Gregorian Chants and Concerts in Paris

Oct 28th, 2002, 03:41 PM
Taylor

Gregorian Chants and Concerts in Paris

I am going to Paris over the New Years Holiday. When I did a search on Saint Chappelle I noticed others give the site of ampconcerts.com for concerts.

I had a difficult time understanding the site with its limited English. Asking me if I wanted to book I went ahead and enter some info. without a credit card# thinking I could backout it confused. Next thing I know the computer screen returns with MERCI!

I'll be there from Dec. 27 to Jan 1 and I'm hoping I understood enough to get the one I wanted. I'd like a concert for classical music and one for gregorian chant.

I signed up for one I believe is on Dec. 28 at 9 pm (CHant) - anyone know if I'm reading this correctly? Is there a classical concert during that time? I think I can understand it enough but I just want to make sure I'm not making a big mistake.

Asked for 25, 20, 15 Euros - are there seat differences?

thanks

Oct 28th, 2002, 04:14 PM
Mara

Taylor - To my also limited French, it apppears that concert is at a church at Versailles and it is Christmas chants possibly songs. I would suggest that you visit the Paris tourist website at paris-touristoffice.com. There is a British flag to click for English - you can choose events for the dates of your visit - by category or all. Then you can see what is available. I did this before I went and it was very helpful. You can also get Pariscope when you arrive - it is a weekly listing of all Parisian events - I found many free church concerts on the Sunday I was there. I squeezed two in - one at Notre Dame. Have a wonderful trip!!!

Oct 28th, 2002, 05:07 PM
Taylor

Thanks Mara!

Oct 28th, 2002, 08:18 PM
Christina

Mara is right -- that particular concert is at a church in Versailles, not Paris. That web site lists the venue next to the date, I believe. Ampconcerts is a booking company for a particular musical group that often does some concerts at Ste Chapelle, but they play other places and many other groups play at Ste Chapelle, also (although they do play there quite a bit). That concert is Ave Maria and Christmas chants (chants de Noel), which may be Gregorian chants but are likely later period French Christmas carols (the word "chant" is often used for Christmas carols, although sometimes "chanson" for song is also). I suspect if it were Gregorian Christmas chants, it probably would have said so, specifically.

It is common for there to be a variety of pricing for seats in churches, the higher prices for the front seats with better views.

The advice to look at concerts during your time period on the Paris TO web site is a good one.

Oct 29th, 2002, 02:58 AM
Taylor

Thanks Mara and Christina!

Search this Thread