Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Lakes: best place in october for a single traveler

Sep 29th, 2000, 03:00 PM
Tina

Will be in Italy mid October. I would like to spend 2 days in the lakes, but wich one? I heard this is not a goot time to visit the lakes, some hotels and restaurants close. True? What about Bellagio? Or Lugano in Switzerland?

Sep 29th, 2000, 07:04 PM
Joan

My favorite lake is Lago Maggiore. I have stayed at La Palma in Stresa three different summers. It is a four star hotel but is right on the lake and very close to the boat ramp to catch the commuter boat that goes to all the villages around the lake. You must go to Villa Taranto (it has its own boat stop) which is a beautiful garden that you walk through. Things are planted for every season and if I remember right it is open through October unless they have an early snow. There is also a funicular railcar that goes up the mountain right out of Stresa to a ski area up the mountain--spectacular views of the Alps from there. Very easy to get to by train too. Happy travel.

Sep 29th, 2000, 07:40 PM
maureen

we were in Lake Maggiore at the end of October last year and the many things were closed, but the week earlier all was open, so go as early as you can when you get to italy.. it was very cool but beautiful, unfortunately all the boats were closed to the other lakes. Have fun

Sep 29th, 2000, 11:11 PM
Holly

My favorite is Lago di Como. You may want to consider staying in the town of Como, at the foot of the lake, and take boat rides to other places on the lake, such as Bellagio, which may be in "shutting down" mode depending on when you'll be there. Como is not a seasonal town, it's actually a lovely town, open year-round and quite picturesque, and easily accessible to anywhere on the lake via ferries, which will still be operating, albeit on a more limited seasonal schedule. And, of course, all towns around the lake will be accessible by road.

Oct 1st, 2000, 04:39 AM
Phil

I just came back from Lake Orta. It's really beautiful there but the weather is getting truly yucky right now. It's raining and cold. I think the tourist season formally ends on October 15th.

Bring a good book since you will probably be forced to spend some time indoors. I would recommend taking a day trip to the region rather than spending any significant time there right now.