Greece is comparable to what?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 11th, 2003, 05:07 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can someone offer a comparison of travel in Greece to travel in some other country? Many thanks!
Old May 11th, 2003, 06:12 PM

Not really.
I can't think of another place that has the casual laid back style of the Greek Islands with that kind of climate and customs.
Can you be more specific as to what you are really asking?

If you are asking, "is it like traveling to the Hawaian Islands or the Carribean", then the answer is definately NO!"
Old May 11th, 2003, 06:56 PM

Greece is considered to be in western Europe, but there is a definite eastern flavor to it, and IMO, it's a very different experience from being in France, Germany, Italy,etc. We had such a good time in Greece and the Cyclades our first trip, that we went back to Crete the next year with two other couples. Europe is the only continent I've been on (except for N. Amer.)so perhaps I come from limited experience, but it was the most different culture I've been in. As I keep saying, I can't imagine anyone not enjoying him/herself in Greece!
Old May 11th, 2003, 11:57 PM

Can you be more specific with your question?
Not only does the sun and sea and the colours of Greece live in your memory but the warmth of the people, that is what sets Greece apart from some other cultures.
Old May 12th, 2003, 06:24 AM
Bootman4U

In a word, Greece is "incomparable" and unlike anywhere else..perhaps similar to western Turkey...you just have to go and experience it for yourself and then you'll know, for certain, if it was "worth it" or not.

Old May 12th, 2003, 06:29 AM

I agree with the other posters, Greece is in a class by itself. The food, the people, just the general feel of things, all different than any of the other countries we have visited. Visiting Greece was a long-time dream for me and I was not disappointed and neither was my husband. We both have wonderful memories of that trip.
Old May 13th, 2003, 12:39 PM
brotherleelove2003

In that part of the world, Turkey is the closest comparison. Morocco would also offer some of the same level of atmosphere and interest.

Old May 14th, 2003, 05:46 AM
Original Poster

Sorry I wasn't more specific. I am thinking about areas outside the major tourist "routes". Are comfortable, [not necessarily fancy] places to staying common? How common are English speakers? Is is smart to drive or is it better to use local busses,etc? How receptive are locals not in tourist areas to visitors? Anythings you need to be particularly alert for?

Travel in rural France or Germany is distinctly different that travel in rural Czech Republic or Hungary. Where does Greece lie on the spectrum?

Thanks
Old May 22nd, 2003, 11:43 AM

There are plenty of nice, comfortable places to stay in Greece (cheaper than the more western European countries, too). All the young people speak English and are more than willing to help you out. The Greek people are very friendly, very welcoming to travelers.