Search

Greek Islands in July

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7th, 2003, 03:17 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Greek Islands in July

Folks,
I'm going to the Greek Islands(s) in July.
Right now, I'm booked for 5 nites in Santorini. I'm wondering if I'd be remiss should I not add a second island and do maybe, 4 nites Sant., 2 nites somewhere else.
We're a family of three so extensive travel between islands (or costly air travel) is not logical for us-ie. Santorini to Lesbos (too far). Any thoughts? Thanks.
Old Jun 7th, 2003, 03:45 AM

4 nights in Santorini might be too much, and I was happy we had more time on another island. 3 nights in Santorini, 3 nights Paros -- also in Cyclades, so not too far. Two very different islands. Paros was our favorite. Santorini doesn't have sandy beaches -- beaches on Paros are amazing. Also the Octopus capital of the world -- ah, the grilled octopus! We took the hydrofoil, and it was perfect.
Old Jun 7th, 2003, 03:50 AM
Original Poster

BarbaraF,
Thanks. Thats what I'm curious about-1) is a close island like Paros or Naxos reaaly fun, too; and 2) Is 5 nites on Santorini too much. Seems that way. I've read that before. Got a good hotel in Paros? Need a car?
Merci,
Mark
Old Jun 7th, 2003, 03:56 AM

I also think that three nights on Santorini is enough and it would be so nice to experieince another island. But Santorini does have sandy beaches. On the flat side of the island are the black sand beaches. Some of the sand is more coarse, but some is quite fine. Also wear water shoes as the sand gets very hot.
Old Jun 7th, 2003, 04:11 AM

Mark, Paros was amazing (in my opinion, anyway). I liked it more than Santorini, but it depends what you are looking for. The beaches were incredible. We rented a car, and travelled all over the island. To go around the island you definitely need a car (again, in my opinion). We stayed at the Astir of Paros (not cheap), it had a really lovely shallow beach, and you could wade through the water to a local family restaurant (much cheaper food!). In July it is very hot, so you absolutely need to stay somewhere with air conditioning, so you don't really have the option of staying in a less expensive place (w/o ac) unless you want a few sleepless nights -- again, just my opinion.

We took an afternoon "sail" to Naxos. A nightmare because water was incredibly choppy, so that day has no good memories (husband dreadfully seasick). Search Paros and Naxos, and you'll get many positive comments I think. We also went to Mykonos, also in the Cyclades, by hydrofoil, but then flew back to Athens for flight to US. Didn't like Mykonos nearly as much as Santorini or Paros, but others on this site have loved it. Mid July was fine -- but we noticed a significant increase in population on the islands beginning August 1. I think you will have a wonderful time. Greece was my favorite vacation.
Old Jun 7th, 2003, 10:47 AM

I have been to Paros many times and like it. Stay in Naousa. If you take the boat it will land in the main city...Parokia. Naousa is smaller and nice. We stayed at a place walking distance to town...which is nice.
http://www.parosweb.gr/manis/index.htm It is called Hotel Manis. It was fairly reasonable. It is nice to have a car to see the island. The nicer beaches you can reach by car or if you go into Naousa, you can take a small ferry across the bay(not too far a trip). Kolimbithres beach was one of our favorites. If you stay within walking distance to the town you don't really need a car though.