Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Greece or Thailand!? Please Help Us Decide!

Jun 22nd, 2005, 07:45 PM
Original Poster

We would love to hear from people that have visited both of these countries. We know we will visit both of these places within the next few years but we are trying to decide where to go next year.

We are both quite adventuresome and we have both travelled through most of Europe but we have never been to Asia. I would like to sail a bit at whatever destination we decide on but that is not a requirement.

For our vacation next year we wanted to relax a bit rather than zip from place to place trying to see everything.

What do you suggest?

I will also post this in the Asia forum.

Thanks for your input!

Cheers!

Jun 22nd, 2005, 08:48 PM

I've been to Thailand 4 times and Greece 5 times in the last 20 years. You couldn't have chosen more wisely. These are both wonderful countries with so much to offer.

My suggestion to you is to go to Thailand, especially if you've never been to Asia. You will be blown away by the difference in the cultural point of view. It's so different there.

There are many lovely islands in Thailand where you can enjoy beachfront bungalows for as little as $6-8 USD/day for the basic budget coconut wood structure. Of course you can pay more and will do so if you require A/C, flush toilets instead of the squat variety, screens on the windows and a swimming pool. It all depends on what you require, you'll be able to find it, and cheaply! Thailand is one of the last great values for the traveller.

You don't say when you plan to travel. One thing to keep in mind is the weather in Thailand. From May-October the Monsoon season is upon the area of Thailand adjacent to the Andaman Sea, where the terrible tsunami came ashore. But from November through April this is the part of the country to see if you want beach time. In the remaining months the islands in the Gulf of Thailand are the ones to visit.

Bangkok is a truly unique and amazing city, with a heady mix of modern and old world competing for the same space.

Being an 'island person' I've never gone north to Chiang Mai or Chiang Rai, but so many people love that part of the country. I'm sure it's wonderful if you're interested in mountain tribal culture and rainforests.

I can offer you more specific information about certain areas I'm familiar with-hotels, etc. Let me know if I can be of assistance to you. Also, there's a great internet travel forum for Thailand where you can get up-to-the-minute information and advice. Check it out.

www.travelforum.org/thailand/main.html
Jun 22nd, 2005, 08:55 PM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for the detailed answer to my question! You had also answered my question about Sailing in Greece.

When we go will depend largely on where we go. We will have about 3 weeks.

We both love exploring other cultures and cuisines.

We know that we will visit both of these destinations over the next few years but we can't seem to decide which place to visit next year! Decisions, decisions!

Thanks again!

Please keep the opinions coming!
Jun 22nd, 2005, 09:37 PM

Just replied on the Asia side of Fodors, I agree with the other poster, Greece and Thailand are great places, Brotherlove also mentioned a different outlook on life and that is what perhaps is greater than anything else, people live life to enjoy and be happy, less stress in travel, it's a very very different attitude and this you find everywhere.
Apart from very cheap accommodation you can stay in fine and luxury comfort. Just to give idea on costsbr />
A good 3 star hotel with air conditiong, mini bar, tc etc in aplace with restaurant, swimming pool ranges from about USD 20 to USD 40 for 2 all in, you can get higher grade hotels such as Novotel or Sofitels for under USD 50 for 2 !! Even top place like the Marriott Resort right on the river in Bangkok is under USD 100.
Around Chiang Mai a luxury all suite spa resort will set you back about USD 90. Hilton and Sheratons under USD 100, even a luxury Hyatt Regency Beach resort might cost you about USD 110, but that is going to top level.
A snack lunch from USD 1 to 2.50, a nice dinner anything from USD 4 to 7.
A cola costs about US 30 cents, Beer around USD 1 to 1.50, domestic bus, train and air travel are cheap, 1 hour domestic flight from as low as USD 15 to a maximum of USD 40.
Jun 23rd, 2005, 04:51 AM
Original Poster

James, Thanks for giving some details on cost! I know it will cost more to fly to Thailand but it sounds like the cost of everything else will even that out.

Is it feasable to see a good part of Thailand and maybe even fly into Cambodia during a 3 week trip or should we just stick to Thailand if we go?
Jun 23rd, 2005, 05:24 AM

I'll reply to the thread on thr Asia board as I know others will want to give their ideas too, otherwise we will get accused of clogging up the Euro board!
It is easy to see Cambodia and Vietnam too, lots of frequent flights, Angkor Wat is just 55 minute flight from bangkok, Ho Chi Mon City (aka Saigon ) about 1 hr 20 minutes, it's easy and relatively cheap, anyway see you on the Asia Board and other regulars can also add their ideas. The air fares might not be that much more, depends if ex East Coast or West Coast as to routing, but Thai fly non-stop JFK to Bangkok
Jun 23rd, 2005, 05:25 AM

Typo: Ho Chi Min City I meant to type