Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

What Are Your Favorite Hikes in the Grindelwald Area?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20th, 2006, 04:14 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be in Grindelwald in mid-June, and I am wondering what hikes in that area Fodorites really enjoyed. We are interested in short to medium hikes (up to about 6 mile)s.
Old Apr 20th, 2006, 04:38 AM

Wengen to Kleine Scheidegg (uphill climb) has those in-your-face views of the Eiger, Monch, and Jungfrau. You may even get lucky and hear the roar of a glacier as it breaks away from the hill. Do it in reverse and the views are behind you but it's easier walking (for me) as it's downhill. The Swiss, though, they all seem to walk uphill. Guess they're used to it.

Mannlichen to Kleine Scheidegg (pretty flat all the way) - OMG, what a view!

Schigge Platte (sp?) has views from across the valley and also down to Interlaken (and a great terrace to have a coupe denmark!)

And of course over at First, there's glaciers galore with lots of peaks and valleys to drool over.

Grindelwald is IMO the king of views. Just about every direction you look takes your breath away. From short hikes to all day hikes, it's spectacular.

Have you checked with grindelwald.ch? There is plenty about hiking online, plus if you send away for their brochure, they'll send you a trail map.

Happy travels!
Old Apr 21st, 2006, 03:44 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Kopp for all the suggestions! I went to grindelwald.ch and can't find a selection for English. Am I just blind?
Old Apr 21st, 2006, 03:48 AM

Hi Digbydog,

Until kopp comes back, let me tell you that you can find the English pages by looking at the little boxes at the end of the line of text under the title "Grindelwald." Those little boxes say, "D" "E" "F" and "J," and those are for languages. Click on the "E" box.

Have fun!

s
Old Apr 21st, 2006, 04:12 AM

My favorite was the hike from First station to the Bachalpsee (take a gondola from Grindelwald to First). It is a bit uphill on the way to the Bachalpsee, but not too bad. The views are stunning, and on a nice day, you may have the added benefit of watching the paragliders take off at First. The first 18 or so photos in this album are from that trip:

http://community.webshots.com/album/111416215tDqoRc
Old Apr 21st, 2006, 07:04 AM

A hike that I am most fond of is the Alpligen to North face Eiger back down to Kleine Schedidegg.

But you must be in reasonably good condition, not Pittsburg Steeler condition perhaps, but good condition.

First part of this magnificent hike is somewhat strenuous. I'd suggest starting early enough in the day so frequent rest stops can be made.

You can do this hike in reverse also by starting in Kleine Scheidegg. Take the train as far as the Glacier station. Get off and start back down to Alpligen.

Last time when I was in this area, which was 2004, I walked up from Wengeralp up to Kleine Scheidegg. The views were tremendous. Then I walked up to the Glacier station from Kleine Schidegg. The walk and the views under the Eiger Glacier and surrounds are absolutely magnificent. Then I walked down to Alpligen. This is also a hike that you see the guided hiking tours. This is a hot spot with the guided hiking tour groups. I have always done these hikes alone. I prefer the uphill, but downhill is probably the easiest way to take one heck of an adventure.

Someone mentioned the Mannlichen to Kleine Scheidegg walk. Fabulous and very easy walk. This is considered to be a walk the entire family can do and the views are just tremendous. Grindlewald on one side, Wengen and the Lauterbrunnen valley on the other side. Then the Eiger and Jungfrau open up right before your very eyes as you make that home stretch.. Then once in Kleine Scheidegg, sample some of the goulash soup or open oven pizza if it is open. And if you're up to some more walking, walk back down to the Wengeralp train station. The views of the Jungfrau and company will be on your left.

I always suggest to those who are new to this area, to get one of those free maps that the tourist office or i center (located at the Grindlwald train station) offers for free. You can get a good idea of what options are available. The area is very tourist friendly and very easy to move about.

Just a few of my favorite hikes.

Old Apr 21st, 2006, 07:19 AM

Hey gang. I'll be heading to Wengen in a little over 3 weeks so I'm copying this thread to take along for part of my "hiking must-do" list. I've already copyied several other threads and have gotten 2 of the area hiking books mentioned by other Fodorites.

Budman, any idea what day you're going to "cruise" through Wengen?

