 by being cautious and I wanted to be 70.

In fact, if I go up there again this summer, I will leave the gully to others more nimble than I.
I want to be 71.

I think you may have in mind the "other" Grindelwald glacier, Der oberer Grindelwaldgletscher, which is to the east of the cable lift station at Pfingstegg, that is you turn left rather than right when you leave the station.

For anyone going there, at least look to the farm yard to the right. If the pigs are in residence, they are good for a laugh.
They were sleeping peacefully all snuggled up together when we went by. Let sleeping pigs lie.

Old Jan 24th, 2003, 06:36 AM
Patrick

Ah, Bob, as I suspected we were talking about two different glacier gorges. I have not done the one you mention -- must do it next time. This could explain why once we got on a bus we thought was taking us to the other gorge and ended up way west. But there we also climbed about a zillion ladder type steps up to a snack "hut" and entered a tunnel carved out into the glacier. Just didn't know about this cable crossing deal, must be near there. Something to add to the itinerary next time.

The walk I was talking about through the tunnels is indeed the other direction, and a pleasant, easier, and shorter walk.