Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Dress code for Greece - islands, and mainland

Sep 3rd, 2007, 04:25 PM
Original Poster

Hi, husband and I are off to Greece Sept 21 and I haven't been for over 20 years, so wondering about the general dress code. Any general tips for casual lunches at tavernas, general sight seeing in Athens, and is it more casual on the islands? Thanks for any advice. -- Sharon
Sep 3rd, 2007, 04:40 PM

There is no dress code--anywhere. You set your own style no matter where you are in the world! Unless you will be there on business or going to a special even, there is just nothing to worry about. You are a tourist, so dress the way that will be comfortable for long days of walking and sightseeing. No one will pay any attention to how you dress, except the people you are traveling with. YOu will see every style of dress imaginable.
Sep 3rd, 2007, 05:13 PM

There is no dress code on the islands. Wear what you want. I wouldn't look like a slob at any of the chic places in Kolonaki (Athens), though.

I saw a couple (they were probably American because HE wore a Mets cap) leaving the Grande Bretagne who looked like they were ready to go clean out the garage.
Sep 3rd, 2007, 07:34 PM

martygnc, there are dress codes somewhere in the world, if you are a woman, at least. ever heard of Saudi Arabia
Sep 4th, 2007, 07:23 AM

The only dress "code" you would need to worry about would be if you want to go into a church or visit a monastery. For men and women, knees must be covered (I think men cannot wear shorts) and your shoulders must be covered.

We were there in May for our honeymoon and my husband missed out on a few churches when we were wandering around because he was wearing shorts. We also visited some monasteries and I had to wear a skirt. If a woman wasn't wearing a skirt, they gave her a sarong to wear.
Sep 4th, 2007, 02:46 PM

Christina, her question was about a general dress code, in reference to casual lunches and general sights seeing. I took that to mean that she understood the religious ones. Surely, you read my reference to style. Please don't feel the need to correct the obvious, at least no in my posts.