Southern Italy Itinerary

May 17th, 2019, 04:12 PM
Original Poster

Southern Italy Itinerary

We have found so much great information by going through this forum and gleaning info from so many travelers. What a wonderful resource and such a collection of people. My wife and I will be flying to Naples the first week in June-total trip time including flights is 16 days. We plan on exploring the towns we will be staying in and driving to nearby places of interest. Any thoughts on this itinerary would be greatly appreciated.
  • Arrive in Naples, train to Salerno
  • Salerno (3 nights) explore what we can of the AC
  • Fly from Naples to Bari rent car
  • Polignano A Mare (2 nights)
  • Lecce (2 nights)
  • Matera (3nights)
  • Tropea (3 nights)
  • Drive from Tropea to Naples
  • 2 nights/1 day in Naples then depart for home

May 17th, 2019, 07:06 PM

Is there any reason why you couldn’t train to Bari on your first day and then visit Salerno and the Amalfi Coast after Tropea? That would cut down on travel and the drive from Bari to Polignano A Mare is quick and easy.

-Annie
May 18th, 2019, 01:33 AM

Train from Naples to Puglia is a pretty route up in the mountains. If you take the train you could hire a car from any number of places along the line which might make a better use of time.
May 18th, 2019, 06:13 AM

I just completed a similar trip, got back Thursday. Flew into Bari, out of Napoli.

I didn’t take the trains and did a 3.5 hour drive between the two areas, mainly because I added time in Vieste.

I spent 4 nights in Lecce and daytripped to Otranto, Gallipoli, etc.

then 2 nights in Ostuni to see the Valley of Itria. Then day tripped to Polignano, Monopoli and Matera our of Bari.

For the AC I’d take ferries instead of the bus to visit Positano, Amalfi and Ravello. Probably not enough time for Capri.

May 19th, 2019, 03:00 AM

As above: Salerno - Bari is a little more than 4 hrs by train (1 change at Caserta). You will need more or less the same time (door to door) if you take the plane.
If you plan to visit Gargano Peninsula or Tremiti Islands, the train ride is definitely shorter (3 hrs up to Foggia).
May 19th, 2019, 11:20 AM
Original Poster

So wished we could have taken the train! We love riding the trains and watching the countryside. kind of kicking myself now that we didn't (we had already purchased airfare)...oh well, a reason to return and do it next time. Our reason for visiting Salerno first was due to some of our accommodations (Air BnB's) being unavailable on the different dates. Our hope is that the trip is balanced and has a good flow to it.

Last edited by chopslot; May 19th, 2019 at 11:30 AM.
May 19th, 2019, 11:43 AM

One less night in Matera and an extra night in Lecce.