Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Greek Island hotel question....when to book?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23rd, 2010, 02:32 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife and I are planning a trip to Greece (with maybe a stop on the way out in Venice) next summer (July 2011).

I'm one of "those" people who like to book everything as far in advance as possible...(as long as the price is right, of course.

I've noticed though, that the only hotels available for booking this far out are in Athens and Venice. I realize that Mykonos and Santorini pretty much shut down for the off season, but does anyone have any idea when they might re-open for booking?

Thanks for the help!
Old Aug 23rd, 2010, 03:31 PM

It depends on the hotel. Send emails to the ones that interest you and ask.
Old Aug 23rd, 2010, 11:14 PM

Most Greek Island hotel owners start taking summer bookings in the New Year, but some very popular hotels may start earlier. Typically, hotels that are open only for the tourist season will close in September or October, and the owner goes back to Athens for the winter, takes a well-deserved holiday, or stays on the island and does other jobs.

Some hotel owners are very conscientious about checking their emails during off-season, while others are not. Many hotel owners have a winter contact telephone number, and others leave the number unattended while the hotel is closed. This does not necessarily reflect the quality of the hotel - the worst hotel I have ever stayed in was the quickest to answer my email.

As brotherleelove wrote, "It depends on the hotel."
Old Aug 25th, 2010, 04:42 PM

It might be a good idea to book through a website, eg bookings.com, where you don't have to pay up front and if you find something more suitable you can cancel up to a couple of days before (check the cancellation conditions before booking).
Old Aug 26th, 2010, 12:19 AM

I booked my accommodation in Santorini in January for a trip in July by email. There was no payment up front, not even a deposit. We paid on the last evening before departure, even then we had to track down the owners to do so.
Old Aug 26th, 2010, 05:45 AM

Re Advance bookings: Some of the very fawnciest "honeymoon paradise" hotels on Santorini and perhaps Mykonos seem to get away with advance payment or deposits, or cancellation penalties, but if you're not competing for those places, you should not run into this. In 9 trips, I've only had to pay a deposit once, first-night amount, via credit card, and when we had to cancel a month in advance, card was credited back.

On all other hotels (admittedly, small family-run places) no deposit required, they take my credit-card info in case I'm a no-show .... but when making the reservation I tell them I plan to pay in cash (which they love). ANd when I've had to cancel --- during 2010, calamities befell 4 of my travelling companions! -- I was able to cancel reservations only a couple of weeks ahead of time with no ill-will. On arrival we remaining travelers still were met with warm welcomes.
Old Aug 27th, 2010, 07:06 PM

If there is a particular place you really want to stay - make the reservation early - right after the New Year. As stated, you might not hear back right away, but resend your request in a few weeks. Eventually you will hear back and if you are asking nicely, you will most certainly be booked in. I like to start planning in the fall for a summer trip, but I don't expect to book until February for my preferred spots. Enjoy the fun of planning.
Old Aug 28th, 2010, 06:45 AM

Magsbags has given a good tip. Booking.com gives you access to the hotels that are taking bookings for 2011 right now. Admittedly the number of hotels taking bookings for next year is pretty small this early but if you are a compulsive early booker, you will enjoy this booking site.
Old Aug 28th, 2010, 07:47 AM

I am also going to Greece next summer. I have already booked my hotels in Athens and Naxos and am about to in Santorini as well. The only one I haven't heard back from yet is Paros, and I'm about to email them again.
Old Aug 28th, 2010, 07:49 AM

Maybe I should add that I'm the type who likes to know where I'm staying, and a lot of these places are small, not very many rooms, so I plan ahead!
Old Aug 28th, 2010, 09:08 AM

Hi Susan,

You had better check next spring to insure your bookings haven't been forgotten over the winter. ;-)
Old Aug 28th, 2010, 10:19 AM

Heimdall, yes, I was planning to do that!
Old Aug 31st, 2010, 12:27 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone! I've actually gotten response now from both hotels in Santorini and Mykonos. I'll definately check back in the spring.

Susan P....have fun! Maybe we'll see you there!