naxos, paros, santorini, or hydra?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13th, 2005, 06:52 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I realize this question has been asked in many different ways here, but I'm having trouble coming to any decisions.
We probably have about 10-12 days in Greece. A few days in Athens. Then I thought Naxos and Paros to simplify moving around and because we were interested in beaches with a teenager. But I read that Santorini is only 45 minutes away from Naxos. Is that true? Should we do Naxos and Santorini instead? Santorini sounds so crowded in July, but the general consensus seems to be it is a must-see, even if it is mobbed.
When we are in Athens should we try for a day trip to Hydra? Or skip all these other ideas and do Hydra and Naxos to have different types of experiences?
Old Apr 13th, 2005, 08:06 PM

Santorini is about 1.5-2.5 hours from Naxos daily by both Flying Dolphin and car ferry. Yes, it will be very busy in July but it's still a wonderful island, the views of the caldera are spectacular. The beaches there are not sand but rock and gravel, but I've enjoyed myself on them nonetheless. The water is nice and clear, and very warm in July.

Travelling by ferry in July can get hectic, but it's part of the fun. Approaching Santorini from Naxos by ferry is a sight you'll remember for a long time.

In July it really doesn't matter which islands you choose, they're all going to be crowded. The good thing is that the Greek Islands are wonderful. You'll have a great adventure no matteer which ones you visit.
Old Apr 13th, 2005, 08:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Santorini is so spectacular it's a place you will never forget. Naxos is lovely too but not in the same league. One thought would be to fly to Mykonos (which we thought was so picturesque) from Athens then catch a hydrofoil or ferry to Santorini then fly back to Athens. You could have a couple of days on each island. The flights only take about 30 mins. The approach to Santorini by water is wonderful.
Kay
Old Apr 13th, 2005, 11:46 PM

I would definitely NOT skip Santorini for Naxos!
Personally i would go to Santorini for the caldera and the spectacular view, Paros for the beaches, Mykonos for the picturesque town and beaches and Hydra ...just because it's lovely for 1-2 days!
(As you can see Naxos isn't my favourite island

And yes, from Athens you should do a daytrip to Hydra. (or a 2 days...)
Old Apr 14th, 2005, 01:03 AM

I always say that Santorini is one of those places that actually exceed expectations, you have seen all the photos but the reality far exceeds it, not to be missed!
Old Apr 14th, 2005, 03:28 PM

In 10 days you would do well to spend at least two or three days exploring the antiquities in Athens, especially the Plaka and Acropolis areas.
From there, for an island experience we have always chosen to travel to Naxos and then end our trip with Santorini.
Just a thought but Mykinos is very cosmopolitan and may not be suitable for a teenager, and the beaches on Naxos are probably the best in Greece. I have been to Paros twice and couldn't find any beaches that compare with those on Naxos.
For a contrasting island experience you would be hard pressed to beat the Naxos/Santorini combination.
Consider flying back to Athens from Santorini although the overnight ferry can be entertaining and it saves a nights hotel bill.
Old Apr 14th, 2005, 05:24 PM

I'm with stanbr. The Santorini-Naxos pairing is excellent, although Santorini-Paros would also work, though the beaches aren't as good and there are not as many places to explore.

If you had eight days in the islands, consider 2-3 in Santorini and the rest elsewhere. Hydra is pretty and quaint, but its main draw is the proximity to Piraeus.

I like Naxos for three reasons:
1) Great blend of beaches, mountains and other terrain.
2) Its economy is diversified enough that catering to tourists isn't the driving force on the island. It's not all picture postcard, it's real and has some wonderful gems tucked away on hilly mountain roads or quiet bays.
3) The Hora is accessible, fun and manageable -- just large enough to have a great variety of dining spots for adults to linger while giving kids the freedom to safely explore on their own.
Old Apr 14th, 2005, 11:37 PM

Stanbr and repete, do you think i should give a second chance to Naxos? I've been there some years ago but it was in Easter so i didn't have a chance to see the beaches. Maybe you're right, or i have spent so many lovely summers in Paros that it has a special place in my heart.

As a reply to stanbr, Mykonos may be cosmopolitan but it's definitely suitable for a teenager as well!
Old Apr 15th, 2005, 08:04 AM

Christine,
So many little things can shape expectations and perceptions, so it's easy to understand why some folks love a place that others dislike or are neutral about. About all I can relay is what I liked about Naxos.

Mostly, it's a little bit of Greece in miniature. I loved the little road trips into the mountains and the surprises (Kitron!) that the villages in the hills bring. It's got the fabulous beaches, which were the best I've found in Greece. It's not as postcvard perfect as a lot of places, but I enjoyed very much that it's a more economically diverse island -- clearly that's a lot of personal taste.

It's got a main town that manageable to get around in, but still has plenty of places for a great meal. I really enjoyed that while my wife and I lingered over a two-hour meal my 12-year-old and his new Greek buddy could play around the harborfront.

But who knows, had a few things gone differently, I might be in the same boat -- or at least on another boat to a different island.
Old Apr 16th, 2005, 07:15 AM

Cristine
I think you should give Naxos another try.
Repete has really captured the essence of the Naxos experience. This may sound crazy but we feel like we belong there. We have been to Naxos 5 times and every time, on the last day we find something new around a hidden corner that makes us want to come back and explore some more.
For example on our last trip out in the countryside we found a village olive press that had been in operation for over a hundred years. When it closed the villagers turned it into a museum. No charge, no guide, just a piece of history waiting to be experienced.

I see that you were on Naxos at Easter. That is probably a bit early for the good weather and the beaches which are one of the great attractions to Naxos.
I would suggest anytime after mid May could give you a better impression.

We have been to Paros twice as well and we enjoyed it particularly Naousa.
Old Apr 18th, 2005, 12:57 PM
Original Poster

So, sounds like most people think we should do a Naxos/Santorini combo, even though some of the guidebooks say don't even think about Santorini in July. How do three nights each in Santorini and Athens and four nights in Naxos sound? Sequence--Santorini, Naxos, and then Athens before returning home? Are there catamarans to Santorini? If we have an extra night, where should we add it? Thanks--I'm sure I'll have more questions.
Old Apr 18th, 2005, 01:36 PM

There's no passenger-only catamaran from Athen/Piraeus to Santorini, but there is one that travels between Crete, Santorini, Ios, Naxos, Paros and Mykonos.

http://www.greekislands.gr/hfd/

From Athens you can take either a regular car ferry or a catamaran car ferry depending on the day and time of departure.

http://www.gtp.gr/RoutesResults.asp?...GRSKY22,3125,6