Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

BUYING AN AIRLINE TICKET FROM ATHENS TO CRETE UPON ARRIVAL IN ATHENS

Old Jul 10th, 2000, 06:38 PM
Katalin

Hello everyone,
My travel agent booked us from Victoria B.C.
to Athens on October 4th. We arrive in Athens on the 4th of October @ the wonderful hour of 4:45 a.m. I want to get to Crete a.s.a.p. for whatever reason she can't do it. Do you think I can just buy a ticket upon arrival in Athens. How much would it be? Thanks everyone.

Old Jul 10th, 2000, 09:12 PM
ct

check out Olympic Airways website at:
www.olympic-airways.gr

Old Jul 10th, 2000, 09:28 PM
Tom

Katalin, I was able to purchase tickets over the phone from the Olympic office in New York, and they arrived without a hitch. I no longer have the number, but unfortunately it was a toll call.

I also purchased tickets from Likouris Travel in Mykonos via the Internet. They were quite helpful.

I don't recall the cost of the tickets, but they were surprisingly reasonable.

Old Jul 10th, 2000, 09:48 PM
Lulu

Why don't you see if Olympic has an office in Vancouver? I believe they have an office in Toronto,which would mean that you'd be paying in Canadian funds.

Old Jul 10th, 2000, 10:47 PM
Diane

I used Dolphin Hellas Travel Agency in Athens to purchase my interisland tickets. As you are doing, I also connected to a flight immediately upon arriving in Athens, so they had to mail me my tickets a couple of weeks in advance, which cost just a little extra. I guess most people pick them up while staying in Athens before departing for the islands.

They were very nice, and I made it a point to go to their office on the return to meet the lady who helped me. They also assisted me with some lodging, and got me a better price than I was quoted over the internet. You can check out their web page:
http://www.greecetravel.com/dolphin

Also, you can do a search on them on this board -- there have been a number of posts from other travelers.

One thing, have a little patience. Sometimes it took a week to get a response, but in the long run, they are helpful.

Old Jul 10th, 2000, 11:12 PM
Katalin

Thanks to everyone for their help with this Athens to Crete thing. I did find a phone number for Olympic Airlines in
Toronto and also I will be checking out that Travel Agency in Greece someone mentioned. Thanks a bunch.

Old Jul 11th, 2000, 06:38 AM
Stan Lepelstat

I also used Dolphin Hellenas,but found out each time they billed me in dollars the Amex charge I received was 3-7% higher then they quoted me.They quoted me $118.60 for 2 Olympic Tickets.When I received my charge the price was $126 and they would do nothing.Buyer beware

Old Jul 15th, 2000, 03:34 AM
George

Katalin
If you ll be flying with an airline other than Olympic,you will be arriving at the Eastern Terminal.From the Eastern terminal there are 2 airlines serving Heraklion and/or Chania airports.
There are Aegean Airlines and Cronus Airlines,and they both have "early bird" flights.In October there will be no problem finding seats on the spot.
Their check-in counters are a small hop away from the arrivals terminal.Just ask somebody from the airport personel or a cop to show you the entrance.If you will be flying Olympic then you can continue with Olympic,from the West Terminal.Transfer from West to Eastern terminal its a hassle(you have to go around the whole airport!!)

Old Aug 2nd, 2000, 05:01 PM
Vera

Katalin,
i would ask you to skip Greece altogether and especially Olympic Air. Olympic is the WORST airline i have ever used, especially for a cross-atlantic flight. i have flown to europe various types on different airlines and thought all were similar until i used Olympic. Olympic air has the worst on board and ground service, with rude and inattentive flight attendants, horrible food and the worst part...SMOKING IS ALLOWED THROUGHOUT THE ENTIRE CABIN IN NATIONAL AND INTERNATIONAL FLIGHTS. moreover, nobody seems to ever be able to help you at informations desks, etc.
skip greece.

Old Aug 2nd, 2000, 05:48 PM
Joanna

Katalin,

Ignore the previous post - Greece is not to be missed. I travelled from Athens to the islands and between islands on Olympic with no problems whatsoever. I don't remember smoking being a problem, esp. as the longest flight was less than 1 hour (Heraklion to Athens).

I agree its best to purchase your tickets before you go. My travel agent at home was able to book us Athens-Rhodes, Rhodes-Crete, Crete-Athens with no problems. We met up with some travellers over there who wanted to fly but couldn't as the flights were booked out. They had to travel by ferry which isn't bad if you have the time. We only used the ferries for shorter runs (Rhodes-Symi, etc.).

Old Aug 2nd, 2000, 07:47 PM
Diane

I took three Olympic flights in 1999 and don't remember anyone smoking. I do remember what the flights were like in 1989 and 1990. I had to hold something over my mouth and nose because the air was so thick with smoke.

Greece is not to be missed. So what if the flight attendants are not polite. The flights are only about 40 minutes, maybe less to Mykonos.

Old Aug 3rd, 2000, 05:59 PM
Tom

If I might add one more thing, I checked Olympic's web site, and it said that while smoking is allowed on some flights, there is no smoking on domestic flights and on flights to and from Cyprus, Israel and the United States. I've never flown Olympic across the Atlantic, but I took three island flights this summer, and I can confirm what Diane said. There was no smoking allowed -- at least that I could see.

(That said, Greeks seem to love tobacco. While I didn't see anyone smoking on airplanes, I did notice quite a few people lighting up in restaurants and other public places.)

As far as the country as a whole goes, I loved it, and I definitely want to go back some day!

(P.S. -- Regarding the Olympic staff, they struck me as fine.)