Greece to Italy transport

May 30th, 2008, 10:41 AM
Original Poster

Greece to Italy transport

Hello, I am about to embark on my second travel abroad experience next week. For the first part of my trip, I will be studying photography at an arts program in Paros, Greece, for three weeks. I'm nervous/excited--I'll be traveling from the U.S. to Athens all on my own and don't know any of the other students in the program! Last summer I studied abroad in Florence but with a group from my university, so I knew the students as well as the professors.

On June 28th, at the end of the Greece program, I will ride the ferry from Paros back to Athens with my group, then on the 29th, take a flight to Italy and get to Florence. I'll begin a 2-week Italian language school in Florence on the 30th. I am trying to book a flight from Athens to Milan (I guess, I'd prefer to fly into Florence and not have the hassle of a train, but those flights are too expensive for my student budget). I've looked on Easyjet and Ryanair, have read up on all of their policies, and have found the cheapest flight to be from Easyjet at 107 Euro. If I were able to fly just one day later, since it'd be a Monday, the cost would be just 78 Euro, but my school starts that day!! I have a very small window of time to get from Greece to Italy.

I am wondering:

-- Does anyone know of a way to get a cheaper flight? I don't care about amenities, I just want to get safely from Athens to Italy, at the lowest cost. Are there any cheaper tickets through discounted sites?

-- Does anyone know the price of a 2nd class student train ticket from Milan to SMN Florence (not flexi, I'd rather have a secured seat to be sure)? I've tried looking it up but haven't located a good source of info. Also, how many hours is the average train from Milan to SMN?

If anyone else has any advice at all for me, please do give it!!!

I'll be traveling as light as possible, but will have checked luggage because I'll be in Greece/Italy 7 weeks total, and I've got to take photo darkroom supplies (paper, film) for the photography program. Such is the life of an art student!

Thank you very much.
May 30th, 2008, 10:46 AM

Have you tried flights for

Florence
Pisa
Bologna

You can get accurate train fares here:

http://www.trenitalia.com/en/index.html
May 30th, 2008, 10:52 AM

Also, Rome might work . . .

fastest train between Rome and Florence = 1:37

fastest train between Milan and Florence = 2:44
May 30th, 2008, 11:12 AM

Check these websites:

http://www.aegean-air.gr/aegeanen/home/

http://www.myair.com/docs/cust/en/index.shtml (2 separate flights: Athens>Bari and Bari>Milan-these are really cheap!)
May 30th, 2008, 11:36 AM
Original Poster

ellenem,

Thank you for the train site, I wasn't sure if I could find all train fares there or just Eurostar, but I shall check it out.

I've tried looking up flights to Rome, Florence, Pisa, etc., but all are double the price or more of one to Milan. Thanks for the suggestion, though.

brotherleelove2004,

Thanks for the sites, I did look into them! However...AgeanAir was more expensive than EasyJet, and MyAir has good deals but the flight from Athens to Bari is a day before I am able to leave, and even if I were able to leave late that afternoon, the flight is at 7 am, and I'll still be on Paros, unfortunately. Thanks, anyhow! I'll keep looking.
May 30th, 2008, 03:43 PM
Original Poster

After a day's worth of research, I'm thinking maybe I should ride an overnight ferry to Italy.

Can anyone advise me???

Here's the deal...

If I take a plane, my route will be:
Ferry from Paros to Athens
Overnight at hostel in Athens
Bus to Airport
Plane from Athens to Milan
Train from Milan to Florence
Mey apt. in Florence is luckily within walking distance of SMN, plus I've lived in Florence before and know my way around.

I'm trying to find info on overnight ferries, but it's kind of hard to decipher. Can anyone point me in the right direction? I just want to get from Paros to Florence with as few transfers of transportation as possible. I don't know what kind of ferry tickets to look into, whether I should buy it now or when I've arrived in Greece, where I should ferry out of and into to get to Florence most easily from Paros, etc. Help?
May 30th, 2008, 03:56 PM

Here's a link for the Greece>Italy ferries. http://www.greekferries.gr/

You'll need to take a bus from Athens/Piraeus to Patras to catch a ferry across to Italy. I think it's faster to go to Patras by bus instead of by train because of the route and stops. I haven't done it but I believe the ferry companies have shuttle buses from the Greek port of Piraeus to Patras. Your choice of Italian destination ports are Venice, Bari, Brindisi and Ancona. Ancona is closest to Florence but Venice is closest to Milan.
May 30th, 2008, 04:01 PM
Original Poster

Mille grazie!! I will look into that.
Jun 9th, 2008, 10:13 PM

I am not speaking from first hand experience, rather from looking at similar plans.

IFeelFancy, sounds like you're a young female student, somewhat concerned about traveling alone, and feeling that airlines would be safer.

Rather than flying the long way around, why not consider a ferry to Bari or Ancona, then get on the train?

Along with this suggestion comes a question to the forum: would a 4-day 2-country Eurail Pass offer any advantage to us over buying on location? I mean over a two person ferry+train discount, one person being below age 26? I can't find reliable prices on the web. Does one have to pre-purchase Italian train tickets 3 days in advance for any discount?