Greece! OPA!

Mar 10th, 2010, 04:28 PM
Original Poster

Greece! OPA!

Hello, trying to book a trip to Greece (traveling from SC, USA) in either September or October. Plane tickets from the states are quite expensive! We want to go to Athens, Corfu (family there can stay/eat for free), Santorini and Mykonos (would also love to see Rhodes. We will be there for 14-16 days...is this doable? I know this will cost an arm and a leg! I was trying to think of the best way to do this since we most likely will be arriving and departing from Athens. We wanted to spend 2-3 days tops in Athens will probably do all that last before we go. I just wish Corfu was closer to the other Greek islands...

Seems like we will arrive in Greece, head straight to Corfu 4-5 days, back to Athens then to the other islands and eventually back to Athens to depart to the US.

Anyone have any other cheaper/economical/realistic ideas? The cheapest flights I can find to Athens are over $1000, I wonder if they will get any cheaper?
Mar 10th, 2010, 04:39 PM

With so few days to see Athens and 3-4 islands flying is your only realistic option between Athens and Corfu, then back to Athens for a flight to Rhodes. From Rhodes you can take an evening ferry to Santorini and then a short ferry hop to Mykonos, then fly back to Athens from there. Flying from one island to another means a return to Athens for a plane change.
Mar 10th, 2010, 04:58 PM
Original Poster

We really want to see and experience the islands, I've been to Athens before wasn't very impressed but my friend hasn't. I was really young when I went so I didn't really appreciate it. I remember Corfu being beautiful. Thanks for your input saving my pennies! We may skip out on Rhodes all that traveling may be too much.
Mar 11th, 2010, 04:15 AM
ira

Hi Mav,

I checked www.kayak.com
www.mobissimo.com
www/1800flyeurope.com
http://www.flycheapabroad.com/default.aspx
for flights from Charlotte or Raleigh-Durham.

They were all from about $1080 - 1170.

Airfare is expensive this year. Fewer flights, oil is up, etc.

Mar 11th, 2010, 04:17 AM
ira

PS,

See what it might cost if you fly RT to London, Dublin, Paris, Rome or Frankfurt. and then take a discount AL (See www.whichbudget.com) to Athens.

Mar 11th, 2010, 07:50 AM

Cannot help, just want to say I like your subject line
Mar 11th, 2010, 07:59 AM

Weather in Greece in Sept? how probable that there will be annoying winds? I am debating a trip in 2011 and trying to decide between May and Sept.

As to the airfare - does not surprise me - seems about normal airfare these days - Ira is correct, fewer flights this year. The only good thing is they do not seem to fluctuate as much so once you set your dates, you might as well "pull the trigger" instead of watching and waiting.
Mar 11th, 2010, 08:30 AM

Winds get stronger at night in September which can make dining outside a tad annoying, but overall it won't be as bad as July or October. I prefer May.
Mar 11th, 2010, 12:20 PM

I am going to Greece in May. The trip started out as a visit to a friend in England and I added Greece after booking my original flights. I am flying Easyjet from Gatwick non-stop to Santorini and then non-stop from Mykonos to Gatwick for a RT fare of $240 including taxes, checking one bag in each direction and priority boarding in each direction. They have one flight a day and not every day, so your plans need to be flexible. I'm just glad I don't have to go through Athens. The flight out of Gatwick is very early in the morning, so I'm staying at the Yotel inside the airport -- cost $100 for eight hours. I'm looking at that as an experience in itself. www.yotel.com. This may not be much help to you with your planned itinerary, but perhaps it will help someone else reading this post.
Mar 11th, 2010, 02:12 PM

More airports should have a Yotel!