Meteora Dress Code

Search

Meteora Dress Code

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3rd, 2007, 09:23 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Meteora Dress Code

I'm going to be visiting Meteora and need some clarification on the dress code. One guidebook says women must wear long skirts and long-sleeved tops, the other just says "modest dress required." Which is more accurate? Are pants truly not allowed for women? Thanks for your help!
Old Sep 3rd, 2007, 01:58 PM

I visited Meteora a few weeks ago and I did see one woman wearing pants and she had to wear one of the skirts that the monastery provides, over her pants.
Old Sep 3rd, 2007, 02:49 PM

You will need to wear a skirt, I bought one in Kalambaka but had I known the skirts they provide would have been fine, just a simple wrap around skirt easy to wear over slacks which I would have been more comfortable in.
Old Sep 3rd, 2007, 03:32 PM

We went to Greece in March of 2006 and visited Meteora. We brought and wore our own skirts, but the "wraps" were available. Not sure how often they are washed, though. It was cool enough that we wore long sleeves and light jackets, in late March, but I never saw that long sleeves were required. I just checked my photo of the sign with dress code, and it says "no sleeveless" for women, in addition to no pantaloons or shorts.
In my opinion, Meteora was one of the absolute places to see, along with ancient Corinth and Palamidi Castle. The usual things in Athens were wonderful, but try to see more than Athens if you can. Do be warned there there are many, many steps up and down at Meteora, steep and slippery when wet.
Old Sep 4th, 2007, 11:06 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for the information! I didn't know they provided skirts... at least now I know I won't be barred from entering if I don't bring my own!
Old Sep 5th, 2007, 08:28 AM

2greeceigo wear what makes you comfortable. Both times that i've been there i wore trousers and put this awful skirt over my jeans!
Old Sep 6th, 2007, 03:57 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for the helpful advice! I don't actually own a long skirt and it seemed like sort of a waste of money and luggage space to buy one just for one day of my trip. I'll probably just borrow one of theirs and make the best of it! Thanks!