Reload this Page >

Greece - tips for great places?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 9th, 2000, 11:57 AM
sammy

Hi there everybody, <BR> <BR>I know this is not very specific, but I'd just like to know if anyone can recommend any beautiful place in Greece spontaneously? From the heart? I've never been there... but heard it's great. <BR> <BR>Thanks. <BR>Unfortunately I don't have e-mail.

Old May 9th, 2000, 01:44 PM
elaine

1. Corfu, particularly Paleokastritsa <BR> <BR>2. Cape Sounion: temple of Poseidon and the sea below

Old May 9th, 2000, 03:46 PM
Buffider

Crete was my favorite. We were in Elounda and Mirtos - small villages, people VERY friendly, beautiful ocean. Near Elounda is the last leper colony in Europe - closed now, of course, but a fascinating place to tour. Always carry water, it's hot and dry there!

Old May 11th, 2000, 11:44 AM
martina

You're welcome to come and have a look at Paros at http://www.paros-online.com! <BR> <BR>Greetings, <BR>Martina

Old May 12th, 2000, 08:08 PM
Kristina

I did not look at that Paros web site but i agree with her. I just loved it there. Beautiful beaches, quaint town, spectacular sunset and not too touristy. Recommend the Astir of Paros hotel - off the beaten track bit great grounds, beach and pool. Have fun

Old May 12th, 2000, 09:40 PM
April

Folegandros in the Cyclades. Old world, off the beaten track, very few vehicles, spectacular views.

Old May 13th, 2000, 01:32 AM
Marie

Sammy, I'm with Buffider for Crete and Elounda! We've been there on 3 or 4 occasions and loved it more every time. It does cater well for visitors but isn't too developed - real Greece without losing too many home comforts! It has a good bus service if you don't want to risk driving. We visited sites all over the island using only public transport and it was very easy. Good luck and happy travelling!

Old May 13th, 2000, 07:11 PM
Buffider

Forgot to mention: mosquitoes in Elounda! Really wish we'd taken netting for over our bed, and lots of Cutter's!

Old May 14th, 2000, 08:52 AM
Robin

If possible, rent a car on Paros. We arrived by sailboat at Paroikia, then drove to Naoussa (I think-- forgive me, but names of towns are escaping me!), then went into the hills to a charming town near and old Roman road. Everything is close together, and you get a totally different impresssion getting away from the ferries. <BR> <BR>Also Oia, on Santorini, is wonderful as soon as the cruise ships leave! Stay for a few days, and you'll live for those quiet times.

Old May 18th, 2000, 06:19 AM
Penny

Crete--tour the Minoan site of Knossos; stay in Chania; hike the Samaria gorge.

Old May 18th, 2000, 07:54 AM
RAD

You must go to Santorini and see the whole Island. Also in the mainland there is a little fishing villiage called Napleon. It is beautiful there.

Old May 19th, 2000, 12:05 PM
Gina

Sammy, just have to say I can fully recommend Martina and her web site (www.paros-online.com). Their rooms are terrific, and Paros is a magical place. Just returned, it was my favorite island! Martina, if you happen to see this, hi & thanks so much!

Old May 19th, 2000, 01:47 PM
dave

Definitely Crete. Stay in Chania for a few days, tour the countryside and go down to Eloufinisi Islands for a dip. Then drive east to Elounda for a few days. A great little fishing village, go to Knossos and the museum in Iraklion.