Search

Greek Islands - Ferry prices

Search this Thread

Old May 25th, 2009, 04:57 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Greek Islands - Ferry prices

Hi,
Our Greece trip is slowly coming (Sept/09) and I am curious if prices for ferries (I understand the difference between highspeed and regular) drops at all closer to the booking time. I'm seeing a few schedules and posted prices (our ferry itinerary will be from Heraklio - Santorini (Thira) - Naxos - Piraeus. I've approximated the price (was able to input dates and get "prices without booking" seats) to be about 180 Euros total for the trip. I'm curious if this is reliable or not. I'm aware that trying to book a ferry this soon in advance is difficult (not to mention is not part of the relaxed way of Greece travel but though I would throw this out there. I'm very comfortable waiting until we arrive to book our ferries, but was wondering if the prices will be at all different.
Thanks in advance for the advice!
Jenn
Old May 25th, 2009, 05:54 PM

Ferry prices do not change.
Old Aug 17th, 2009, 09:01 PM

I look forward to hearing about your trip as ours will mirror it, in October. How many days will you be spending at each of your stops? I haven't booked any ferry trips yet, but do have hotels.
Old Aug 17th, 2009, 11:34 PM

The Greek government imposes a ceiling on the price of economy class tickets, and some unprofitable routes are subsidised. Without those controls you would pay more.
Old Aug 21st, 2009, 01:05 PM

Hi, Jenn,
I'm curious about your itinerary - where have you decided to go?

I'm probably a year away from my next trip, but am planning a similar trip to you, and am obsessing about it now! I'm planning on Athens - Crete - Santorini - Naxos - Athens.

I KNOW it doesn't matter now, but I really love planning the trip, since the only travel pleasure I'll experience for a while is the vicarious type!

Looking forward to hearing all about your trip!
Paule