What's the Best Location in Capri??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20th, 2005, 03:00 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Trying to decide where to stay in Capri, and figure deciding on location first might make sense.

What is the best location (street or area) to stay if we want good views, but also a fairly easy walk into town?
Old Jun 21st, 2005, 04:06 AM

Capri is not very large...you can walk wherever you want to go.
That being said, we were very sorry we actually stayed on Capri. In retrospect, we should have stayed two more nights in Positano and did an easy day trip to Capri. I found Capri to be very crowded and touristy. We stayed at the Quisisana which is considered to be top notch. We had problems with snooty service, a large, noisy party at the pool under our room until 12 midnight (complete indifference from the management after we complained) and not much to do on Capri except shop and sunbathe. It was too rough to see the Blue Grotto, and that can be done on a day tour anyways.
Just my opinion. I am sure there are others who loved Capri!
Old Jun 21st, 2005, 05:37 AM

Anything on Via Tragara. The most beautiful street in the world if you ask me.
Old Jun 21st, 2005, 01:47 PM
Original Poster

OpusX - that's what I have read recently.

Is the street basically a hill - i.e., the higher up you are (farther from town) the better the view from anything on this street?
Old Jun 21st, 2005, 01:50 PM

At its near highest point sits the Hotel Punta Tragara which probably has the best views on the island. But yes, it's basically a hilled street that gets further away from the center of town the higher you go. The walk from The Hotel Punta Tragara is about 10-15 minutes to the town piazza.
Old Jun 21st, 2005, 03:22 PM
Original Poster

OK, as reality sets in, I realize we cannot afford the hotel I like the most - Casa Morgano. At 400E per night, I cannot justify the cost, when we are renting an entire apartment for 1,500E for 8 days in Positano!

I want our stay on Capri to be special, as it is our anniversary, but don't want to break the bank. Through all my reading, I have narrowed down to the following. We like small (under 50 rooms), intimate, charming places, with great ambience and views. We would like to be able to walk easily into town. We don't want a "resort", don't really care about the pool, or health club, or beauty salon, etc., and a place without attitude.

Here's our "short" list:

Certosella - This is right next to Morgano according to Via Michelin, and much cheaper, although I can find little on it - 260E night for a sea view double in high season (we are going in May) - Via Tragara 13/15

La Minerva - 270E - Deluxe with Sea View - Via Occhio Marino 8

Mamela - 270E - Deluxe - Sea View - Via Campo de Teste 8

Luna - Deluxe Double - 380E - Terrace overlooking the Sea - this one is pushing it - may as well go with Morgano at this price - Viale Matteotti 3

Brunella - Jr. Suite (the only rooms they told me that have sea views) - 390E - Again - we may as well just go with Morgano at that price - Via Tragara 24

Can someone help us out as to what might fit our needs? I guess we are looking for "romantic", but not at 400E!

Old Jun 22nd, 2005, 09:22 AM

Of those La Luna has the best views that will knock your socks off. I would place Brunella a strong second as long as you can get an un-obstructed sea-view room.
Old Jun 22nd, 2005, 10:56 AM

Our room at La Minerva had a nice, large deck with beautiful views. (We'll post photos when we get our trip report together.)

It's a well-run and clean place, very quiet at night, and an easy stroll to the piazetta. A good overall value for that pricey island, and I can recommend it.
Old Jun 22nd, 2005, 11:58 AM

Hotel Luna in Capri was where we stayed duringour trip in 2000. We loved the hotel, the service and the views! I think that it has a better location than Quisisana.
Old Jun 22nd, 2005, 02:02 PM
Original Poster

mr go -
Did you have one of the Deluxe rooms or a superior?

Was the view unobstructed?

As much as we like Luna and Brunella, the price is just too much. I would rather do with a little less or have a little less exceptional view and be able to spend one more night.

So, it's now between Minerva, Mamela or Certosella. We're leaning toward Minerva - only because it shows up in Karen Brown's guidebook and has lots of good reviews on Tripadvisor.com.

Please post when your pictures are up - dying to see them!
Old Jun 22nd, 2005, 02:38 PM

Hi wanderer -

We had a superior room. It was on the lowest floor of the hotel. I'd imagine the view from the higher floors would be better. (note: the lobby and roof deck are at the top levels of the hotel, and the floors descend from there)

I've posted a couple of pictures from the hotel (these have to replicate to the Webshots server, so if you don't seem them at first, try again later):

http://community.webshots.com/album/376446304OvLRxv

I'm not sure the 'room terrace' shot does justice to the view. If you are closer to the rail, you can see more of the sea, and off to the right, you can see some of the hill and other buildings in town.

The terraces are a nice size, but note they aren't completely private (ours wasn't, anyway). There is a privacy barrier for the half or so closest to the room (i.e., where the table is in the picture), but there is just a plant separating them further out. We didn't find that to be an issue. Apparently, we didn't take any other pictures of our room. It was a little narrow, but nice and very comfortable. The bath was pretty big and had plenty of counter space. I thought the common areas were very tastefully decorated. You can have your breakfast on the terrace. Service was very good. It is just far enough out of town to be quiet, even during the day. The walk into town is a little uphill, but easy and very nice. We were very happy there.

IIRC, the Mamela is very close by. I remember walking past it a number of times.
Old Jun 22nd, 2005, 03:27 PM
Original Poster

We are adding one more hotel to the list - Hotel Flora, which I just found is part of the Morgano group of hotels. It looks very, very, nice.

I'd be curious what people think of the location - Via Federico Serena, which looks like it is just above, and a continuation of Via Vittoria Emanuele.

Old Jun 23rd, 2005, 02:35 AM
Original Poster

These are our final 3 choices:

Minerva - 270E - Deluxe with Sea View and Terrace
Via Occio Marino 8

Flora - 290E - Double with Sea View
Via Federico Serena (supposedly very near Quisisana)

Certosella - 206E - Deluxe Double in new wing - Terrace with sea View
Via Tragara 13/15

I've found all these on the map, but not knowing Capri, don't know which would be the better location.

I've read the the Quisiana is "too near" town, so maybe the Flora is not the best choice.

Can anyone help out?
Old Jun 23rd, 2005, 02:36 AM
Original Poster

Oops - Certosella is 260E, not 206E.
Old Jun 23rd, 2005, 02:41 AM
Original Poster

Forgot -
All 3 of these include breakfast - does Capri also have tax - if so, what is the rate?

The Certosella is owned by the proprietor of the La Canzone del Mare restaurant, and also has a small restaurant at the hotel.

The Flora and Minerva do not have restaurants, but I assume any of these locations is within walking distance to several?
Old Jun 23rd, 2005, 06:39 AM

Just be careful. When a hotel says "sea-view" it may not mean you have a complete and totally unobstructed view of the sea. It may literally mean you can just see the water if you stand on your tippy toes on your balcony while craning your neck around a tree limb.

Capri is expensive and if it is a "special" stay for you I say go a little over your budget from the above hotels and stay at La Luna, Brunella, or Punta Tragara. Forgo something else on the trip to fit it in your budget. You two will remember it for the rest of your lives.