Greece too hot in June and July?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31st, 2007, 12:44 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have a chance to go to Greece next year, from the fourth week of June through the third week of July. Is it too hot?
Old Jul 31st, 2007, 12:55 PM

I think this would depend upon where you're coming from and your tolerance for hot weather. I, personally, would avoid Greece in late June-July but I know others who would love it.
Old Jul 31st, 2007, 01:00 PM

I know it's been in the 100+ F range lately so you decide if that's too hot for you. You can go to www.weather.com and other weather sites to see the average temps for that time period.
Old Jul 31st, 2007, 01:11 PM

We were in Greece last week, and temps were in the 100s due to the heatwave sweeping southern Europe. Temps are usually in the high 80s and 90s.
Old Aug 1st, 2007, 06:05 PM

I was in Greece last week and it was 46 degrees Celsius in Athens...heat wave! On the islands there were breezes and water. It was fine. In fact, I loved it. Our family included my parents and my children 72-7 years of age and we all loved our holiday. Athens was hot. It always is in the summer. As long as you have a nice hotel with Air conditioning, your sight seeing can be done early and late.

If you are a cold weather person, Greece in the summer is not for you!

Old Aug 4th, 2007, 06:22 AM

YES! It is too hot in Greece for the most part in July and August if one is not in a cold pool or AC.

We have been in Greece since June and it was not bad then, but by July it gets crowded and very, very hot.

I love the islands,but was very glad to get off them as I found it miserably hot ( and not enough breeze any more). I found it miserably hot in Nafplion as well even at the beach and very crowded.

I am sitting in the shade here in Olympia and it is not bad here, but we do not go out in the heat of the day in the sun either.

I am very heat sensitive and did not want to be here at this time, but that said, it can be done even for a person like me.

Stay in the shade, pool or AC as much as possible. See things VERY early in the day or late at night when it is coolest and less crowded. ALWAYS have water with you ..to drink and pour over your head if needed.

Make sure your hotel has GOOD A/C as some of them set it way too low and you can not change it.

We have managed to have a great time despite well over 100 degree heat in much of our trip to Greece and Turkey.

There were SOME moments tho...like when I ended up in the hospital in Rhodes in 100 plus heat after a bus ride to Lindos where a lady fainted from the heat.

( We got stuck out side in the heat of the day)

If you are careful and do your homework,you can still have lots of fun.
Old Aug 4th, 2007, 07:29 AM

Greeks go to the islands in the summer to get away from the heat of the mainland. One of the blessings of the Meltemi wind in the Cyclades is that it cools things down. When it is 100F+ on the mainland, it can be in the 80s on the islands. WTnow seems to have arrived on the mainland just as the heatwave was breaking, so unusally it was hotter for her on the islands. Kathimerini newspaper forecasts a high of 91F for Athens this weekend.
Old Aug 4th, 2007, 09:15 AM

We usually spend the first 3 weeks of July on Paxos in the Ionians. It's hot, but not unbearably so and we live in northern England, so we're not exactly used to scorchio conditions. You just have to be sensible and get some shade around mid-day. We find long taverna lunches especially good for this
Old Aug 4th, 2007, 11:15 AM

>WTnow seems to have arrived on the mainland just as the heatwave was breaking,

Yes I think that is true and in fact we loved the breezes on the islands when we first arrived and even our last day there were some and they make all the difference.

Sometimes tho, even on the islands, there are no breezes and the heat can be well over 100F and the crowds can make it all seem worse if you have to move on that day or take a ferry or what not. Even at 4 am there was sweltering heat when we arrived the second time to Satorini!!

June was our best month there, July had its good moments and even some in August. Our last day in Satorini ws nice and we have had wonderful days in Samos, Delphi and Olympia.

Even VERY early morning in Mykonos town and Nafplion were nice on very hot days. But sometimes a lunch time taverna in the shade was just not enough...air conditioning or a dunk were necessary as some times there is no wind or the wind is HOT.

My husband is 3rd generation from Spain and raised in Fresno where it is VERY hot in the summer so can take the heat much better than I can. But even he found it unbearable at times.

The good news is that not every day is unbearable and if you use your head and have AC , shade and a pool , you can still have fun even if you are a like me.

I would probably like Greece better in May or October, but this is how it worked out and I am still glad that we came. So I suppose "too hot" is relative.

It was VERY hot this year, but maybe next year it will be cooler.