greece trip suggestions

Old Nov 2nd, 2008, 12:52 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
greece trip suggestions

ok...so i really want to go to greece and there is so much to see and do it is overwhelming. i cant decide on an island, how long to stay etc. so this is what i was thinking so far

Fly Rome to Samos
Samos-3 days (maybe do a day trip to Ephesus)
Fly Samos to Santorini
Santorini-2/3 days ( i dont know how long for this island)
Fly Santorini to Athens
Athens-3 days
Fly Athens to Rome

I was also debating the island of Chios...? Basically I just want to see Greece...I want to see Santorini and the Caldera and the towns. I want to see Athens..the Acropolis and The Temple Of Poseidon the parthenon. I would just really like to see a nice island...take a day at the beach etc...eat greek food, experience greek culture, that is really the most important thing to me! any suggestions will help. i wish i had like 1 month!
Old Nov 2nd, 2008, 02:06 PM

Hi

I don't think it's possible to fly Rome to Samos and then to Santorini. You'll fly to Athens then fly to Santorini or Samos. Check air schedules with Aegean or Olympic Air and ferry schedules with www.gtp.gr. Good luck
Old Nov 2nd, 2008, 02:17 PM
Original Poster

I have checked and it is possible.
Old Nov 2nd, 2008, 03:05 PM

Primobacio14204, what airline company are you considering? I know of no airline with non-stop or direct flights between Rome and Samos. Is it a charter company?

It's only possible on Aegean and Olympic Airlines if you fly to Athens first. Aegean Airlines has no non-stop or direct flights between Rome and Samos.

Old Nov 2nd, 2008, 03:14 PM
Original Poster

it is Aegean air, and there is a stop in Athens but its not a big deal because the wait for the flight from Athens to Samos is not long. I know it is not direct and that is ok, the schedule is good, not too long of a wait.
Old Nov 2nd, 2008, 04:12 PM

I gather u only have a week for Greece. 2 Islands + 2 days in Athens is absolute Max, even if u fly to all. And you fail to tell us when you are going it makes a BIIIIG difference whether it's May, June or (ugh)August.

Samos WILL give u a taste of Greek island life if u steer clear of towns that have UK package-tour throngs in July-Aug (Kokkari & Pythagoras). South West Samos has lovely sand beaches & small authentic villages; you need a car or scooter. Here's good/cheap place on LImnonias beach:http://www.studiosioanna.com/
If u plan that day-trip to Ephesus, stay in Vathy -- nice small family hotel Hotel Pythogoras, easy 10 min walk from dock, right on the bay!

Santorini is a 2-day only, mainly for the VIEW (gorgeous), but beaches are black grit, island totally touristic so can't "experience greek culture" really.

BTW, to get between the 2, you must fly to Athens then out to Santorini, that will take much of a day even if you get a good connection, what with checking out, getting to/from 3 airports. Be realistic about the time required to get 1 place to next.
Old Nov 2nd, 2008, 06:33 PM

If you check with http://www.skyexpress.gr you might find that they are offering a direct flight between Samos and Santorini if your travel dates are during the same time that they are in operation. They're a seasonal airline, so their off-season schedule is limited. Right now it's "under construction" for the upcoming winter.
Old Nov 2nd, 2008, 07:46 PM
Original Poster

i am planning on going mid june! will 2 days be enough in athens? we have 7-9 days for our trip to greece but i am also considering travel time. getting to and from the airport, checking in, etc. thank you for the info on the accomodations in samos, i will check it out
Old Nov 2nd, 2008, 07:50 PM
Original Poster

aegean air has a stop in athens, but the schedule is pretty good, it looks like i wouldnt be spending the whole time at the airport. i will keep checking on sky express also...thanks.
i am just wondering if that itinery is doable???
Old Nov 2nd, 2008, 10:11 PM

It's doable, barely. You'd be better off sticking to Athens and one island with so few days for your holiday. Go to Samos. From there you can take a daytrip to another Greek island as well as a daytrip into Turkey to see the ruins at Ephesus.
Old Nov 3rd, 2008, 05:56 AM

brotherlee is right; that's really a short time, and you DO want to do justice to Athens' glories... and June is a great month; warm, not hot.

Samos Day Trip Options --

PATMOS -- besides Ephesus,Samos has day excursions to Patmos; the main thing is the monastery atop the heights. IF you're not into that, I'd suggest u rent a motor scooter the minute you land, & go off to explore the island -- you have from about 10 am to 1630 (4:30pm) 6-6.5 hours for discovery; Patmos has some good beaches I hear.

CHIOS: this is also a 2-3 hr ferry ride but unfortunately no day trips; but sometimes u can get a 9 pm ferry as we did that gets in at midnight -- we had the full day the next day rented a car & drove all ove isle, and got a ferry back to samos at 5 am the following morning; about 36 hrs. (Chios is STUNNING: Mastic Villages, black pebble beaches, historic Moni Monastery).You would have to wait until arriving in Samos to see if this was do-able. the ISTA travel agency right by the Samos Town dock is THE place to check this out; very knowledgeable.