Greek Churches??

May 19th, 2010, 09:10 AM
Original Poster

Greek Churches??

Going to Greece next month for the first time! Knowing you have to cover your knees and shouldes in churched in Italy, wondering if its the same in Greece? Thanks for your help and suggestions!
May 19th, 2010, 09:14 AM

It is the same.
May 19th, 2010, 09:08 PM

You have to be realistic about this.

There are very few Greek churches (offhand, I can think only of the monastery at Daphne) that attract battalions of foreign tourists there just to look, rather than worship. And I've never seen in any Greek church those impertinently detailed, and disgracefully unChristian, notices that Italians stick up.

Greeks do cover their knees and shoulders when going to church, and dress at Greek pilgrimage sites is generally more covering than at, say, Lourdes. Loreto or Walsingham. And it's polite and prudent to follow the knee/shoulder principle at places like Daphne.

But meandering round rural Greece, it's not rare to find yourself in a village whose church has interesting paintings - or, occasionally, architecture - when you're in shorts. I've never found anyone look askance at Mrs F or myself when we've popped in and looked, and personally I find wrapping a blanket round your legs disrespectful and histrionic.

The crucial thing if this happens is acting respectfully. It's a church, not an art gallery - and you upset people far more by talking loudly, intruding onto the sanctuary, visiting during services or putting yourself into odd contortions to get the "perfect" photograph.
May 20th, 2010, 12:29 AM

There are some monastic churches/complexes where a strict dress code is expected and often enforced. Not surprising in a country where the monasteries on Mount Athos are barred to all female visitors - on the ground that the monks aren't to be distracted from their daily routines and following their vocation.
At Meteora, men must wear long trousers and women must wear skirts below their knees - trousers not an option. No sleeveless shirts for either and long sleeves preferred. Sometimes you can borrow a wraparound skirt and a long-sleeved shirt at the entrance.
May 20th, 2010, 12:47 AM

Alec is right, monasteries are much more strict about dress code & I have seen entry refused. With smaller churches it's more a matter of respect, to wander around in shorts & sleeveless top is frowned upon & sometimes entry is refused, at the very least you will feel uncomfortable.
May 20th, 2010, 02:44 AM

"I've never seen in any Greek church those impertinently detailed, and disgracefully unChristian, notices that Italians stick up".

Ever heard the phrase, their house, their rules?

In Greece, while they don't normally enforce the covered shoulders and knees rule as strictly as the Italians do, it should be a matter of respect and good manners to do as the parishioners do and dress accordingly if visiting a church.
May 20th, 2010, 07:15 AM

Alec - am I understanding correctly - women can't wear trousers in Meteora? It must be dresses or skirts?
May 20th, 2010, 07:29 AM

Yes, it has to be long skirts at Meteora. The monasteries will lend something to those who didn't bring them.
May 20th, 2010, 07:30 AM

That's the rule, but they usually have a skirt for you to borrow to wear over your shorts, short skirts or trousers.
May 20th, 2010, 07:37 AM

Thanks!