Greece north of Athens

Old Aug 23rd, 2021, 08:44 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Greece north of Athens

Hello, we have 2 weeks in September: we shall probably fly in to Athens and then spend a couple of days there, always love Athens. As we have been to the Pelopponese two or three times before, we fancy travelling north perhaps taking in Delphi - BUT then, I have not a clue what to take in travelling north. We are not really beach people and, if we are driving would prefer more manageable roads , we would really appreciate some ideas on what to do as, because of the covid situation, planning holidays these days is all very last minute.
Would appreciate some ideas. thanks!
Old Aug 23rd, 2021, 10:31 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My time in northern Greece was back in 2006, but my TR may still be helpful. I thought time in the north was well worth it.

See the second and third "chapter" here: European Spring 2006 -- Wilhelm's Words

If you really got bored you could keep going to Albania or take the ferry to Corfu, but I don't think you'll need to do either.
Old Aug 23rd, 2021, 10:53 AM

Pre-covid, I planned a foiled visit to Thessaloniki, Meteora, and the Pelion peninsula, with possible side trips to Mount Olympus and Veria. The Bradt Guide to Northern Greece is excellent.
Old Aug 23rd, 2021, 01:25 PM

Don’t pass up Delphi, it’s simply wonderful. I will always regret not going to Meteora when I had the chance. A couple more places in Northern Greece to consider are Vergina and Ioannina.
https://greekreporter.com/2021/06/08/vergina-tombs-macedonia-greek-origin/
https://www.visitgreece.gr/mainland/epirus/ioannina/
Old Aug 24th, 2021, 12:36 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for the responses, just a quick question - are the roads very steep for driving?
Old Aug 24th, 2021, 12:45 AM

Received 12 Likes on 1 Post
I highly recommend Meteora! Loved it!
Old Aug 24th, 2021, 06:17 AM

Originally Posted by patriciatbrogan View Post
Thank you for the responses, just a quick question - are the roads very steep for driving?
That is very location dependent, so you'll have to spell it out, but if you've driven around in the Peloponnese, you will probably be fine anywhere--did you drive into Kardamyli by any chance? (that drive made me hold on tight, but I was otherwise okay). I think viamichelin gives road descriptions.
Old Aug 24th, 2021, 02:18 PM

I'm going to the same area for ten days this September, also for the first time! I devoured every trip report here and on the Guide Routard forums, and settled on:

4 nights Thessaloniki - For the Byzantine history, and also for access to Pella and Vergina. (Late arrival, so three full days)
3 nights Monodendri - For Zagori villages and hiking in the Vikos Gorge. It was between the Zagori, Mt. Pelion, or Mt Olympus.or my nature fix, and this area seemed more adventurous. It was a hard choice.
2 nights Kastraki - For Meteora.
2 nights Galaxidi - For Delphi and Hosios Loukas, and because this looks like a nice town to use as a base.

(and then on to the Peloponnese)

And I'm also hoping these roads are manageable.

Last edited by michael_cain_77398; Aug 24th, 2021 at 02:20 PM.