Reload this Page >

Greek Ferry Sinks

Search

Greek Ferry Sinks

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27th, 2000, 07:52 AM
Walter

Greek Ferry Sinks

I came across this tragic event on rec.travel.europe and have "cut & pasted" the BBC's URL for this story. Fortunately most survived the sinking, 448 survived but 40 are confirmed dead and (2?) dozens are missing. Walter http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/wor...000/944225.stm <BR>

Old Sep 27th, 2000, 01:01 PM
Bill Barr

This is appalling. <BR> <BR>The BBC are now reporting that 62 passengers are known to have died and at least 28 are unaccounted for. <BR> <BR>Martina (our regular Paros contributor) can you give us an update? I'm sure it would be appreciated bearing in mind the number of questions posted here about ferry travel to the island. <BR> <BR>Bill

Old Sep 27th, 2000, 03:15 PM
topper

Old Sep 27th, 2000, 04:04 PM
Maira

Very sad indeed. What is also disturbing is that, apparently, this specific ferry line, Express Samina, had some really bad recommendations in some guidebooks. Anybody familiar with this line? Any Greek Ferry line you WOULD NOT recommend?

Old Sep 27th, 2000, 04:11 PM
Gina

The ferries we took (Express Santorini was one, for the long-haul nine-hour trip from Piraeus to Santorini with beaucoup de stops in between) all seemed to be in fairly good condition--but then again, I don't know that much about ferries, so perhaps I missed something. But nothing stood out to me as problematic. The one thing I *did* think about, and commented on to friends, was that we were given *zero* information on what to do if there were a crisis like this one--i.e., where to get life jackets, where to go, etc. There were signs for lifeboat muster stations, but no one said anything about them, there were no loudspeaker announcements, nothing. I know it'd be pretty much impossible to do lifeboat drills like those done on cruise ships for short ferry rides, but you'd think they'd at least give you *some* info about what to do if disaster strikes. <BR> <BR>This news was really a kick in the stomach this morning, considering how recently I was on a ferry just off Paros myself. All the passengers are in my thoughts tonight.

Old Sep 27th, 2000, 04:40 PM
Bill Barr

Maira <BR> <BR>The ferry is operated by Minoan Lines one of the largest, if not THE largest ferry operators in Greece. <BR> <BR>I haven't travelled on the ship in question but last year used her sister, Naias II. Pretty basic but not 'notoriously bad' as indicated in some of the guide books. Have to say that she was very stable in what I could only describe as a very rough sea on the evening we used her. <BR> <BR>Minoan also own and operate the Flying Dolphin service. <BR> <BR>Purely a personal thing, but the one ferry I used once and vowed never to again was Express Aphrodite which is operated by the Agapitos Line. I'm a reasonably good traveller but came off the vessel feeling very seedy. She seemed to 'roll' more than others I've been on. As I say though, it's a personal thing and she gets a reasonably good review in the appropriate guides. <BR> <BR>Bill

Old Sep 28th, 2000, 06:56 AM
lisa

Today's Washington Post reports that captain and crew were apparently watching a soccer (football) match on television instead of steering the ferry, and that the large rock it hit was clearly marked and visible.

Old Sep 30th, 2000, 11:54 PM
Walter

I came upon this story on rec.travel.europe it seems that another ferry has sunk and one has run aground in the past couple of days. <BR>http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/wor...000/950704.stm <BR>S Regards, Walter <BR>