I cannt WAIT to get the heck out of Dodge and away from the nitwits here at the office!!! Why do they seem to be more annoying as your vacation draws closer and closer!!
Old Apr 21st, 2006, 07:22 AM
jefftkeller

That early in the summer you should be prepared for some snow at the upper elevations. When we were there at that time some of the trails were still closed. That said, the wildflowers were stunning and on the walk down to Grindlewald from Kleine Scheidegg we learned that "coo coo" birds are not just something you find in clocks.

Old Apr 21st, 2006, 07:28 AM

To be honest, I'd LOVE to see snow! We get so little, if any, here in Atlanta that it's a treat to see it!! As far as I'm concerned, seeing the Alps without snow would be a crime!
Old Apr 21st, 2006, 07:52 AM

csroe, if you're staying in Wengen in May, I'm not sure if that Wengeralp to Kleine Scheidegg hike is open. The earliest I have ever been to this area was mid August.

There might be some snow on some of the highest trail areas n May.

Some friends I met years ago on the old AOL travel forums, who did travel in June, told me that the trails were usually open by June.

Anyway, if you can do it and weather is ok, try that Wegeralps to Kleine Scheidegg hike.

I stayed in Wenegn in September 2001. That particular September, the area got a decent snowfall.

Wengen got mostly rain, but as I looked across the valley over to the Murren and Grutschalp area, I noticed they received a pretty decent snowfall.

Kleine Scheidegg had about 8-10 inches of snow.

This was mid September! I remember seeing people walking down in the snow from Kleine Scheidegg to Wengenalps.

Trail was safe, but very slippery.

Anyway, hope the higher areas have plenty of snow for the visual aspects, but the trails are open.
Old Apr 21st, 2006, 08:29 AM

Another nearly-level but spectacular walk is the Pfingstegg to Stieregg trail (from the top of the Pfingstegg chairleft) out to an incredible view of the glacier. You can get details on many of the hikes (and photos) here:

http://www.walkingswitzerland.com/walks/
Old Apr 21st, 2006, 08:40 AM

enzian, WOW, thanks for the link. Somehow I've missed that one!!
Old Apr 21st, 2006, 08:59 AM

I took that Pfingstegg to Stieregg trail in 2003. Nice hike. Great view

In 2004, I took the easier trail going in the other direction. That ended up at the hotel along the road where a cool classic auto show was going on that day.
Old Apr 21st, 2006, 09:05 AM

You are most welcome. I hope you enjoy your trip---I love hiking in that area, including all the hikes mentioned here. Presently planning our 4th trip there---for next year, not this.

I probably should warn you that the Pfingstegg to Stieregg trail, while wide and well-graded, drops off on one side. I am a strong hiker, but have trouble with exposed areas. I had to hug the "uphill" slope side, while little kids went happily skipping past me like mountain goats, oblivious to the drop-off a few feet away.

If you happen to have a rainy day, consider the Gletscherschlucht hike---up the gorge below the glacier on an engineered trail of tunnels and bridges. There is a fee, and it can be crowded, but these "Klamm" hikes are very dramatic (I haven't actually done this one, but have done others like it).
Old Apr 21st, 2006, 09:17 AM

I'll second the Bachalpsee trail mentioned previously by my better half, and I'll add the incredibly easy, short and scenic route between Grutschalp and Murren.

The view looks like this:
http://image12.webshots.com/13/2/92/...9YHcHHY_fs.jpg
Old Apr 21st, 2006, 01:42 PM

Having spent 7 summers in the Grindelwald - Lauterbrunnen area, I have taken most of the good hikes, but there are so many that only a dedicated hiker could do them all.

I will list in no particula order my favorites. There is a lot of overlap with pervious lists.

1. First to the top of the Faulhorn.
From Grindelwald, ride the Gondola to First and then walk toward the Bachsee, skirt the lake on the east side, and continue uphill toward the notch.
After making the ascent north of the lake, you should see the hotel sitting on the top. Mid June may be too early for this hike given the snow cover. You will slush through a few snow patches, but with hiking poles this should be no barrier. Just be careful coming down.

2. Grindelwald to Pfingstegg to Stieregg. This hike was not to me anything remarkable until I got to the restaurant, which I am told is now gone.
The trail is heavily traveled and while you overlook the glacier well below you, I saw nothing to the trail that caused any concern, assuming of course you were not intoxicated.

