Thanksgiving in the South of France

Aug 21st, 2009, 12:58 PM
Original Poster

Thanksgiving in the South of France

We are going to be in the South of France and Monaco from Thanksgiving to Dec. 7. We fly into Nice on Thanksgiving Friday afternoon. On Sunday afternoon, we will join a group of friends in Monaco for the week. The following weekend we will spend just outside of Aix before we fly back to the US out of Nice on Dec. 7.

We’ll be able to do day trips from our base in Monaco, but what shall we do for those first couple days (Fri afternoon to Sunday afternoon) after we arrive in Nice?

--What will the weather be like? Will it be too much to ask to spend time outdoors?
--Should we head off somewhere for a day or two or just park ourselves in Nice and explore from there?
--Should we rent a car for the weekend or just use the trains and busses?
--We LOVE to SAIL. Is there someplace along the coast you would recommend to explore for a day or two? (We thought about a canal boat trip but 2 days does not seem to be enough)
--We love food and markets and cafes. We hate tourist traps and we love fishing villages and unique towns. (We fell in love with Italy 10 years ago—so close but yet so far?)
--We’re not very cultured so we’re not into museums and art and the glitz and glamour (we’ll be out of place in Monaco, I’m sure).
--We prefer the adventure and uniqueness of a B&Bs to the predictability of a chain hotel.
--I don’t speak French but I’m going to try to learn enough to not seem like an idiot.

Okay. So now you know a little about us. Any suggestions?
Aug 21st, 2009, 01:04 PM
Original Poster

Forgot to mention: It's just the two of us Forty-somethings for this part of the trip. Thanks all!
Aug 21st, 2009, 01:24 PM

The weather "might" still be nice at that time of year, but there is absolutely guarantee. There are years when it has snowed at that time in the south.
Aug 21st, 2009, 01:49 PM

Have you ever been to Nice? If not, why not just see what's around town your first few days. That's what I would do, as I have jet lag, anyway. Nice does have a couple good museums, which you obviously don't care about, but they have a good market (which is daily, I think, at least in the mornings) and the promenade and park are lovely. There are some interesting old churches there, also, and the old quarter, the usual. They have some good jazz clubs. Nice is just a pleasant city to walk around, some nice parks (but have no idea about that time of year, probably not).

I'm not into B&Bs, but they don't usually have them in large cities. There are zillions of hotels that are pretty quirky, unfortunately sometimes, so I don't think your dichotomy between B&Bs and chain hotels is the universe of accommodations.