Search

Ideas for day trips from Lugano?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3rd, 2007, 05:31 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ideas for day trips from Lugano?

Hi everyone,

I am finding myself in an enviable position to be able to take another trip to Europe this year, due to generosity of my friend, who offered us the use of their villa just outside of Lugano. The trip is to take place at the end of this month, to celebrate our wedding anniversary. While I am very much thrilled at the opportunity, this does not leave me with a heck of a time to research and I was hoping those familiar with the area might be able to assist with the suggestions of restaurants and possible day trips.

We will probably spend about a week in the area (flying to LHR on FF miles, then a flight to Zurich and train to Lugano). We actually spent a few hours in Lugano last fall as a day trip from Menaggio, so I know we can take a trip to Lake Como on the bus. That however, is the extent of my current knowledge of the possibilities. We would prefer to use public transportation, but renting a car is a possibilitiy if it proved to be the best way to see the region.

So I am looking for some information on the public transport in the area, day trips in both Switzerland and Italy and suggestions for reasonably priced restaurants and would very much appreciate any suggestions. We are not hikers but do enjoy scenic walks. We absolute adored lake Como and taking the boat to various towns on the lake, so expect would do the same on lake Lugano.

I'll also pump my friend (the owner of our lodgings) for information, but they travel in a somewhat different style (pricier restaurants, company car as the husband works for a large multinational firm and has an office in Lugano.) We are on a bit more restricted budget as this was not a planned in advance trip, but can't pass the opportunity to celebrate our anniversary in Switzerland, despite the destination not being known for being particularly budget friendly
Old Aug 3rd, 2007, 06:08 AM

We spent a week at a ferienwohnung halfway up Monte Bré, we had a car (very necessary IMO) and took numerous day trips in all directions.

- On Lake Lugano itself, to San Salvatore, Morcote and Gandria.

- In addition to Lakes Como and Maggiore, we were able to enjoy the town of Orta San Giulio on Lake Orta.

- We went up the Ticino valleys, Centovalli, Valle Maggia and Val Versasca.

- We spent time in Bellinzona and then took a loop drive over the San Bernardino Pass.

- A highlight (amongst many) was the trip into the Val Bregaglia and especially a stay (and a very scenic walk) in the picturesque village of Soglio.

We too were on a budget and nothing we did was at all pricey and we did not find the area at all budget unfriendly...
Old Aug 3rd, 2007, 07:13 AM

I took most of the side trips mentioned above all by train, bus or lake steamer. Soglio by car? NO WAY ..LOL! After crossing that pass with the buses and cars honking horns and taking turns, etc. Switzerland has the most amazing public transportation system in the world, IMO.I've been 3 times without a car and din't miss it. In fact, it's more enjoyable to sightsee that way. I know you don't hike, but take the funicular up San Salvatore and walk a bit down the forested path. Gorgeous. There are a few little cafes in tiny villages over there which are sp romantic and reasonable. Then, you can take a bus to Morcote and water ferry back. Bellinzona...you can ppay one price and visit the museums in all 3 castles. However, there's not much to see inside. However, you can take buses to the top for stunning views. We had fabulous pasta at one of the cafes in that town. If you go to Soglio, which I think is one of the most beautiful places on God's earth, have lunch in the gardens at the Hotel Palazzo Salis. Homemade pasta to die for. Gandria is special- food there was a bit pricey, but good. We often just strolled through town and found small cafes with reasonable prices. Just about any pizzeria over there will be fantastic. A villa, eh? Lucky you!
Old Aug 3rd, 2007, 07:25 AM

LLindaC - perhaps you should help the OP with your knowledge of public transportation i.e. how does one reach Soglio, Orta San Giulio or Lavertezzo all from the starting point of Lugano? And returning there too?
Old Aug 3rd, 2007, 07:36 AM

http://llindac.myphotoalbum.com/slid...umName=album01

There are some pics of Soglio in there. For deciding on public transportation? go to www.sbb.ch Be sure to look at the top of the page and click on "en" for English. You can get info on trains and buses on that site. Water, too, I believe. My husband and I bought Swiss saver passes and were able to just flash those and jump on any transport at any time. It was amazingly easy. Having just returned from awesome Austria, the only complaint i have is that they just aren't as efficient as the Swiss in public transport. But then, who is?
Old Aug 3rd, 2007, 01:52 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for these ideas. I will try to figure out if I can reach these locations by public transport before determining whether we need to rent a car.

Of course, any more thoughts and ideas are most welcome (favorite restaurants, perhaps?).
Old Aug 4th, 2007, 11:10 AM
Original Poster

A slightly different question (not sure if it merited a separate thread) - are there parking areas in Lugano where we can drop off the car and navigate the rest of the city on public transportation?

It would appear that having a car would be a great convenience as the villa is located in Vico Morcote, not Lugano proper. It's my understanding that Vico Morcote is a lovely tiny village but remote enough that having a car seems to be a requirement (2 buses and a train to get to Lugano in just under an hour on public transport, while only a 15 minutes drive).

We'd prefer not to have to drive in the city itself though, so any suggestions on convenient places to drop off the car (train station?) that will not break the bank would be appreciated.
Old Aug 4th, 2007, 11:23 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I found a few parking alternatives:
Park & Ride Cornaredo (This is supposedly free)

Park & Ride Bahnhof parking Lugano.
Unfortunately, I couldn't find out how much the Lugano Bahnhof parking costs.

Here's a map of all of the parking lots in Lugano: http://www.lugano.ch/trasporti/welcome.cfm?id=05008

Why don't you write a quick email to the Lugano tourism office asking for some advice? Their email is: [email protected]