Once there, the view of the inner mountain world is tremendous. You can continue on beyond the site of the restaurant if crossing a gully while hanging onto a cable does not bother you. I don't think you want to ascend the cliffs of the Rots Gufer,however, because they are are a formidable challenge.

3. Schnigge Platte toward the Faulhorn.
This one is reached from Wilderswil, just outside of Interlaken Ost, via the mountain train. The route up is in the trees, and once on top the views are highly similar to those available if you tackle the Faulhorn trail. The rail station on top is very crowded on sunny weekends and descending can take a while because the train service cannot keep up with the demand around 5 pm.

4. First to Grosse Scheidegg. This hike is relatively flat as it crosses the meadows. There are glorious views south to the main range of the Berner Oberland. Once you reach the restaurant at Grosse Scheidegg, you have found a good place for lunch. You can take the post bus back to Grindelwald.

5. The Eiger trail between Alpiglenn and Eigergletscher. The Alpiglenn station can be reached by mountain train from Grindelwald. The Eigergletscher station, the up hill terminus of the trail, can be reached from Kleine Scheidegg, which can be reached either from Wengen or Grindelwald.

Whether or not you want to hike up or down depends on several factors. The trail in places is steep, and the surface in places is very gritty with small rocks. The chances of slipping are greater going down.

The trail itself leads to some great views of the sheer face of the north wal of the Eiger. Up close, you get a first hand look at just how formidable it is to climb.

6. The Kilchbalm. This trail begins in Gimmelwald and leads along a steep-sided valley deep into a glacial cirque. The glacier is long gone, but the trail ends in a bowl nestled among tower cliffs from which water streams in profusion. The stream itself is good for watering cattle and the flat surface of the old glacial bowl are good for grazing.

The place is great if you want to take your lunch and sit by the stream, stare up at the water streaming off of the cliffs, and commune with the cows - if they are there. Alternatively, you can look east directly at the Jungfrau, which is a beautiful mountain.

If you don't bother the cows, they most assuredly will not bother your. Just step around them if they are lying in the trail, but watch your step.

7. Männlichen to Kleine Scheidegg.
You can take the gondola up to the ridge crest from Grindwald Grund. The ascent from that side is gentle, or you can ascend from Wengen via a Luftseilbahn, a cabin dangling from a cable, which rises steeply from Wengen.

The walk down is via well defined trails and is relatively gentle. You have the option to continue the walk downhill all the way to Wengen past alpine farms.

We once watched a well trained dog put a fairly large herd of cattle in the barn for milking. The farmer just stood there and made noises while the dog did all the work. One old bossy and the dog evidently had a long standing feud. The cow would try to hook the dog with her horns, but the dog just danced out the way and retailiated by nipping the cow on the heels.

7. Jungfraujoch Sphinx building out to the Mönchjochhütte - a hikers shelter.
The trail is over a groomed snow track along the top of the glacier. It is relatively flat and in the shelter of the Jungfrau ridge. As you approach the shelter, you can walk from behind the shelter of the ridge and feel the full force of the wind from the south.

Don't let the term "hütte" fool you; this one is a 3 story building anchored to the cliff face with huge steel braces and pilings.

The view from the exposed end of the trail is awesome. The walk back is splendid too because you can see well down the valley. The pathway should be ready for traffic in mid June because the shelter building opens much sooner than that.

8. Grutschalp to Mürren This one is a short but beautiful walk. The problem this summer is that the old elevator on wheels that run up and down the side of the cliff between Grutschalp and Lauterbrunnen will soon be history.
It is being dismantled so that it can be replaced with a higher capacith aerial cable way between the two points.

The transporation load between the Lauterbrunnene Valley and Mürren will be via the Schilthornbahn from the valley station near Stechelberg. I am not sure how crowded the facility will be. I know that in years past, I have ridden up and down that way under crowded conditions. Given that the old tram line between Lauterbrunnen and Grutschalp will soon be out of service, the number of people wanting to go up will be higher than normal.

9. Stechelberg - Oberhornsee.
This route does not get much mention on this forum. I think it is because it is unknown. The route is relatively steep, but it leads up toward the Jungfrau and the Breithorn. The views do not become dramatic until you break out of the trees after about an hour to 90 minutes of huffing and puffing.

10. Lauterbrunnen to Trommelbach Falls. This is an easy walk along the flat floor of the valley. I suggest walking past Staubbach Falls, which cascade down the face of the cliff on the western side, and continue along a paved farm road to a point where the trail turns east toward the creek.

