Reload this Page >

Stonehedge and other monoliths

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24th, 2002, 11:47 PM
madison

I am going to be in London for 3 days and must do Stonehedge but I also heard of its twin somewhere in England that is much more mystical and accessable than Stonehedge. What is the best way to get there.<BR>Thanks, Madison

Old Jul 25th, 2002, 12:23 AM
sheila

I am glad someone has finally asked this question..I have been wondering the same.<BR>Sheila

Old Jul 25th, 2002, 01:00 AM
Maggie

Hello Madison,<BR>You are probably thinking of Avebury in Wiltshire, just up the road from Stonehenge.<BR>If you do a Google search on Avebury I'm sure you'll find lots of information.<BR>In my opinion, Avebury is much better than Stonehenge, you can walk amongst the stones and there is a very interesting museum there in the Great Barn.<BR>Hope you enjoy your trip.<BR>Regards<BR>Maggie

Old Jul 25th, 2002, 01:28 AM
david west

There are many ,many stone circles, megaliths, fogus and so on in Britain. They're a bit of a hobby of mine<BR><BR>THis is the best website I know listing them (be warned it does have a bit of a hippy come new age traveller come soapdodger angle to it but it is exhaustive)<BR><BR>Incidentally it's run by Julian Cope who used to be the lead singer in the teardrop explodes and was Courtney Love's first love (which explains a lot all round)<BR><BR>http://www.themodernantiquarian.com/home.php<BR><BR>

Old Jul 25th, 2002, 03:10 AM
Suzy

Avebury is fascinating, but don't misunderstand, it certainly isn't a "twin" of Stonehenge. The diameter of the circle is much larger, the stones are much smaller, and much of it has been reconstructed, since the local folk had buried many of the stones in a religious frenzy or had used them in constructing local buildings. <BR><BR>There are two museums on site, one shows a fascinating film of the rescue and reconstruction of the circle before it disappeared altogether.<BR><BR>You can get to Stonenehnge by taking a train to Salisbury (which itself is worth a look) and then a bus. Or you can take a package tour. Astral Travels runs a couple that include Stonehenge, including one that visits Avebury and other Neolithic sites, and crop circles, and then goes to Stonehenge right after its official closing, and the group is allowed to go inside hte circle, which normally is roped off.