Greek weather and packing light

Old Aug 30th, 2008, 03:54 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Greek weather and packing light

I am determined to pack light for a trip to Greece Sept. 23 to Oct. 4. Will be in Crete for 6 nights, Oia for 2, and Athens for 2. We are casual people and will not be dining in 4 star establishments but want to look nice. My question is how warm will it be? Will I likely be wearing shorts or cropped pants and a tank top during the day to sightsee? Will I need more than a lightweight cotton cardigan with 3/4 sleeves at night? (I will also need this on the plane.) Please tell me I don't have to pack a raincoat or umbrella! Will one pair of nice black pants or a knit black simple dress get me into most restaurants for dinner?

Thanks! Shopping Labor Day sales this weekend!

Old Aug 30th, 2008, 08:19 AM

Unless you are a teenager, you probably will not be wearing shorts... and you won't be wearing tank top at end of september. As tops, I would take nice knit Ts and polos ... ones that would go with a longish skirt -- that would be all you'd need for most dining, in casual tavernas.

I would take one pair of cropped pants, and that pair of black pants. I suggest you take either 2 cardigans or one plus a v. lightweight windbreaker (but a classic waist-length khaki or navy one, not those bright pink or acqua horrors!). This is mainly for variety because u will need something over your tee every eve after sundown.

If one of you in the party will take a small folding umbrella, it can act as a "magic amulet" to insure that you have no daytime rainfall.

BTW, are u planning beach time in Crete? Think about "water-shoes" -- some of the best beaches are very pebbly & walking in is ouch-ouch. PS: make sure your sandals are sturdy. Flip-flops NG for all-day walking.
Old Aug 30th, 2008, 08:47 AM
Original Poster

Wow, I'm surprised at your recommendations. Various sources are saying high's of 78 and lows of 65 at that time of year both in Athens and on the islands. I'm not a teen although I would definitely wear shorts and a tank top hiking the gorge or any other active daytime activities (but would stick to cropped pants in Athens). I already have heard about the beaches and will back my Teva's. I will also re-think my packing strategy!

Maybe I'm just from a cooler climate where 78 sounds like summer! Thanks again!
Old Aug 30th, 2008, 10:14 AM

I surprised at that answer too, I 've been to Greece late sept to first week in October and weather was great, 2 weeks, sun and sand and nightclubs( I was young) .
I suppose anything can happen, but its still "summer" to me until mid october, especially if one goes south to islands rather then north ion mainland.
Old Aug 30th, 2008, 10:30 AM

I mainly suggested the crop pants because it looks as if you are only planning to take 3 "bottoms." I would have suggested 2 crop pants and one long pants for your ration of 3 -- mainly because you would not wear shorts in Athens, and not in the cities of Chania and Iraklion in Crete, so the shorts have more limited use.

If you are going to walk a gorge, you will be startng at 8 am, when it is much cooler. The 78F temp really refers to mid-day as the "high" and it is the average for the MONTH of Sept. The first 2 weeks are much warmer than the very last week. But hey! bring the shorts.
Old Aug 30th, 2008, 11:42 AM

Rather than talking about average temperatures, which don't tell you very much, here is the actual weather over the last eleven years for the Sep 23-Oct 4 period in Heraklion (scroll to the bottom of the page): http://tinyurl.com/Trip-Planner

Most restaurants on the islands have outdoor tables, and people don't move inside until it gets very cool. A cardigan will be all you need most evenings, but if it is breezy you will thankful for a windproof jacket.

Dress on the islands is casual. You will need shorts and other summerwear for the day. If you wish to pack light, bring items that can be washed in your room and hung out to dry. There will probably be a clothesline on the balcony of your room or elsewhere in the hotel. Clothes dry quickly in the Greek sun.
Old Aug 30th, 2008, 12:42 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. I didn't mean to say that I would specifically only have those 'bottoms' - I don't really know until I do a trial packing effort. I also used weather.com for high's and lows for each day predicted for those dates, and not monthly averages. But I appreciate the link from Heimdall - wunderground is my usual source for local weather and I don't know why I didn't start there. I still think I may be wearing a nice pair of pleated, long-ish shorts to tour Knossos on a hot day; but then I'll just be labeled an American tourist! We'll be with a bunch of Flemmish Belgians anyway, so who will know?
Old Aug 30th, 2008, 01:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
We were in Crete and Hydra last year in early October and during the day, wore shorts/t-shirt and summer skirt/sleeveless top. It was sunny and warm every day but cooler as the sun went down.

In the evening we would add a light top such as a cardigan. Eating outside was very casual, you can pretty much wear what you like.

We had no rain and no cold weather but may have been lucky.

Kay
Old Aug 31st, 2008, 08:37 AM

We have had quite a few holidays in different parts of Greece (mainland and various islands from Crete to Zaakynthos)in late September, early October and we are doing the same this year (21st Sep to 5th Oct). We are also casual (and certainly not teens!) and do a combination of sight-seeing, walking with the odd hour or two on the beach to relax. Yes, I wear shorts for sightseeing and walking, as do plenty of others - mine are nearer knee length these days. I take a combination of short sleeve and sleeveless t-shirts and a light jacket or cardigan for the evenings. I take a light skirt for either evenings or visiting monasteries and some lightweight long trousers for sitting out in the evening.

We have generally had temperatures mid to late 20s centigrade in the day and warm enough to eat outside, often without a jacket in the evenings. We have had occasionaly had no more than half a day's rain, sometimes a brief thunderstorm for which I pack a lightweight folding umbrella.
Old Aug 31st, 2008, 12:40 PM

I would definitely take a couple pair of shorts (knee length) and a couple pair of capri pants. The one cardigan as you mentioned worn on the plane. Plus tank tops, tshirts, etc. I would go with the nice pants for evenings and dinners out (but then I never wear a dress). Plus pants instead of skirts or dress makes shoes easier.