The cascades of the falls are well recessed into the rock face of the cliff. The area is lighted and served by an elevator. After viewing the falls, you can walk back the way you came or take the post bus back to Lauterbrunnen.
11. Grimsel Pass to any one eof severa places.

There is a hotel near the summit of the Grimsel Pass with parking. There is a trail that leads along a glacier toward some awesome views.

If you have a car, you can drive on up to the top of the pass and take off on any one of several trails that lead across snow banks to expansive views of the valleys below.
We were there last summer and walked along in snow in shorts. It was a strange sensation: walking on snow and perspiring at the same time. One handsome Bernese Mountain dog knew what to do. He bounded out his car, jumped into the snow and gave a display of wallowing happily. He was one eager dog, ready to use those big paws of his and go bounding over the snow slopes.

Let me add that hiking in that region is not limited to just the Grindelwald - Lauterbrunnen area.

The area around Kandersteg has opportunities, too. Also there is the trail from Mürren to the Sefinenfurka.
The "furka" is a pass over the ridge to Blumlisalp that can lead in turn to the Höhturli or down to Griesalp.

From Griesalp, you can take the post bus out. We drove to Kiental, parked, and took the post bus up the steep roads to Griesalp and walked along the stream.
The waterfalls along that route are awesome. The drawback is the steepness of the roads. I don't usually back off from mountain roads, but this one tilts upwards at 27% which is a mite steep.

Even so, there is a considerable construction going on at Griesalp and concrete mixing trucks of a slightly diminutive size were plying the road up and down.

I had been led to believe that the road from Kiental to Griesalp was restricted. If it was, there was nothing in the form of a barrier or a person to limit travel. Anyone who wanted to could drive up to Griesalp and beyond.

Perhaps the construction had something to do with the lack of controls on the road.

There are others in the area. But these will fill up most any 10 to 14 day excursion to the area because there are other destinations - like the Sustern Pass and the Museum of Swiss Life at Ballenberg.
Old Apr 21st, 2006, 02:30 PM

Great list, bob_brown---thank you! I had not heard of the Kilchbalm hike before---we'll have to try that one next time.
Old Apr 22nd, 2006, 12:09 PM
Original Poster

I hadn't checked my post since Friday and was shocked to see all the responses. Thanks so much to everyone for the wonderful lists and websites!

Thanks Swandav fot explaining how to get the English version--I am a little slow. Ms. Go--what beautiful pictures. I hope we have weather like that. Sunstar and Bob Brown--thank you so much for the detailed lists!!

Now another question for everyone. My husband and I were in this area 20 years ago, and I could swear we took an open chairlift from Grindelwald to First. I know it is now a cable car. Will someone please tell me I'm not crazy?
Old Apr 22nd, 2006, 12:43 PM

The gondola from Grindelwald to First is a succession of small enclosed cabins that in a squeeze might hold 6 people.
Four normal sized people can fit fairly well. Two can do so with room to spare.

The line starts about a 3/4 of a mile east of the train station as you walk along the main street. In German it is referred to as die Gondelbahn.

The cable line rises in 3 stages, but the engineering is such that passengers need not change cars.

You are correct in thinking it was a chairlift type of transport. I am not sure when the new line first opened; I rode it for the first time in September of 1998.

It is still as spectacular as it ever was with the Eiger dominating the initial views.

Although I have taken it several times, I never cease to be thrilled by it.
I must admit that after the 5th time, I was becoming a little less pumped up, but, still, that view is awesome.

Old Apr 22nd, 2006, 01:32 PM

Digby, you're welcome.

Be sure to get those free maps. They usually have some descriptions of several hikes in the Grindlewald area.

I second or third the suggestion on that the First station to Bachalpsee walk. Nice walk. I always do this walk when I visit the Grindlewald area. Be sure to allow yourself enough time for frequent rest and photo stops.

Back to the Eiger hike,do not be intimidated by the North face Eiger hike. Not saying that you might be, but many people are. It is challenging in spots, but I have seen many persons from many age groups do this hike. I also have to agree going up is the better option, at least for me anyway. Just be sure to start early and bring some good hiking shoes or boots. You will certainly need good shoes for that Eiger walk. Choose a day where there is an abundance of warm sunshine.

Have fun and good luck with the weather!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -