Greek Islands- Santorini and Mykonos

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16th, 2003, 11:46 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My boyfriend and I are in our late 20's and planning on traveling to Santorini and Mykonos in August '03. We are looking to stay in moderate rooms but location is important too. Does anyone have any recommendations for two NYers looking for romantic stay in Santorini and a fun time in Mykonos on a limited budget? Thanks
Old Jun 17th, 2003, 05:20 AM

Hotels on the cliffside in Thira are more expensive. One that is in town but without the cliff view that is modern with swimming pool is New Haroula. It is moderately priced and very nice. The gardens in the centre court are well maintained. tel. (0286)24226 fax0286)25481.
For budget accomodations in Thira town. No swimming pool but modern and good location you could try Pension Summertime tel. (0286) 22161, 24313. Upper rooms are better. Some with TV.

In Mykonos town Hotel Carbonaki.
23, Panachrantou str. tel (0289)24124, 27124, 22461 fax: (0289)24102. They own several locations and probably can accomodate a variety of budgets. They have studios with cooking facilities. The main hotel is very nice with small swimming pool. www.carbonaki.gr
Old Jun 17th, 2003, 05:58 AM
AllyPally

Hi Greta! I'm a huge fan of Santorini -I have booked to stay in Esperas Hotel in August (hey, we could have a drink!). My Aussie boyfriend and I are also looking for a romantic stay - he has never been, this will be my 3rd visit. I can assure you that this is a place you will NEVER forget. I have never stayed in Mykonos before so unfortunately cannot help.

Read this link from UK Condé Nast Traveller if you need some help: http://www.cntraveller.co.uk/Destina...i/default.html

I know you are on a budget but, in my opinion, the beauty of Greece is it's simplicity. I have stayed in the most basic of accomodation before and never had a bad time. I don't feel you need to spend a lot of money as the scenery can be enjoyed if you staying in a campsite! Also, it's so damn hot that you will spend most of the time in the water!

Why have I spent so much money on Esperas?? I don't know - guess i just wanted a treat!

Old Jun 17th, 2003, 01:54 PM

I can highly recommend two great places: both are relatively inexpensive and both are on the caldera. In Fira, try Hotel Keti - we stayed there the end of May for 50 euros a double - breathtaking views and a steal for the price. In Oia - although we stayed at Esperas (a splurge well worth it!) - friends stayed at Thea Studios. Again, it was right on the caldera and they paid 40 euros a double. I saw their rooms and they were great - the view was even better. For the price, these places are both steals.
Old Jun 17th, 2003, 01:59 PM

Check out Aethrio Hotel in Oia - not on the list as some others, but good value and good location.
Old Jun 18th, 2003, 04:41 AM

I second Kookforkatz'recommendation for Hotel Keti in Santorini - but keep in mind there is no pool and you may want one in August. A few doors down is Scirocco Apartments (www.scirocco.gr)with a pool - a bit more expensive but for 90 euro still a bargain on the caldera. Enjoy!!!
Old Jun 18th, 2003, 11:43 AM

I am actually leaving for Greece on Friday. Yippee!! I too am in my late 20's and am going on the trip with my 21 year old sister (not exactly a romantic trip!). But, we have definitely been on a budget while planning the trip.

We will be in Santorini 2 nights and are staying at the Neoklassiko Koukouli (www.neoklassiko.gr/). We are paying about 87 euro per night (not including breakfast). We made reservations through Esther at Dolphin-Hellas Travel (www.dolphin-hellas.gr/). She has been very helpful in booking hotels, ferries, tours, etc.

I will be sure to report back after our trip. Good luck with your planning!

Jennifer
Old Jun 19th, 2003, 09:39 AM
SRC51102

I went to both Santorini and Mykonos in '97 (when I was 26). We loved our accomodations. Definitely check out Hotel Panorama in Santorini. If I recall, the price was not too bad, and you have a tiny balcony with a great view of the caldera. We watched the sunset every night while we sipped wine. It was heavenly. The rooms also had tiny fridges to keep olives and cheese for snakcs. In Mykonos, if you can splurge a little, do so at Cavoo Tagoo. The rooms are actually built into the cliffs and the location is excellent. Walking distance to the town, etc. Plus a salt water pool which you will never forget.

Wherever you stay you won't go wrong, the islands are amazing! Enjoy your trip.