Reload this Page >

Greyhound racing in Cotswolds?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24th, 2002, 05:04 PM
Kathy

One of our fondest memories from our trip to southern England 25 years ago was stumbling upon a community race track where the locals met to race their greyhounds. Does anyone know of any such places in the Cotswolds?

Old Jul 24th, 2002, 05:42 PM
janis

the website for greyhound racing in the UK is at www.thedogs.co.uk/ it has a LOT of useful information.<BR><BR>The closest tracks to the Cotswolds are Oxford, Swindon and Reading.

Old Jul 25th, 2002, 11:09 AM
Kathy

Janis:<BR>Yikes! This site looks really official. . . I'll certainly have a look, but I was hoping we might find a small track with a less formal format. Maybe we were just lucky on our last trip. Anyway, thanks for your help.

Old Jul 25th, 2002, 01:56 PM
janis

Have a look - some of those tracks are quite small.

Old Jul 26th, 2002, 04:42 AM
PatrickW

There's a whole branch of 'unofficial' greyhound racing known, I believe, as 'flapping'. What you found may have been entirely respectable and community fun, but in some I wouldn't ask too many questions. And to be a real party-pooper, the dogs themselves can get a raw deal when they're of no further use even to people in the big official circuits/